+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will AT&T find out if...

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi, I currently have an iPhone 3GS active on AT&T, and I have the opportunity to bid on an AT&T-locked iPhone 4S on eBay. I had planned on using the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Will AT&T find out if...
    Hi, I currently have an iPhone 3GS active on AT&T, and I have the opportunity to bid on an AT&T-locked iPhone 4S on eBay. I had planned on using the new device basically as an iPod Touch on WiFi only, but I have some questions:

1) I know the SIM cards are different sizes on the 3GS and the 4S, but I also know SIMs can be trimmed. If I trim my current SIM down to Micro size for the 4S, will AT&T know if I put my SIM into the new phone? Would the 4S work properly? Will they be tricked into keeping my unlimited data plan untouched? Would I be able to switch my SIM back and forth (with the proper size adapter of course) and both iPhones will work once the SIM is inserted?

2) Another option is tethering. My 3GS is jailbroken and I have PDAnet for unofficial tethering. I'm normally very afraid to use it in case AT&T can tell I'm using data on my laptop. However, is it safe to tether to my new 4S-as-an-iPod? Will the "packets" (or whatever they're called) look the same to AT&T because the data used is also for an iPhone? If that's the case, will I be able to use Siri anywhere as long as I'm tethered to my 3GS's data?

3) Unrelated to my questions about the 4S, I've heard that AT&T will perform a free carrier unlock on iPhones that are out-of-contract. Is this true? I'd love my 3GS unlocked so I can travel abroad with it or switch to prepaid if and when I find a plan that's right for me.

Thanks for any help or experiences you can share. Thanks guys!
    ~M

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnonGuy View Post
    Hi, I currently have an iPhone 3GS active on AT&T, and I have the opportunity to bid on an AT&T-locked iPhone 4S on eBay. I had planned on using the new device basically as an iPod Touch on WiFi only, but I have some questions:

1) I know the SIM cards are different sizes on the 3GS and the 4S, but I also know SIMs can be trimmed. If I trim my current SIM down to Micro size for the 4S, will AT&T know if I put my SIM into the new phone? Would the 4S work properly? Will they be tricked into keeping my unlimited data plan untouched? Would I be able to switch my SIM back and forth (with the proper size adapter of course) and both iPhones will work once the SIM is inserted?

2) Another option is tethering. My 3GS is jailbroken and I have PDAnet for unofficial tethering. I'm normally very afraid to use it in case AT&T can tell I'm using data on my laptop. However, is it safe to tether to my new 4S-as-an-iPod? Will the "packets" (or whatever they're called) look the same to AT&T because the data used is also for an iPhone? If that's the case, will I be able to use Siri anywhere as long as I'm tethered to my 3GS's data?

3) Unrelated to my questions about the 4S, I've heard that AT&T will perform a free carrier unlock on iPhones that are out-of-contract. Is this true? I'd love my 3GS unlocked so I can travel abroad with it or switch to prepaid if and when I find a plan that's right for me.

Thanks for any help or experiences you can share. Thanks guys!
    ~M
    1) AT&T will give you a new micro SIM for your 4S if you just ask (don't let them charge you for it either--it may take some finagling, but it's doable). Asking for a new SIM should not alter your data plan. With the proper adapter, you will be able to use the SIM in either phone (but be careful with the adapter you use, it may get stuck or it may "drop" the SIM in the 3GS).

2) Tethering on AT&T's network, even using PDANet or a similar jailbreak program, is taking a very large risk to your unlimited data plan's safety. Siri will work anywhere you have an Internet connection, whether it's via Wi-Fi, tethering, or the cellular network in general.

3) Yes, AT&T will usually unlock any devices that have been under contract for twenty-four months (e.g., the contract was served fully) or if the device was replaced with an official upgrade (both assuming that you're still an active customer with your account in good standing, the phone hasn't been reported stolen, etc.). Fill out this form and hope for the best.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM
  2. 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM