+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbie Needs Guidance

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Newbie Needs Guidance
    Hi, I just bought a used factory unlocked iPhone 4S, itís jailbroken (ver 6.1) and contains several paid apps purchased by the previous owner. I also own an unlocked iPhone 4 with several paid apps (not jailbroken) that Iím going to give to my wife.

Iím not sure how to proceed because I really donít want to screw up the jailbreak if I donít have to.

Is okay to just insert the SIM card from my old iPhone 4 into the new iPhone 4S, connect it to my PC, register it in iTunes and then restore the apps, etc. from my old iPhone 4 iTunes backup? Or do I have to start over from scratch?

Also, will the paid apps that are on the jailbroken phone transfer to me?

Since Iím new to jailbreaking (but have been reading a lot), I would really appreciate advice from you experienced JBíers on how to proceed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regor101 View Post
    Hi, I just bought a used factory unlocked iPhone 4S, itís jailbroken (ver 6.1) and contains several paid apps purchased by the previous owner. I also own an unlocked iPhone 4 with several paid apps (not jailbroken) that Iím going to give to my wife.

Iím not sure how to proceed because I really donít want to screw up the jailbreak if I donít have to.

Is okay to just insert the SIM card from my old iPhone 4 into the new iPhone 4S, connect it to my PC, register it in iTunes and then restore the apps, etc. from my old iPhone 4 iTunes backup? Or do I have to start over from scratch?

Also, will the paid apps that are on the jailbroken phone transfer to me?

Since Iím new to jailbreaking (but have been reading a lot), I would really appreciate advice from you experienced JBíers on how to proceed.
    It is totally okay to plug your SIM into your new 4S then connect it to iTunes. Personally I'd advise setting up your iPhone as "new" (i.e., manually selecting your apps to install) instead of restoring from a backup, but you can do a restore from backup (right-click your device in the sidebar of iTunes, then click "Restore from Backup") if you'd like.

The paid applications on the device that weren't purchased under your Apple ID will not transfer over to you. You can authorize your computer to use them if you know the previous owner's Apple ID and password, but otherwise, they won't be much use to you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay, thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Orby,

I followed your advice and manually selected my apps to reinstall and I’m up and running.

Thanks again.