+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G bricked after attempted jailbreak. Please read!!!

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi guys. I perform iPhone repairs daily among computer, other cell phones and tablets but I'm new here and I'm new to jail breaking and unlocking. But here goes: I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G bricked after attempted jailbreak. Please read!!!
    Hi guys. I perform iPhone repairs daily among computer, other cell phones and tablets but I'm new here and I'm new to jail breaking and unlocking. But here goes:

I have a friends phone. its an iPhone 3G that was used on the AT&T network in the USA. They came back to Canada and now want it unlocked to work with Bell.

Stupidly, they don't know a thing about and attempted to jail break (not unlock) the phone themselves using some software. I'm not sure what they used. Basically, the phone is bricked. The iTunes screen keeps coming up and when i try to restore it in iTunes it gives me the 1015 error. Unlocking this phone is not a problem but I need to get it back up.

Secondly, what is the best method to perform unlocks? I see there are a million sites where you can purchase unlock codes and there are also software you can purchase, too. I'm hesitant bout buying any codes or software from companies online because there are sooo many and sometimes it can be sketchy?? So if you cold recommend any sites or programs that are legit. Or a site where they listed the codes for free? Or can you do it manually? Like I said, I'm completely new to unlocking and jailbreaking. But right now I'm more concerned with the first issue up there. Thanks.

What do I do??!
    Last edited by n46krb; 04-24-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,630 Times in 5,903 Posts

Error 1015

This error is common when downgrading iPhones and 3G iPads. The problem occurs when the device's baseband has a higher version number than the baseband in the firmware you restored to. Just set auto-boot true in iRecovery or use iREB/TinyUmbrella/RecBoot.1 In case this is not working use Pwnage Tool to create a custom firmware WITHOUT the iPad baseband, put your device in pwned DFU Mode and restore via iTunes.

For unlocking, check this thread.
    At&t Unlocks for sale From your Fav. MMi Mod!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default RE:
    I followed the guide that was posted here:
    Have error 1015? It has you: Stuck? Confussed? READ THIS.

When I open the Quickpwn tool it gives me a Windows error "this program has stopped working" box. Sighh. Btw, I have no idea what this phone was jail broken with before. It was bricked every since it was brought to me so i guess I have no way of knowing? PLEASE I want to get this unbricked and just do a restore. Thanks.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Let's try this:

1. Since your 3g is bricked, let restore it to a working firmware first by following this step-by-step guide:
    Downgrade iOS 4.3 Final to iOS 4.2.1/4.1/4.0 [How-To Guide]Jaxov

2. Assuming that your 3g is on an iPad baseband (06.15), you can check by going to here Settings->General->About then scroll down to see the baseband version. Follow the following guide to downgrade the baseband:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3GS, 3G Baseband for Unlock (Windows)

3. If you want to use ultrasn0w to unlock then follow the guide below; otherwise pay for an IMEI unlock service ($4-$5 on eBay) or contact Cowboy, a moderator on here (he is legitimate).
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w

Good luck....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default RE:
    Quote Originally Posted by hcgaloi View Post
    Let's try this:

1. Since your 3g is bricked, let restore it to a working firmware first by following this step-by-step guide:
    Downgrade iOS 4.3 Final to iOS 4.2.1/4.1/4.0 [How-To Guide]Jaxov

2. Assuming that your 3g is on an iPad baseband (06.15), you can check by going to here Settings->General->About then scroll down to see the baseband version. Follow the following guide to downgrade the baseband:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3GS, 3G Baseband for Unlock (Windows)

3. If you want to use ultrasn0w to unlock then follow the guide below; otherwise pay for an IMEI unlock service ($4-$5 on eBay) or contact Cowboy, a moderator on here (he is legitimate).
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w

Good luck....

Alright so before I got your reply I went to " jail break unlock info . com " I didn't type it exactly because I'm not sure if links are allowed here. Anyway i think its a complete rip off. I thought they basically auto did it for you with some software. What they are doing is selling others free software. They provide you the links to the iPhone restore files or firmware files and a link to sn0wbreeze which is free anyway.

Long story short I went through the process with Sn0wbreeze and I got the phone back up and running but its on iOS 4.1?? I think. I need to unlock this so I can use it. By the way the phone seems to respond 'slow' to everything. I go to the Cydia app and I go to manage and i click sources and try to add the source THEY tell you to which is: " repo666.ultrasnOw.com" and then i get this error: " "sub-process /bin/bzip2"
    Before any of that I also get something telling me that the Cydia version is no longer supported so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I'm demanding my money back from this crowd. Please help?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sorry to hear that you are a victim of scammers, and hope that you get your money back.

Since the 3G is an old model and can only upgrade to iOS 4.x.x firmware, you need to make sure that you jailbreak using an older version of jailbreaking tools (redsn0w, jailbreakme, greenp0isn). That way the tool would install an older Cydia version that is compatible with iOS 4. Since you follow scammer's instructions, we have no idea what tools you used, etc...

Have you tried the instructions in post #4? Good luck