+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 GSM 5.0.1 should upgrade to??????

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi all, I had been reading many of your great posts and advise and understand it is not longer that easy to upgrade my iPhone to any firmware i wanted.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 GSM 5.0.1 should upgrade to??????
    Hi all,

I had been reading many of your great posts and advise and understand it is not longer that easy to upgrade my iPhone to any firmware i wanted.

My JB 5.0.1 is running perfectly but lately, i found more and more apps required a newer firmware to run. At least 5.1.1.

I install Tinyumbrella and manage to save some SHSH. (5.0.1, 5.1.1, 5.1.1b, 6.0.1 and 6.1)

Could you guys advise me which is a safest firmware upgrade i should go for?
    I saw many trying to restore back to Ver 5.xx from 6.xx.
    Could i guess this is due to many had upgrade to the newest 6.1.3 and trying to roll back?
    Or maybe the Ver 6.xx is having many issues like not stable for JB?

If i would to go for 5.1.1, should i be using the 5.1.1 or 5.1.1b shsh with the redsnow?

Any advise and comments is great appreciated.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, I went from iOS5.1 to 6.1 on my iPhone 4. I find 6.1 more stable than 5. The best feature I think is the way 6.1 handles the "open in" option. Things which don't work on 6 are wraparound, deck, Timer Plus, Play Awake, Noticall, AppFront and Apptivator (use App Activate instead). I couldn't get Redsnow to upgrade the iOS, so I used iFaith, created a custom ipsw with 6.1 blobs and shift restore with iTunes (tinyumbrella not needed)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Hi, I went from iOS5.1 to 6.1 on my iPhone 4. I find 6.1 more stable than 5. The best feature I think is the way 6.1 handles the "open in" option. Things which don't work on 6 are wraparound, deck, Timer Plus, Play Awake, Noticall, AppFront and Apptivator (use App Activate instead). I couldn't get Redsnow to upgrade the iOS, so I used iFaith, created a custom ipsw with 6.1 blobs and shift restore with iTunes (tinyumbrella not needed)
    Hi, thank you for sharing.

Luckily i do have the 6.1 SHSH hence i could take the same path as you.
    Could you share the problem for Redsnow when you upgrade the iOS?

I will need to go read up on iFaith.
    Yet to read on the function of it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, I have always used Redsnow, but on this occasion, (I don't know why), After stitching my blobs to the ipsw, I got iTunes restore errors, didn't reach even half way. While the same process with iFaith worked first time.

Thanks

SHSH blobs for IOS 6.xx saved with Tiny Umbrella are corrupt. You cant use them. Only if you have saved them locally on your computer, at the time when those IOSs were signed by Apple.
    Install iFaith and check with it, if the blobs are OK or not.