+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Help! My iPhone 4S got selective amnesia

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hello Guys and Gals... I really need your help and I hope this is the right forum... sorry for the long post but I wanted to include all necessary info.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Need Help! My iPhone 4S got selective amnesia
    Hello Guys and Gals... I really need your help and I hope this is the right forum... sorry for the long post but I wanted to include all necessary info.

I have an iPhone 4S 64Gb with iOS 6.1 jailbroken with Evasi0n. Everything has been working great for months until yesterday, when most of my info got wiped out.

Here's what happened:
    The phone froze when I tried to update some apps from the AppStore so I let it do it's thing. When I went to unlock it quite a bit of time later, it started asking me some of the questions you get after a restore (though I don't think all of them). I got freaked out, because I thought that the phone somehow upgraded to 6.1.3. (Luckily it did not) I was asked for the iCloud log in info, Location Services, etc. After I set it all up again, I got the lock screen unlock code input squares. I unlocked it, and got a pop-up window that said "Important Message" with an OK button underneath it. Clicking it did nothing, it just disappeared. At this point, I noticed that most of my apps were missing, and the ones that remained were scattered across the 9 pages with only a few on each page. There were no "Settings", or Cydia... Searching around, I found out that all my contacts, music, videos, pictures, emails, and text messages got wiped out. Strangely, despite the iPhone wanting to be set up again, some of the apps that remained have retained their settings, login and content. The phone also remembered my WiFi, keyboards, and some other settings.

What I've done so far:
    I restarted the phone in Safe Mode (Volume Up + Power) and my apps came back, though not in folders anymore. But still no texts, pics, music etc. So, I erased all but the essential apps to try and fit everything within the 9 page limit. Rebooting takes the phone back to the way it was with missing apps.

When I plugged the phone into the computer, iTunes congratulated me on my new phone and gave me the option to set up as a new phone, or restore from backup... Selecting restore from backup, I get an error message... "that there is not enough space on the phone". Apparently, iOS doesn't see the music and photos, but they are still there taking up space. I only have 4.12Gb empty space which is about right from before this problem happened.

In Cydia, I uninstalled all but the essential tweaks, but nothing has changed. Selective amnesia still remains. I have iLex R.A.T installed and my tweaks saved, but am worried about pulling the trigger on wiping out all Cydia tweaks. There is also the setting for reseting all settings... I've never used the app, so am kind of worried I will mess something up...

I can also access the phone through iFunBox. I've found a folder containing pictures that were part of text messages (that are now missing), but there is nothing in the DCIM (picture) folder, nor any music, but it is all still there taking up space.

The Plea:
    So... does anyone know what happened? How can I get my phone info back? I don't really care about the music, that can always be loaded back on. And I think most of my pics should have backed up a few weeks back. I just don't want to screw something up and lose my jailbreak, or have to upgrade to the dreaded perma-jailed 6.1.3.

Anyone have any idea on what I should do next? Would setting up my iPhone as new, and then restoring from backup be a bad idea? Would I lose my jailbreak? or be forced to upgrade? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Mike
    Last edited by Nooovie; 05-24-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks

Hindsight lesson: messing with iPhone backups on jailbroken phones tends to end quite poorly...

I'm wondering what happened that set all this off--you just updated AppStore apps and nothing like an OTA update or resetting all content and settings, right? This is most unusual behavior.

Anyway, at this point, you may want to pull the trigger on a full R.A.T. wipe and try restoring from backup again, however, while I think we can salvage your jailbreak without needing a restore, you may have to ultimately set the phone up as new (normally, I'd just advise this as the first line of attack, because whatever bug caught you previously is likely to bite you again if you restore from a buggy backup. However, I sense that this backup is essential, nigh irreplaceable, and thus we should work to keep that data with your phone).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey Orby! Thanks for your reply...

I swear I didn't mess with anything lol. I've been too afraid to touch almost any settings since Apple stopped signing 6.1.2 The only thing I can think of, is that I plugged the phone into my work comp to charge and iTunes popped up. Not sure if I messed with the iTunes library file at work though to clone my home comp iTunes library ?? But don't think so...

The weirdest thing... roaming around in iFunBox, trying to salvage stuff... I found my music and photos in Device>User>Library>Caches>igotya>media ... which contained my DCIM and Itunes_Control. It also has my Books which contains my books and pdfs from before the problem... (IGotYa was a Cydia app I had installed that takes a pic of whoever fails to unlock the phone.)

That iLex R.A.T. app looks like a lifesaver... should I still wipe everything? Or try to transplant stuff back? I don't mind setting things up as new as long as I hold on to my jailbreak. I agree it might be better. There are some tweaks that would be tough to be without... noAccessorySplash being one as I use my phone connected to my car stereo.

Thanks

Sounds like the backup went awry halfway through, or iGotYa interfered with the backup process... hmm.

If you don't mind starting with a totally blank canvas, I'd go that route (through RAT) and reinstall your apps and tweaks as needed, of course salvaging data first, if you'd like.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Something definitely went funky. I totally agree about starting fresh... backing up pics as we speak. About 2/3 done now.

As a test, I transplanted some voice memmos I had back to Device>User>Media>Recordings and it worked! I thought maybe one of the library files got corrupted... but I guess stuff just got shuffled. But who knows what else got FUBARed...

I wish iLex RAT was around last week when my sister corrupted the iOS on my iPad (whole other story... haven't had much Apple luck lately) It's still stuck in Restore Gonna have to restore that one to 6.1.3 this weekend.

So for iLex... hit option 12 - full Restore? I will do that as soon as my backup finishes. Then in iTunes - set up as new phone (that won't affect the jailbreak right?) sorry a bit paranoid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nooovie View Post
    Something definitely went funky. I totally agree about starting fresh... backing up pics as we speak. About 2/3 done now.

As a test, I transplanted some voice memmos I had back to Device>User>Media>Recordings and it worked! I thought maybe one of the library files got corrupted... but I guess stuff just got shuffled. But who knows what else got FUBARed...

I wish iLex RAT was around last week when my sister corrupted the iOS on my iPad (whole other story... haven't had much Apple luck lately) It's still stuck in Restore Gonna have to restore that one to 6.1.3 this weekend.

So for iLex... hit option 12 - full Restore? I will do that as soon as my backup finishes. Then in iTunes - set up as new phone (that won't affect the jailbreak right?) sorry a bit paranoid
    That would be my advice, yes. Should leave the jailbreak intact (Cydia should be visible on the home page once complete), but I haven't personally used this tool, so I cannot vouch for it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BrainSmashR's Avatar
    Thanks

iLex RAT is pretty awesome, but be aware that it's not perfect and will leave some features intact. However, I don't think that's the fault of the author....how could he/she possibly compensate for every single tweak on the market? I installed one of the free font editing apps, and even though it did remove the program, my "new" font is still active. Sorry, I don't remember specifically which app it was...like most folks (I would imagine), once I found a font I liked, I never touched it again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok... iPhone is reset. That iLex app is BRILLIANT! Thanks a bunch for your guidance Orby...

I also found that some little things stayed intact, but I don't think it's going to harm anything. Best of all, it erased all of the media files that had gone astray, and even though I erased them in iFunBox, were taking up space. Funny, iTunes would show all this free space (22Gb I think) after the iFunBox delete, while iPhoneDisk would still show 4.2Gb. Man, I am so grateful iLex RAT exists...

I installed the phone in iTunes as a new phone... now I just have to figure out how to stop iTunes from trying to install all of my apps :S Why do they insist on doing that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok... another problem. Even though my contacts are supposed to be syncing with iCloud, my contacts are empty... even if I add a contact manually, it disappears. The kicker... when I go to write an email, and start to type in the recipient name, the recipient gets suggested like it normally would from contacts... any ideas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nooovie View Post
    Ok... another problem. Even though my contacts are supposed to be syncing with iCloud, my contacts are empty... even if I add a contact manually, it disappears. The kicker... when I go to write an email, and start to type in the recipient name, the recipient gets suggested like it normally would from contacts... any ideas?
    I'd try deleting and reinstalling your iCloud account first, contacts can be screwy sometimes...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Orby... So I tried to install and reinstall iCloud contacts, adding contacts manually, etc. But my contact list is still empty with just my number showing, and when I add them manually, they just disappear. I've done some searching online, and it seems like the disappearing contact trick is pretty common. A lot of unhappy iPhone owners out there after iOS 5.1. And no solutions from Apple besides the advice to do a firmware refresh...

SO... i went to to my private>var>mobile>library... and low and behold... my AddressBook folder is missing. So I added it manually, hoping that the iPhone was just looking for a place to add them. No dice! If I add a contact manually, the Contacts app crashes. I guess the App files system is still missing the necessary file structure to write to? I am hoping that I can extract the contacts/AddressBook from a previous backup? Or does someone know what the file structure should look like?

Thanks for helping with this guys... I really appreciate it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Small update... luckily I found a copy of my AddressBook folder on my laptop, which I copied over before pulling the trigger on the iLex RAT reset. I transplanted the files from within that folder into the newly created "AddressBook" folder on my iPhone and rebooted the phone. The contacts app recognized the database and my contacts now show up. Which is great... HOWEVER... I can't erase, add, or edit the contacts. I mean, I can edit them, but any changes just revert back to their previous version. Good thing is that my texts and phone calls now show the contact's name and I think even image... I just can't make any changes.

I imagine the part of the Contacts App that is responsible for editing the database is looking for it, and saving it somewhere else, while the part responsible for displaying the contacts is happy enough with what is there?? I know this is probably getting down to programming, but how can I get Contacts to play nice again with AddressBook?
    Last edited by Nooovie; 05-27-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Forgot the word "editing" the database