Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs 4.3.3 jailbroken to newest jailbreak for a noob

Default 3gs 4.3.3 jailbroken to newest jailbreak for a noob
    I'm sorry if this has already been asked but Im having trouble finding the correct method as im new to most of the terminology used. i have my first iphone which is a 3gs running 4.3.3 and was already jailbroken when i got it. can anybody tell me whats the newest os i can have whilst still being jailbroken and where do i start please. p.s i should also note that im not interested in saving any data

Thanks

Okay, two questions for you before we begin:

1) What SHSH blobs do you have saved for your phone? You can check Cydia's stash for your device by going to the "TSS Center" on the front page of Cydia. However, I have to warn you: unless you manually saved your SHSH blobs using a program like iFaith or redsn0w, any blobs you have saved for any 6.x version of iOS are probably invalid and unusable.
    2) Does your device have the "old" or "new" bootrom? If you don't know offhand, there's a quick-and-dirty check that resolves most scenarios: look at the first five characters of your phone's serial number. If it falls within the range of **920... - **945..., then the odds are very good that you have an old-bootrom device. Anything else, you probably have a new-bootrom device.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Killfrenzy (06-29-2013)

thanks for the reply orby ok looking on tss i have "shsh: ios 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1r1, 4.3.3, 6.1.3" i dont know about manually saving i guess they appeared there just by loading the cydia app apart from 6.1.3 which i clicked on something yesterday in the tss centre for it to appear.
    the serial number in settings/general/about is **012****** so i guess not but i seem to recall something indicating an old bootrom
    im probably wrong but ill tell you my model number if it makes a difference MC133B.
    also when i said aboutnot being interested in saving data what i meant was that i DONT want to save data ie fresh outta the box plus jailbreak.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Killfrenzy View Post
    thanks for the reply orby ok looking on tss i have "shsh: ios 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1r1, 4.3.3, 6.1.3" i dont know about manually saving i guess they appeared there just by loading the cydia app apart from 6.1.3 which i clicked on something yesterday in the tss centre for it to appear.
    the serial number in settings/general/about is **012****** so i guess not but i seem to recall something indicating an old bootrom
    im probably wrong but ill tell you my model number if it makes a difference MC133B.
    also when i said aboutnot being interested in saving data what i meant was that i DONT want to save data ie fresh outta the box plus jailbreak.
    I'd be quite astonished if your device was an old-bootrom with that serial number. sn0wbreeze and/or redsn0w can identify the bootrom version with some measure of success if the device is connected to your computer while in DFU mode.

However, unless you've got that old bootrom, unfortunately, you can only restore to versions of iOS you have SHSH blobs for. 6.1.3 can only be jailbroken "tethered," meaning the device must be connected to redsn0w or similar every time it's powered off or runs out of battery before it will operate again. So it sounds like you won't be able to advance from iOS 4.3.3 and maintain your jailbreak.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Killfrenzy (06-29-2013)

i'll take it from you that its not the old bootrom, i did download redsn0w however it didnt have an option for finding the bootrom and i didnt wanna button bash lol. anyway now that it shows 6.1.3 on my tss centre in cydia does that mean that i can upgrade to it at any point, even if apple brings out 6.1.4 for example. If that is true then what are the odds of getting 6.1.3 untethered in the near future?

Thanks

When you connect the iPhone in DFU mode, redsn0w should just display "iPhone 3GS (old/new bootrom) connected" along the bottom of the screen.

That 6.1.3 in the TSS Center does in fact mean you can upgrade to 6.1.3 at any time with those SHSH blobs and a little trickery, even when Apple supersedes 6.1.3. I hate to tell you this, but I doubt iOS 6.1.3 will receive an untethered jailbreak (it may receive one if/when the iOS 7 jailbreak launches, to take care of folks stuck on iOS 6 forever, like yourself).