+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Recovering/reinstalling apps from Cydia after upgrade?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I may have missed an explanation on how to do this and if so, my apologies. I currently have a 3GS and am thinking about upgrading to a 4S. I'm
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Recovering/reinstalling apps from Cydia after upgrade?
    I may have missed an explanation on how to do this and if so, my apologies.

I currently have a 3GS and am thinking about upgrading to a 4S. I'm looking for a way to backup and restore my Cydia apps after I jailbreak the new phone, since it's such a pain to reinstall apps through Cydia and enter registration codes for the paid apps I have (such as PdaNet) because that requires opening up an old email program and searching for the information.

Is there a way that I can do this? Back up my regular iPhone content on my Mac, get the new iPhone, restore from that backup and then jailbreak and reinstall my apps downloaded through Cydia without having to search for the packages, reinstalling through Cydia and manually entering registration codes?

Thanks in advance...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, PKGBackup will save all your Cydia tweaks and their settings to Dropbox. You can also select Photos, contacts, SMS, app data and other things as needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DC_Dave For This Useful Post:

hbelkins (06-28-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    IT worked. Thanks!

Thanks

Hi, that's good news. I forgot to mention, if you are restoring to a different iOS, check the Cydia tweaks are compatible first and it is probably best to only select the actual Cydia tweaks/apps from your PGKbackup backup and not their dependancies or other system files. For example, you wouldn't want to restore Racoon on an Evasion jailbreak. So I usually deselect all system files in the packages section of the restore screen as these would have been installed already when you jailbroke your iPhone. I also deselect any dependancies as PKGbackup sorts out and installs any additional dependant files your tweaks may need to work anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm upgrading from a 3GS to a 4S this weekend. I hope the iOS is old enough to allow me to jailbreak. If not, I'm ready when a jailbreak is issued.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    PkgBackup FAIL.

The new 4S has iOS 6.1.2, which means it was jailbreakable with Evasion. The jailbreak was successful, the reinstall of PkgBackup went off without a hitch as Cydia already had my record of payment, but the restore was an Epic Fail. I selected everything from my Dropbox Backup, but my Cydia-installed apps (PdaNet, etc.) failed to load when I backed up. Thankfully i was able to look at the screen of my old 3GS to figure out what I had and where it went, and I had saved my PdaNet registration email from five years ago, but PkgBackup did not restore as advertised. I feel like I wasted 10 bucks.

Thanks

Hi, I suspect PKGbackup stumbled at PdaNet, because its payment system is not through Cydia. So when PKGbackup tried to install PdaNet there may have been a problem as the trial period would have ended. Anyway try deselecting that one next time. You still have a good backup on Dropbox though which is always handy to have. You can select/deselect/customise your individual packages when restoring and make regular automated backups with PKGbackup so I don't think you have wasted your money. An example of a Cydia tweak which stopped the restore process with PKGbackup for me was DebianSaverLaunchDaemon. DSLD worked fine on iOS5.0.1, I didn't know it wasn't iOS5.1 compatible so when I upgraded to iOS5.1 and restored my Cydia backup using PKGbackup, it failed at DSLD and went no further as once installed, it conflicted with the deb download process. Once I had deselected it and restarted the restore process, PKGbackup worked fine.
    Last edited by DC_Dave; 07-02-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    When I re-installed PdaNet through Cydia, it showed up as the full version and I did not have to re-enter my serial number. That was a pleasant surprise. I also found that CallClear caused the phone app to fail to open, and it appears that the phone app allows the deletion of individual calls natively now, which is also good news.