+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: help upgrading iphone 3G to 4.2.1

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey there I am new to all of this, being mostly an Android user. So I had some questions I just can't find the answers to. First of, I have
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default help upgrading iphone 3G to 4.2.1
    Hey there I am new to all of this, being mostly an Android user. So I had some questions I just can't find the answers to.

First of, I have a 3G (not 3gs) iphone, it was unlocked and JB by a third party, who did a half assed job. I had to read a bunch to get it to work correctly.

The Phone has Cydia and Ultrasn0w, it is running IOS 4.1(8B117) and Firmware 06.15.00

I want to upgrade it to 4.2.1, just to have a bit more apps available. Can I upgrade the IOS without screwing up the JB and Unlock? or would I have to redo these?? as I mentioned I didn't originally do it, and have never done it before so would prefer not to.

I downloaded the file iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore from the downloads sections, the description says iOS 4.2.1 for 3G so I guess it is what I need. Now how is this installed? and again will it mess up the JB and Unlock?

Also is there a way to know which jailbreak was used on the phone?

and lastly, now that the phone is unlocked is it possible to see the unlock code used by Ultrasn0w just in case I need it again?

Thanks, looking forward to your replies.

Ed.

Thanks

That file from the downloads is a great starting point. Grab redsn0w 0.9.15b3 for OS X or Windows here. Open redsn0w, navigate to Extras -> Custom IPSW and point redsn0w to the IPSW file you just downloaded earlier. Redsn0w will work its magic, once it's done, go to redsn0w's Extras -> Even More -> Restore, using your custom IPSW redsn0w just built.

Hopefully redsn0w will now restore your device to iOS 4.2.1. Once it's done restoring, go ahead and hit redsn0w's Jailbreak button, only checking the "Install Cydia" box (you can also check the "Hacktivate" box if you don't have an official SIM for the carrier your iPhone is locked to). From here, open Cydia on your phone, and once Cydia completes its song and dance, search for and install ultrasn0w. Your iPhone is now unlocked. At this point, you may also want to downgrade the baseband version on your device so your GPS will work better. Open up redsn0w once more, go to Jailbreak, and only select the "Downgrade iPad baseband" box. When your device comes back on, it should have baseband version 05.13.04, again unlocked by ultrasn0w.

To answer some questions:

A restore typically erases all of the OS installed on the device and reimages it. It wipes out the previous jailbreak and unlock, but with the iPhone 3G, these are very easily reinstalled.

Most jailbreaks are very very similar, and it's wiped out on each restore of factory settings.

The iPhone unlocking process doesn't use codes the same way most other devices do. Simply installing ultrasn0w will unlock the device, not having ultrasn0w means it's locked again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks that helps a bunch,

Just one question, the phone is already unlocked and I have the sim card for the carrier we are using it in (not the original carrier), do I still run hacktivate or is this step not needed?

Also when running redsn0w, should I remoce the SIM card or should it be left in the phone?

Thanks again.

Ed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evillegas View Post
    Thanks that helps a bunch,

Just one question, the phone is already unlocked and I have the sim card for the carrier we are using it in (not the original carrier), do I still run hacktivate or is this step not needed?

Also when running redsn0w, should I remoce the SIM card or should it be left in the phone?

Thanks again.

Ed.
    When you restore the phone, it'll need to be activated again afterward. The only way to activate the device is to use a SIM from the original carrier or hacktivate using redsn0w then using a program in Cydia called "SAM" (available free from repo.bingner.com) to remove the hacktivation and "spoof" a SIM card from the original carrier so iTunes will be fooled into legitimately activating your device (then you install ultrasn0w to get cellular service).

While I'd personally remove the SIM while running redsn0w, it's not terribly important either way, as long as you make sure you hacktivate the device so you can get past the set-up screen.