+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone stuck in recovery loop! help, i've tried everything I can think of

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I have an iPhone 4S stuck in recovery mode. It is running 6.1.1 and was jailbroken via evasi0n. I was not upgrading or installing anything when my phone crashed and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation iPhone stuck in recovery loop! help, i've tried everything I can think of
    I have an iPhone 4S stuck in recovery mode. It is running 6.1.1 and was jailbroken via evasi0n. I was not upgrading or installing anything when my phone crashed and went into recovery mode, it was working fine, I had just made a call and was making another when the screen went black and came back with the iPhone cable to iTunes picture. I have SHSH saved via TinyUmbrella. I tried to run the TSS Server and install 6.1.1 back onto the iPhone, it keeps giving me errors, mostly error 11. I tried also to install and upgrade to 6.1.3 just to get my phone working again, however iTunes gives me errors 1603 and 1604. Not sure what else to try, but hoping that someone can help me out and get it working again even if it is on 6.1.3 and unjailbreakable. I am using a Macbook Air on 10.8.3 with iTunes 11.0.2, everything is up to date. If necessary, I do have a windows 7 laptop available to use. (I have tried restoring on another MBP which was fully up to date and received the same errors, as well as trying on the Windows 7 PC I have which also resulted in errors and no restoration) I have also tried to kick it out of recovery with TinyUmbrella with no luck, keeps going back to the recovery screen when rebooting the phone.

Any help would be appreciated because right now I'm considering just dumping it in a glass of water for a day so that Apple cannot see that it is Jailbroken and pay the $50 to get a new one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

are you using a custom firmware?
    if not use snowbreeze to make a custom firmware, then retry..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can snow breeze create a custom firmware for the 4s? i'll try looking for it now and seeing if it will let me. i have not tried that because I thought 6.1.1 on the 4S is not a customizable firmware.

from what I can find online it only works for pre 4S devices on windows only. I can try it on my windows later but I don't see it supporting my phone anywhere I look it up.
    Last edited by rossdaboss07; 04-16-2013 at 01:57 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there anyway that anyone can think of that I could take it to apple and they would not be able to tell that I have jailbroken my phone? I was considering dunking it in water and a friend suggested somehow mutilating the 30-Pin port on the bottom so that they would not be able to connect it and could not tell. I do have AppleCare+ so if i could figure out a way for them not to notice that it is jailbroken by way of messing my phone up, I would be willing to do that and just get a new one for $50 even if it means no further jailbreaking. I just want it to work. I'm currently using an old android and dying by doing so. Not to mention not catching all of my texts due to iMessage is even more irritating. If anyone has any Ideas how to possible Dupe Apple by destroying my phone, please let me know. I'm willing to try anything since currently my phone is as good to me as a rock.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, you might try putting into DFU mode or Pwned DFU mode and then running evasi0n (untick install Cydia) or even the Redsnow recovery fix option. Failing that Pwned DFU mode followed by an iTunes restore to iOS6.1.3 should work (no need for TinyUmbrella)

Thanks

There is no way to restore 4S back to 6.1.2 or lower IOS. Only thing you can do is to upgrade it with iTunes to 6.1.3. If the upgrade is successful, the will be no trace of JB left.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it won't allow me to update to 6.1.3. Keeps giving me 1603 or 1604 errors, everything I look up for those errors says something along the lines of USB trouble but I've used 4 wires, 3 different laptops (one running windows, 2 mac) and one of those wires I used to restore my iPad this morning just to try it. I don't mind going to 6.1.3 but its not allowing it.

I have not tried running evasion after putting it into DFU mode, I will try that just to see if it'll do anything. I will also try redsn0w recovery or pwnd DFU and then update/restore, but I thought redsn0w didn't support the 4S, but i'll check on that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, a while ago after installing TruPrint I got stuck in recovery mode (USB logo) Restore would go through 70% and fail. I can't remember the exact sequence but it was something like DFU (or Pwned DFU) rejailbreak, DFU recovery fix, Reboot. Of course yours may be totally different!

Forgot to say, this kept me on the same iOS. Presumably because the initial restore failed.
    Last edited by DC_Dave; 04-17-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

To ensure, please shut down your computer, unplug the cable, replug the cable and connect your phone, then power on your computer again. Then follow these steps exactly:

1) With the phone ON (with the connect to iTunes screen on), hold home and power until the screen goes black, release the power button but continue to hold the home button.
    2) Hold the home button for 20 seconds. Nothing will happen from there so that's normal.
    3) Release, wait a few seconds.
    4) Now, hold the power and home buttons together for 10 seconds. Release both.
    5) Wait a few seconds.
    6) Now you will hold the power button, for 3 seconds then hold down the home button together until the screen shuts off again.
    7) Release the power button but continue to hold the home button for 20 seconds.
    8) Release the home button. iTunes will detect your device. Your screen should be blank/black.
    9) Hit "restore" in iTunes. Allow the restore to process.

This should work. If it does not, please report the error number you get once again. By the way, do you have SHSHs saved?

Edit: Also, if it doesn't work the first time, re-do the entire process at least 3 times before reporting back the results. Sometimes it takes persistence more than anything else. I've had a device do that to me before and I've done nothing different than what I have outlined. The only thing that got the phones to respond properly was to do the entire process over and over again.

Lastly, please absolutely make sure you're doing these steps exactly as they are shown - one mistake can cause the entire process to fail.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 04-17-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    To ensure, please shut down your computer, unplug the cable, replug the cable and connect your phone, then power on your computer again. Then follow these steps exactly:

1) With the phone ON (with the connect to iTunes screen on), hold home and power until the screen goes black, release the power button but continue to hold the home button.
    2) Hold the home button for 20 seconds. Nothing will happen from there so that's normal.
    3) Release, wait a few seconds.
    4) Now, hold the power and home buttons together for 10 seconds. Release both.
    5) Wait a few seconds.
    6) Now you will hold the power button, for 3 seconds then hold down the home button together until the screen shuts off again.
    7) Release the power button but continue to hold the home button for 20 seconds.
    8) Release the home button. iTunes will detect your device. Your screen should be blank/black.
    9) Hit "restore" in iTunes. Allow the restore to process.

This should work. If it does not, please report the error number you get once again. By the way, do you have SHSHs saved?

Edit: Also, if it doesn't work the first time, re-do the entire process at least 3 times before reporting back the results. Sometimes it takes persistence more than anything else. I've had a device do that to me before and I've done nothing different than what I have outlined. The only thing that got the phones to respond properly was to do the entire process over and over again.

Lastly, please absolutely make sure you're doing these steps exactly as they are shown - one mistake can cause the entire process to fail.
    What will saving your SHSH blobs do for you on an iPhone 4S, I saved mine but was told they could not help you revert back to an earlier firmware unless you had an iPhone 4 or earlier?

Thanks

I forgot the OP is using a 4S. Thanks for asking this question and pointing that out - the 4S can't utilize SHSHs beyond 5.1.1.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I forgot the OP is using a 4S. Thanks for asking this question and pointing that out - the 4S can't utilize SHSHs beyond 5.1.1.
    Damn, was hoping you may know a way to use them, kinda got my hopes up for a minute. Haha.

Thanks

Yeah, I'm sorry. At this time there isn't a way on iOS 6.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rossdaboss07 View Post
    I have an iPhone 4S stuck in recovery mode. It is running 6.1.1 and was jailbroken via evasi0n. I was not upgrading or installing anything when my phone crashed and went into recovery mode, it was working fine, I had just made a call and was making another when the screen went black and came back with the iPhone cable to iTunes picture. I have SHSH saved via TinyUmbrella. I tried to run the TSS Server and install 6.1.1 back onto the iPhone, it keeps giving me errors, mostly error 11. I tried also to install and upgrade to 6.1.3 just to get my phone working again, however iTunes gives me errors 1603 and 1604. Not sure what else to try, but hoping that someone can help me out and get it working again even if it is on 6.1.3 and unjailbreakable. I am using a Macbook Air on 10.8.3 with iTunes 11.0.2, everything is up to date. If necessary, I do have a windows 7 laptop available to use. (I have tried restoring on another MBP which was fully up to date and received the same errors, as well as trying on the Windows 7 PC I have which also resulted in errors and no restoration) I have also tried to kick it out of recovery with TinyUmbrella with no luck, keeps going back to the recovery screen when rebooting the phone.

Any help would be appreciated because right now I'm considering just dumping it in a glass of water for a day so that Apple cannot see that it is Jailbroken and pay the $50 to get a new one.
    Did you get the problem fixed is it working now?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Have not got anything to work, I am however about to try the long list of steps listed above a few times and see if hopefully that will let it do anything for me.

while trying those steps above, the screen won't even stay off after the first step, when holding the home button it automatically ends up showing recovery again. I kept following hoping it would line up but all 3 times it did not and would not allow the restore.
    Last edited by rossdaboss07; 04-20-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks

The screen not staying off is a tricky thing to maneuver past. You just keep trying until you get it to stay off. Keep the phone plugged in, hold home and power and when the screen goes black immediately release the power button and keep holding home.

There is no rhyme or reason to it, but it does work. Sometimes it takes me 10 tries to get it to stay off, but it will work. You just have to be quick when that screen goes black. I've done it multiple times, so I have confidence it'll work.

Edit: Stop following the above steps, since you cannot keep the phone off. Just follow this post. Your end result should be a totally black screen with iTunes recognizing it in DFU mode. iTunes will say it's in recovery but it's in DFU.