Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak Iphone 4 v5.1.1 - Can I still upgrade or no-go?

Default Jailbreak Iphone 4 v5.1.1 - Can I still upgrade or no-go?
    I have an iphone 4 I want to fresh install and jailbreak before selling. It has not taken an iOS update (no shsh blobs on file either) since 5.1.1. Is that my only option for a jailbreak now? I assume it is, just wanted to make sure there are no backdoors I could use to still get 6.1.2 on there or something.

I assume that since I never bumped it up, or even loaded TinyUmbrella or Cydia while it was signing newer firmwares, I'm stuck with 5.1.1 or 6.1.3.

Correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    I have an iphone 4 I want to fresh install and jailbreak before selling. It has not taken an iOS update (no shsh blobs on file either) since 5.1.1. Is that my only option for a jailbreak now? I assume it is, just wanted to make sure there are no backdoors I could use to still get 6.1.2 on there or something.

I assume that since I never bumped it up, or even loaded TinyUmbrella or Cydia while it was signing newer firmwares, I'm stuck with 5.1.1 or 6.1.3.

Correct?
    That would be correct, unfortunately. Though Cydia may have cached some blobs on your behalf in that timeframe, those blobs are likely "damaged" due to a bug in Cydia and they are thus unusable. Sorry.

However, if you got to iOS 5.1.1 via a restore (as opposed to an upgrade), you can use redsn0w or iFaith to fetch the blobs off your device and upload those to Cydia, so you'll always have the ability to restore to and jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 (which is better than nothing, IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    That would be correct, unfortunately. Though Cydia may have cached some blobs on your behalf in that timeframe, those blobs are likely "damaged" due to a bug in Cydia and they are thus unusable. Sorry.

However, if you got to iOS 5.1.1 via a restore (as opposed to an upgrade), you can use redsn0w or iFaith to fetch the blobs off your device and upload those to Cydia, so you'll always have the ability to restore to and jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 (which is better than nothing, IMO).
    Thanks for the reply, was what I was afraid of but serves me right for not taking the time to at least JB it until 6.1.2 when it was easy and signed.