+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: After Failed 6.1.4 Update, Jailbroken iPhone 5 on 6.1.3 stuck on connect to Itunes

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
So heres some background: I have an iPhone 5 I jailbroke it as soon as the i5/6.x OS jailbreak came out Im not sure if I updated it, but I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation After Failed 6.1.4 Update, Jailbroken iPhone 5 on 6.1.3 stuck on connect to Itunes
    So heres some background:
    • I have an iPhone 5
    • I jailbroke it as soon as the i5/6.x OS jailbreak came out
    • Im not sure if I updated it, but I guess I did, as its on 6.1.3 now
    • I went to restore and update to 6.1.4, and got a 1602 error
    • My iPhone is now stuck on the connect to itunes screen and itunes does not recognize it

I have attempted to get into DFU mode and Recovery mode and neither are working for me.

Any suggestions or 3rd party apps I can try?

Thanks so much

Thanks

Your best bet is DFU mode, and there's no real way to "back-door" it if your phone isn't recognized by the computer. This may be a superfluous question, but you are attempting to enter DFU mode (ten seconds of holding both buttons, then fifteen seconds or iTunes recognizing a "Recovery Mode" device after holding just the home button) with the phone connected via USB cord to your computer?

Failing that, the only other thing I would advise is try letting the phone's battery discharge fully (not even the little red icon should appear). You can speed this up if you are comfortable opening your iPhone up, voiding your warranty, and disconnecting the battery for sixty seconds, but I strongly advise against this route unless you know exactly what you're doing and assume all the risks of opening it up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

lacrosse717 (06-05-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Your best bet is DFU mode, and there's no real way to "back-door" it if your phone isn't recognized by the computer. This may be a superfluous question, but you are attempting to enter DFU mode (ten seconds of holding both buttons, then fifteen seconds or iTunes recognizing a "Recovery Mode" device after holding just the home button) with the phone connected via USB cord to your computer?

Failing that, the only other thing I would advise is try letting the phone's battery discharge fully (not even the little red icon should appear). You can speed this up if you are comfortable opening your iPhone up, voiding your warranty, and disconnecting the battery for sixty seconds, but I strongly advise against this route unless you know exactly what you're doing and assume all the risks of opening it up.
    Firstly, thank you so much for the quick response! And yes, I have been attempting to DFU with it plugged in. However, my computer does recognize my iPhone (it makes the noise, and even says device recognized, etc.) but itunes does not. When I attempt DFU mode, my iphone goes black and still Itunes does not recognize it, despite how long I hold in the home button.

I guess I will continue to try to get into DFU mode.

and some additional info, my itunes IS up to date.
    Last edited by lacrosse717; 06-05-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse717 View Post
    Firstly, thank you so much for the quick response! And yes, I have been attempting to DFU with it plugged in. However, my computer does recognize my iPhone (it makes the noise, and even says device recognized, etc.) but itunes does not.

I guess I will continue to try to get into DFU mode.

and some additional info, my itunes IS up to date.
    So the device is connecting to the computer, just not iTunes?

Did you perchance update iTunes today? If so, just for grins, try rebooting your computer. iTunes updates frequently come with driver updates for handling iDevices...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

lacrosse717 (06-05-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So the device is connecting to the computer, just not iTunes?

Did you perchance update iTunes today? If so, just for grins, try rebooting your computer. iTunes updates frequently come with driver updates for handling iDevices...
    In fact I did, but I have also restarted my computer multiple times since. I'll also note that I noticed "New Apple Drivers Being Installed" blip up after a restart. And yes, the computer recognizes the device, however, itunes does not.
    Last edited by lacrosse717; 06-05-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks

In fact I did, but I have also restarted my computer multiple times since.
    Hmm, there goes that theory I guess...

I guess that leaves either the "let the battery drain all the way" option, or if you've got another computer with iTunes lying around, you can restoring from DFU using that computer (plug into a USB on the back of the computer if it's a desktop, or on the sides if you're working with a laptop).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

lacrosse717 (06-05-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, there goes that theory I guess...

I guess that leaves either the "let the battery drain all the way" option, or if you've got another computer with iTunes lying around, you can restoring from DFU using that computer (plug into a USB on the back of the computer if it's a desktop, or on the sides if you're working with a laptop).
    Let me just give you a little more background; Previously to all of this, I tried to restore my iphone and I wound up stuck on the spinning ring. I tried to update and restore and this was the result. I then decided to uninstall intunes (the outdated version), and install the updated one. I did that. I then download the 6.1.4 os and attempted to update and restore. I got the 1602 error and now my phone is stuck where it is. It also does not allow me to hold the power button and slide off, instead the only way to turn it off-as it appears-is to hold the home and power button unitl it turns off.

I just tried it on another computer and got the error "The iPhone Update Server could not be contacted". This itunes, however, is not up to date.
    Last edited by lacrosse717; 06-05-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks

Let me just give you a little more background; Previously to all of this, I tried to restore my iphone and I wound up stuck on the spinning ring. I tried to update and restore and this was the result. I then decided to uninstall intunes (the outdated version), and install the updated one. I did that. I then download the 6.1.4 os and attempted to update and restore. I got the 1602 error and now my phone is stuck where it is. It also does not allow me to hold the power button and slide off, instead the only way to turn it off-as it appears-is to hold the home and power button unitl it turns off.

I just tried it on another computer and got the error "The iPhone Update Server could not be contacted". This itunes, however, is not up to date.
    For the "update server could not be contacted," make sure you're connected to the internet and you don't have any entries for "gs.apple.com" in your hosts file (delete any entries for gs.apple.com if they exist). You can check the hosts file by hitting Command + G, then type "/etc/hosts" without quotes on OS X... for Windows hit the Windows key + R, then enter "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" in the Run... dialog, again omitting the quotation marks, see what happens.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For the "update server could not be contacted," make sure you're connected to the internet and you don't have any entries for "gs.apple.com" in your hosts file (delete any entries for gs.apple.com if they exist). You can check the hosts file by hitting Command + G, then type "/etc/hosts" without quotes on OS X... for Windows hit the Windows key + R, then enter "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" in the Run... dialog, again omitting the quotation marks, see what happens.
    Wow. So heres what happened. I moved to my other laptop, updated itunes to the current version and let the drivers install. Then in cmd.exe i ran ipconfig/flushdna. Pluged in iphone, DFU, itunes recognized it and then proceeded to update and restore. I think all is well until I get the error "The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (2002)."

Wow. So heres what happened. I moved to my other laptop, updated itunes to the current version and let the drivers install. Then in cmd.exe i ran ipconfig/flushdna. Pluged in iphone, DFU, itunes recognized it and then proceeded to update and restore. I think all is well until I get the error "The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (2002)."

Turns out to fix the 2002 error, I unplugged my usb mouse on my laptop. Ran DFU and update and restore again and it worked out perfectly! Thank you so much for the help, Orby!
    Last edited by lacrosse717; 06-05-2013 at 11:33 PM.