Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Switching phones

Default Switching phones
    Hi guys,

Last week I had a bit of trouble with my iPhone 5 and had to restore to 6.1.4. This weekend I purchased a jailbroken iPhone 5 on eBay, and it will be arriving this week.

That phone is on 6.1.2. What steps do I need to do to make that phone my current phone? Is it just a matter of swapping out the sim card and restoring from a backup in iTunes? Will iTunes care that I am not on the latest firmware version when I activate? I want to make sure I don't screw anything up this time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshlogic View Post
    Hi guys,

Last week I had a bit of trouble with my iPhone 5 and had to restore to 6.1.4. This weekend I purchased a jailbroken iPhone 5 on eBay, and it will be arriving this week.

That phone is on 6.1.2. What steps do I need to do to make that phone my current phone? Is it just a matter of swapping out the sim card and restoring from a backup in iTunes? Will iTunes care that I am not on the latest firmware version when I activate? I want to make sure I don't screw anything up this time!
    Just pop the SIM in immediately, yes... assuming the phone is unlocked or you have a SIM that matches the carrier lock of the phone. While you could restore from a backup, I expect iTunes to complain about the backup coming from a newer firmware version. I'd personally advise you just set up the iPhone as a new phone (e.g., select your apps/music/etc. to install manually) instead of trying to restore from a backup, it's much less apt to go sideways on you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (06-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Just pop the SIM in immediately, yes... assuming the phone is unlocked or you have a SIM that matches the carrier lock of the phone. While you could restore from a backup, I expect iTunes to complain about the backup coming from a newer firmware version. I'd personally advise you just set up the iPhone as a new phone (e.g., select your apps/music/etc. to install manually) instead of trying to restore from a backup, it's much less apt to go sideways on you.
    Thank you very much! All I really am concerned about are my text messages. Is there a way to just load those on when setting the phone up as new?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshlogic View Post
    Thank you very much! All I really am concerned about are my text messages. Is there a way to just load those on when setting the phone up as new?
    As far as I am aware, there isn't a way to do it without using a backup from a stock phone... you can try a third-party recovery tool, but I can't vouch for any such tools.

You can try editing the info.plist of your backup files collected via iTunes from Product Version 6.1.4 Build Version 10B329 to Product Version 6.1.2 Build Version 10B146... but I wouldn't recommend that except as a last-ditch effort.

These files are located at
    Code:
    ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup
    on OS X and

Code:
    %AppData%\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
    on Windows XP/Vista/7. While the folder names and their contents are hashed, use the last date modified to find your particular backup (you may also note that the hashes of the folders are the UDID of the device backed up).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (06-24-2013)