+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 stuck in recovery mode

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hello, Bought my iPhone 4 about 2 months ago (it was already updated to the latest 6.1.3) and I've been eagerly awaiting the 6.1.3 or IOS7 release/jailbreak but I got
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 stuck in recovery mode
    Hello,

Bought my iPhone 4 about 2 months ago (it was already updated to the latest 6.1.3) and I've been eagerly awaiting the 6.1.3 or IOS7 release/jailbreak but I got impatient and decided to downgrade to 5.1.1 via iFaith (custom IPSW) and then jailbreak via RedSn0w.

Unfortunately, after setting it all up and rebooting the device it got stuck in a boot loop, the screen would show the apple logo then the spinning disk and iTunes would pick it up and sync it but it was just a dead spinning disk on my device. I tried rebooting using Redsn0w (despite it being an untethered jailbreak) but no luck.

After a few attempts to restore my custom ipsw my device has finally got stuck in Recovery mode and it shows no sign of escaping it.

I'm currently building a 6.1.3 custom IPSW and trying that as the 5.1.1 custom ipsw isn't doing anything. I click restore, select the file and it gets stuck on the 'Preparing iPhone for restore' on iTunes before giving me an error number (1604 I think?) along with a 'iPhone cannot be restored'.

Any idea what I can do?

Thanks,

Curtis.

UPDATE-

Managed to use TinyUmbrella to 'kick' it out of recovery so now it will load up in iTunes but the device won't load. I've tried putting it in PwnedDFU mode via Redsn0w and it works but the custom ipsws won't restore still.

Any help?!

UPDATE 2-

Managed to sort it. If anyone needs help for the same issue then;

Download Tiny Umbrella, plug device in and click 'Exit Recovery'.
    Then open Redsn0w and click PwnedDFU.
    Then open iTunes and restore your custom IPSW.

Might take a few goes but it will work eventually.

Now I'm wondering how I can update back to 6.1.3 as this isn't fun anymore haha.

Thanks
    Last edited by CurtisJT619; 05-30-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks

The same way you described in update 2 .
    Download IPSW 6.1.3, put your phone in DFU and than SHIFT + RESTORE to 6.1.3.
    BTW, tethered JB on 6.1.3 works perfectly

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    The same way you described in update 2 .
    Download IPSW 6.1.3, put your phone in DFU and than SHIFT + RESTORE to 6.1.3.
    BTW, tethered JB on 6.1.3 works perfectly
    Thanks, just wanted to make sure in case it somehow turned my iPhone into an iPod haha!

I only downgraded for an untethered jailbreak but for some reason whenever I used Redsn0w it just gave me a semi-untethered and Absinthe by Greenpois0n didn't work at all! So I'm going to head back to 6.1.3 and start fresh and wait for IOS 7.

Thanks again

Thanks

No problem, I am glad I could help