+ Reply
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Problems when updating iphone 4 to latest ios in itunes. Stuck in recovery mode.

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hello everyone, so here's the story. I had an at&t iphone 4 that I helped a friend unlock from factory. We live in Mexico and we needed it to work
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Problems when updating iphone 4 to latest ios in itunes. Stuck in recovery mode.
    Hello everyone, so here's the story.

    I had an at&t iphone 4 that I helped a friend unlock from factory. We live in Mexico and we needed it to work here. So I got it unlocked, but after the activation she started having a problem that no one could listen to her when she was making calls. So another friend tried to help her restore the phone (thinking that would fix the problem). I don't really know what she did, but in this process, the phone ended up stuck in recovery mode. Then I tried to update/restore it normally (to the latest ios) through itunes, and I got tons of error, 1600, 1, 9, 1604, 3194.

    So, updating to latest ios in itunes just showed errors all the time. After browsing online for many, many hours I found a solution that allowed the phone work to work again but I had to downgrade it to 5.0.1. It worked, the phone was activated and working well, and I even fixed the problem of no sound while making calls. I gave back the iphone 4 to my friend and told her it was working finally.

    Everything was good until she wanted to install some apps that required the latest ios version, so she tried to update in itunes, just like any normal update, and the phone got stuck again in recovery mode. So I have it now because I want to help her to make the phone work again.

    So, I don't want to jailbreak or anything, I just want the iphone 4 to install the latest ios version, just like normal, like any regular and simple update. Can someone please, please, give me instructions on how to do that?

    So first, how do I get it out of recovery? Then, if it has ios 5.0.1 installed, how can I safely upgrade to ios 6.1.3? It is needed for the apps she wants to install, so the phone can't stay in 5.0.1, but updating in itunes was what got the phone stock in recovery mode so I don't want that to happen again, and I don't want there to be problems in the future with new updates from apple.

    Please? Any help? I mean I need to SIMPLY update to latest ios, no jailbreak. Please, any suggestions?

    Thank you so much!
    Last edited by aerismel; 08-22-2013 at 10:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,499
    Thanks
    6,794
    Thanked 15,197 Times in 6,977 Posts

    Make sure you have the latest iTunes installed then try to restore to 6.1.3 again. Of you get an error let me know what error number it is and when exactly it occurs during the restore process.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    Alfroggy (08-24-2013)

  4. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Hi Simon, thank you for helping me out with my problems =)

    Ok, well, I checked for updates in itunes and it says I have the latest version, so that's good.

    Then, while phone is in recovery mode, I tried to simply restore (not by selecting specific ipsw but normal restore). It "extracts software", then when "veryifing software with apple" I get error 3194. This happened to me the last time I was trying to recover the phone. I mean before it got screwed up again, I always got this message when trying a normal restore from itunes.

    Then I tried the same normal update but in DFU mode and the exact same thing happen. Error 3194 in the same moment.

    Then I tried with redsnow Extras > Even More > Restore. Selected an IPSW: iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw (I selected this because this was the one that did a successful restore last time). I got the phone in DFU mode and it started to do stuff. It got to decrypting main file system and all was good, then uploading IBEC, then uploading ramdisk, then uploading kernel, then waiting for device (here the phone has the apple logo and a loading bar underneath it (which doesn't start to fill up), then I get an error "couldn't restore, unexpected error 2831).

    Then again redsnow, the same process as before but with IPSW: iPhone3,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw (which is the original one that itunes downloaded). Except that when it got to "waiting for device" part, in the iphone there was the apple logo only, but the NOT the loading bar. And it hangs there for a while I mean like 15-20 minutes and it does nothing. I guess it's stuck for some reason. Nothing happens in the phone or redsnow until like 20 mintues. The phone "restarts" back to recovery mode and redsnow is still "waiting for device". So I guess it has failed.

    So far, that's what I have tried. This is the video I watched that did restore the phone last time. How To Downgrade 6.1.3 to 6.1.2 or 5.1.1 & Jailbreak Untethered - iPhone 4/3Gs/iPod 4G Easy Way - YouTube

    But this time that I tried the same, it didn't work.

    So, if you have any other suggestions, I'm seriously open to anything. The last time was also so damn hard to get it restored, so I know that if I was able to restore it before, I can do it again. I just need help from more experienced people.

    Thank you Simon, really.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to aerismel For This Useful Post:

    Alfroggy (08-24-2013)

  6. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I just noticed that when using redsnow "Recovery Fix" It tells me:

    The IPSW for the following build is needed:
    iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A404

    What is going on with that? As far as I know there is only iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore. I mean ends with 5, not 4. Why the hell is it asking me for 9A404? There is not even such a file! Could this be the reason it's not restoring successfully?

    Damn I need help, please. This phone is crazy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Make sure you have the latest iTunes installed then try to restore to 6.1.3 again. Of you get an error let me know what error number it is and when exactly it occurs during the restore process.
    I already responded to this reply Simon, and it said that it was awaiting moderation. I hope it comes out soon because I give detail of all I did to restore yesterday. =)

  7. #5
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,499
    Thanks
    6,794
    Thanked 15,197 Times in 6,977 Posts

    5.0.1 had two builds for i4 I believe. Redsnow will want whichever is currently on your device. There was no real difference between the two though.

    Error 3194 means iTunes isn't able to contact apple to verify the restore. Could be a firewall or antivirus or something to do with your hosts file. May want to try another computer to restore it on.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    Alfroggy (08-24-2013)

  9. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Thank you Simon,

    So let me just double check if I'm correct. I have in my desktop two signed or stitched IPSW created with redsnow:

    264560993679_iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore
    264560993679_iPhone3,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore

    One is 5.0.1 and the other 6.1.3 as you can see. With those as far as I understand, I have to enter pawned DFU mode in redsnow or ireb or ifaith, then go to itunes, and shift+click the restore button and I can select either one of those (5.0.1 or 6.1.3) and it should restore without problem? Am I right? Or can I only restore to 6.1.3? Not sure about this.

    I already tried stopping antivirus and deleting apple stuff inside hosts file. Tried to restore again by entering pawned DFU in redsnow, shift+click restore, selecting 264560993679_iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore, and still got error 3194.

    When selecting 264560993679_iPhone3,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore in itunes, it goes through the verification with apple successfully, then stays in "preparing iphone for restore" for a while. The iphone still has a dark screen in this part, and after a while I get the error 1601.

    I went to redsnow, and submitted the shsh blobs to cydia server for 5.0.1 and for 6.1.3. Then I created a signed IPSW in iFaith for both versions. iFaith always hangs when zipping the signed IPSW, but in the end, even though it hangs, the files are in the desktop, so it's weird, but somehow it's working even though it's stuck.

    So I have:
    0000003D9910658F_iFaith_iPhone_4-5.0.1_(9A405)_signed.ipsw
    0000003D9910658F_iFaith_iPhone_4-6.1.3_(10B329)_signed.ipsw

    I put the phone in pawned DFU mode with redsnow, then When I try to restore in itunes for signed 5.0.1 version, it goes all the way to the "preparing iphone for restore", then "waiting for iphone", the iphone even showed ifaith icon and loading bar, but it never started to fill. Then I got error 9 in itunes.

    When I tried ifaith signed version for 6.1.3 it got stuck for a while in "preparing iphone for restore" then I get error 1601. Nothing appears in the iphone screen.

    I will try a different computer once I get the chance to move to another one. Right now, I don't have another one. But do you think that's it? I think it's very weird that I get errors all the time. I believe I'm doing everything right. =(
    Last edited by aerismel; 08-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to aerismel For This Useful Post:

    djyoyoma (08-23-2013)

  11. #7
    Evil Genius bbrks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    986
    Thanks
    170
    Thanked 197 Times in 148 Posts

    Just one thing I would like to ask. When you enter DFU mode and connect the phone to iTunes, do you get the message in iTunes that the phone is in recovery mode?

  12. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Just one thing I would like to ask. When you enter DFU mode and connect the phone to iTunes, do you get the message in iTunes that the phone is in recovery mode?
    Hi! Itunes always detects the phone in DFU mode or recovery mode. Everytime. Any help? Thank you!

  13. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    633
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts

    I'd say try different hardware. ie cable / USB port / computer (you're bound to have friends who would help?) also ret reinstalling iTunes. Also how long does it stall with the restore bar? I had an iPhone 3GS that I thought wouldn't restore but was just ultra slow!

    EDIT - is this the damaged iPhone from your other post?
    Last edited by docmagoo2; 08-29-2013 at 04:01 PM.

  14. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    I'd say try different hardware. ie cable / USB port / computer (you're bound to have friends who would help?) also ret reinstalling iTunes. Also how long does it stall with the restore bar? I had an iPhone 3GS that I thought wouldn't restore but was just ultra slow!

    EDIT - is this the damaged iPhone from your other post?
    Hi, thanks for your advice, I'll try that. And no, it's not the same iphone. They are different phones with different issues. This one is/was perfectly fine before trying to update last time.

  15. #11
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Hi, so I have tried changing computers. I tried in a PC and a Mac, and I get the same error 9 in all computers. Any suggestions? I'm guessing the iphone is now running 5.0.1 since it was the last IOS I installed.

    Would it be too much to ask someone to try to help me fix this by using the program teamviewer? So that error can be replicated? Maybe it's too much to ask for that, but I hope someone can help me out. I don't see many more options.

    Thank you all.

  16. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    wow, this is crazy, i just managed to fix my phone. here's what i did:

    1. entered pawned dfu mode with redsnow
    2. created a signed version of the ipsw I wanted to restore to using ifaith
    3. selected the signed version from previous step in itunes and restored successfully

    This is crazy. I tried that before. but anyway. that is good now.

    However, I have another question so I'm asking for more help...

    I'm in ios 5.0.1 and want to update to latest 6.1.3. I don't want to jailbreak, just normal update. However, that update was what made the phone get stuck in recovery mode. Is there a correct way to update from 5.0.1 to 6.1.3? I don't need backup or anything, I don't care if everything gets deleted.

    Please, tell me how to do this correctly. I don't want to end up the same place I did before...

    Thank you so much.

  17. #13
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,698
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 576 Times in 526 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by aerismel View Post
    wow, this is crazy, i just managed to fix my phone. here's what i did:

    1. entered pawned dfu mode with redsnow
    2. created a signed version of the ipsw I wanted to restore to using ifaith
    3. selected the signed version from previous step in itunes and restored successfully

    This is crazy. I tried that before. but anyway. that is good now.

    However, I have another question so I'm asking for more help...

    I'm in ios 5.0.1 and want to update to latest 6.1.3. I don't want to jailbreak, just normal update. However, that update was what made the phone get stuck in recovery mode. Is there a correct way to update from 5.0.1 to 6.1.3? I don't need backup or anything, I don't care if everything gets deleted.

    Please, tell me how to do this correctly. I don't want to end up the same place I did before...

    Thank you so much.
    Yes, enter DFU mode (doesn't need to be "pwned" DFU, normal will do just fine), and restore (not update) to 6.1.3 via iTunes. Once the restore is complete, make sure you set your iPhone up as a new iPhone and not from a backup of another iPhone. You should be good to go at that point.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

    aerismel (09-12-2013)

  19. #14
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Yes, enter DFU mode (doesn't need to be "pwned" DFU, normal will do just fine), and restore (not update) to 6.1.3 via iTunes. Once the restore is complete, make sure you set your iPhone up as a new iPhone and not from a backup of another iPhone. You should be good to go at that point.
    Ok great I got it. Just one question. Should I restore using the normal 6.1.3 ipsw file? I mean the one iTunes downloads? Not a signed version?

    Thank you for your help.

    EDIT:

    I tried restoring with the normal IPSW and I got error 1601. I did this:

    1. Used redsnow to put phone in pwned DFU.
    2. In itunes clicked shift+"restore" and searched for the 6.1.3 ipsw.
    3. Process took a while and finally got error 1601. Never even got to the apple logo with the loading bar.

    Is there something I did wrong? I thank you for your help.
    Last edited by aerismel; 09-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.

  20. #15
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,698
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 576 Times in 526 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by aerismel View Post
    Ok great I got it. Just one question. Should I restore using the normal 6.1.3 ipsw file? I mean the one iTunes downloads? Not a signed version?

    Thank you for your help.

    EDIT:

    I tried restoring with the normal IPSW and I got error 1601. I did this:

    1. Used redsnow to put phone in pwned DFU.
    2. In itunes clicked shift+"restore" and searched for the 6.1.3 ipsw.
    3. Process took a while and finally got error 1601. Never even got to the apple logo with the loading bar.

    Is there something I did wrong? I thank you for your help.
    Hmm, that error usually means something went wonky with the USB communication between computer and phone. If you've got another computer to try the restore with (same process, you don't even need pwned DFU, just enter DFU with the button combination) and another white USB cable, you should try it. If you go this route, make sure you use a USB port directly connected to the computer (look on the back of the chassis if you're using a desktop, look at the sides or back for a USB port if you're using a laptop).

    If this error persists on another machine, then we'll probably have to take a look at some error logs.

  21. #16
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Hmm, that error usually means something went wonky with the USB communication between computer and phone. If you've got another computer to try the restore with (same process, you don't even need pwned DFU, just enter DFU with the button combination) and another white USB cable, you should try it. If you go this route, make sure you use a USB port directly connected to the computer (look on the back of the chassis if you're using a desktop, look at the sides or back for a USB port if you're using a laptop).

    If this error persists on another machine, then we'll probably have to take a look at some error logs.
    Thank you. This finally worked and now I am in 6.1.3. Now just one final thing. From now on when there are iOS updates can I update like normal? Or do I have to do this same process of restoring instead of updating?

    Thank you.

  22. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    FIXED!!!! For me anyway, and I hope for you!

    So I tried to update to ios 7 and after downloading the software iTunes tried to update my iPad 3. I received the error 3004 and iPhone stuck in recovery mode the "Connect to iTunes" screen and could not get out of it. Completely annoyed!

    But then I remembered something from when I used to fiddle with iPhones. I opened a program I had called iOS data recovery, which can be used to force boot out of recovery mode (the "connect to iTunes" screen).

    My ipad was still connected to iTunes and in recovery mode. I opened iOS data recovery, selected my iPad (which was just shown by the serial number), then clicked "Exit Recovery" and BAM!!! It immediately kicked my out of the recovery screen and started my iPad back up to my home screen.

    Now, my iPad was still on 6.1.3 since the update to ios 7 had failed. But I didn't care, my iPad was fully functional again just like I left it before.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts