+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Updating iPhone 4 to 6.1.2

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I currently have a jail broken iPhone 4 and have an outdated 4.0 firmware. I would like to upgrade to 6.1.2 and then jailbreak. Can I just download the 6.1.2
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Updating iPhone 4 to 6.1.2
    I currently have a jail broken iPhone 4 and have an outdated 4.0 firmware. I would like to upgrade to 6.1.2 and then jailbreak. Can I just download the 6.1.2 Ipsw file to my computer and install it thru iTunes, then jailbreak with evasi0n (backing up my phone of course)? Are there steps that I'm missing to do this? Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmrock71 View Post
    I currently have a jail broken iPhone 4 and have an outdated 4.0 firmware. I would like to upgrade to 6.1.2 and then jailbreak. Can I just download the 6.1.2 Ipsw file to my computer and install it thru iTunes, then jailbreak with evasi0n (backing up my phone of course)? Are there steps that I'm missing to do this? Thanks.
    So there's a piece we'll have to talk about, and you're probably not going to like what I have to say...

The critical piece you'll need is your phone's SHSH blobs for iOS 6.1.2. Good news is, if your iPhone has been jailbroken since iOS 4.0, Cydia likely has these blobs on file for your device. The bad news is: almost all blobs saved automatically by Cydia for iOS 6.0-6.1.2 are invalid and unusable. If you saved them manually using a program like redsn0w or iFaith, then those blobs are likely valid.

Any other blobs are probably valid (e.g., 5.1.1 or 6.1.3), and you can use redsn0w's Restore feature to get it to work. However, the latest firmware you'll probably be able to upgrade to and maintain your untethered jailbreak is iOS 5.1.1.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes, the highest SHSH on my Cydia is 5.1.1 so I guess I can jailbreak to that firmware? So I can jailbreak to this version using redsn0w?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok I created a custom 5.1.1 ipsw with ifaith and have it saved on my desktop? Now what? Can someone provide step by step instructions after this, so that I don't royally screw this up?
    Thanks

Thanks

The good news is: it's hard to royally screw things up with an iPhone 4.

Enter Pwned DFU with iFaith or redsn0w, restore to that IPSW via iTunes and the Shift + Restore method. After you've got the custom IPSW restored, use redsn0w to jailbreak (open redsn0w with your iPhone in DFU mode to use that mode, I'd say that method of jailbreaking is generally preferable), at which point you should be good to go.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually I just connected to iTunes and it alerted me that 5.1.1 is available as an update. Can I update to that firmware in iTunes and just JB 5.1.1. with redsn0w? I would just save the 5.1.1. SHSH blob on my PC using iFaith.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmrock71 View Post
    Actually I just connected to iTunes and it alerted me that 5.1.1 is available as an update. Can I update to that firmware in iTunes and just JB 5.1.1. with redsn0w? I would just save the 5.1.1. SHSH blob on my PC using iFaith.
    No, the firmware will have to be restored from Pwned DFU, if memory serves. Even if you went with the Cydia server method of delivering your SHSH blobs. Updates (as opposed to restores) are bad news for jailbroken devices anyway… besides, the update process uses different (and normally not saved) SHSH blobs.

LinkBacks (?)