Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Getting pics off of phone in recovery mode

Default Getting pics off of phone in recovery mode
    I need some help from someone that knows what they are doing. I know enough about these phones and jailbreaking to keep myself out of trouble, but now I have been called upon to help a friend out and this is a little past my pay grade.

Here is where I stand. A buddy of mine has a jailbroken iphone 4s that his wife used and she tried to update through itunes to the latest IOS. She could not figure out how to use the jailbreak, or even want to use the jailbreak powers. So she read to get rid of a jailbreak you must "update and restore". We all know what that gets you. An iphone stuck in recovery mode that wont work until you factory reset it. Phone has not been restored yet. It is just stuck in recovery mode.

Now I have the task of trying to get some important pictures of their newborn baby off of this phone. They have not backed the phone up in the past 3 or 4 months and those are the pics I need to get off. iCloud was not being used. Photo stream was not turned on. So none of the easy fixes are available. I have tried tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery with no luck.

Could someone guide me in he right direction, or even tell me if it is possible to retrieve pictures off of a phone that is stuck in recovery mode due to updating a jailbroken phone through iTunes.

Seams that you know enough, but did you try to kick it out of the recovery mode?

Thanks

It's a 4S right? That limits our options of exiting recovery mode to the "official" (the TU "Exit Recovery") method... no backups or photo stream? Gulp. Have you checked the iTunes syncing computer? If iCloud backups are disabled, then iTunes should be handling the backups--no use if the phone doesn't see iTunes, though.

There's the very off chance that the device will still have AFC2 access into the filesystem (e.g., iFunbox), but this one is starting to sound like it's too far gone.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Seams that you know enough, but did you try to kick it out of the recovery mode?
    I tried to get it out of recovery by using tiny umbrella and by booting into DFU mode. No luck. Is there another way?

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    It's a 4S right? That limits our options of exiting recovery mode to the "official" (the TU "Exit Recovery") method... no backups or photo stream? Gulp. Have you checked the iTunes syncing computer? If iCloud backups are disabled, then iTunes should be handling the backups--no use if the phone doesn't see iTunes, though.

There's the very off chance that the device will still have AFC2 access into the filesystem (e.g., iFunbox), but this one is starting to sound like it's too far gone.
    I did check iTunes and the last sync was about 3 months ago. The pictures I need to get off are the more recent ones.
    I have never dealt with digging into the file system but will do a little research and see what I can come up with using a program like funbox.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by corsini77; 06-12-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Does anybody else have any suggestions for this? I am about to just tell him its a lost cause.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, redsnow, extras, even more, Backup will report if you have afc2add running.
    If you do, you can specify the folder to backup.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Hi, redsnow, extras, even more, Backup will report if you have afc2add running.
    If you do, you can specify the folder to backup.
    I will not be able to try this until later today but will redsnow recognize an iPhone 4S that was jailbroken with evasion? Also, I don't think the afc2add package was installed on this phone unless it got installed when installing a different package. This phone was used by someone that had no business having a jailbroken iphone. She knew very little about its capabilities. So I know she would not have installed it unless it came with something girly or pink or a social networking tweak.

Thanks

Hi, the backup option in Redsnow informs you if you have afc2add installed, it works with my iPad2 so should work on an iPhone 4S. But then my iPad is not stuck in recovery mode. Have you tried Recboot 2.2 for the Mac?

There is also a utility called make_no_erase_ipsw_r1.exe which I have used when on iOS4, but it does say it works on iOS5, might be worth a go as a last resort to make a ipsw which does not erase your data.
    Read post #18

iphone 4 - stuck in infinite boot loop - Page 2

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Hi, the backup option in Redsnow informs you if you have afc2add installed, it works with my iPad2 so should work on an iPhone 4S. But then my iPad is not stuck in recovery mode. Have you tried Recboot 2.2 for the Mac?

There is also a utility called make_no_erase_ipsw_r1.exe which I have used when on iOS4, but it does say it works on iOS5, might be worth a go as a last resort to make a ipsw which does not erase your data.
    Read post #18

iphone 4 - stuck in infinite boot loop - Page 2
    Afc2add is not installed on this iPhone, Redsnow told me so. Also with the second utility you said for me to try, is there a MAC version floating around anywhere as all I can find is the .exe version and I do not have BootCamp nor do I want anything that will run on Windows running on my MAC.

Thanks

Hi, no erase ipsw is windows only, never tried it on iOS6, but will see if it produces the no erase ipsw on my laptop. Here is a link for Recboot, worth a go in case it boots you out of recovery

RecBoot.2.2_mac.zip

Ok, I downloaded recboot. When I connect the phone it says recovery device connected. When I hit exit recovery it switches to recovery device not connect and the phone reboots back to the itunes recovery screen then recboot says recovery device connected again. Phone does not come out recovery.
    If I put iPhone in DFU mode recboot never recognizes the phone.

Thanks

Hi, I tried the make_noerase_ipsw_r1.exe on a iPhone 4S 6.1.3 ipsw and it built the non erase version. I couldn't upload it to Box.net as the file is too big for my free account