Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: plz help with iPhone4 upgrade from iOS5 to iOS6 and secure and backup iPhone data...

Question plz help with iPhone4 upgrade from iOS5 to iOS6 and secure and backup iPhone data...
    I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 running iOS5.0.1.

What I was wondering that how can I upgrade to iOS6.1.2 and jailbreak it again without losing my SMS and Mobile No.

I fear losing my SMS and Mobile No...

Could any of you explain me a little how can I secure and backup my data on the iPhone 4 and refer to a guide that is very secure and upgrade to iOS6.1.2 from iOS5.x.x...

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as I know you can't. Apple stop signing 6.1.2 a couple days ago. If you upgrade you'll be on 6.1.3 with no jailbreak available. As far as backing up your phone, iTunes does that for you. All your contacts, SMS messages, App Data, Calenders, that stuff.
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

Agent 47 (03-29-2013)

How can I upgrade my manual iPhone 4 to iOS 6.1.2?
    Since iTunes now say iOS6.13 available.

Thanks

It's not possible to get iOS 6.1.2 anymore unless you have the SHSH blobs for it. But since you were never on iOS 6.1.2 you won't have them for your iPhone. My suggestion would be to stay on your current iOS til a new JB tool is released for a later iOS. Unless you don't care about your JB then just restore and upgrade in iTunes. Your device should be backed up on it's own before the upgrade. When it's done select your backup when prompted so

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

Agent 47 (03-29-2013)

what is SHSH blobs?

While I'm waiting for some answers from you so I search also on youtube.
    I do not know whether I'm allowed to upload video link here but it was shown there that I can download a file named
    "iPhone3, 1_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw" and use iTunes to upgrade iPhone4 to iOS6.1.2 manual.

Thanks

SHSH blobs are very small files specific your your iDevice (Meaning you can't use someone elses) that apple uses to determine what iOS version you should be at when you conncet to iTunes basically. And I'm not too sure about that restore thing but I've read a few threads claiming to have bricked there phones trying that (Not able to do anything at all with it) so do that at your own risk. Like I said before though iOS 6 is nothing special, unless you for some reason absolutely need to upgrade, just stay where you are till another jailbreak is out

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

Agent 47 (03-29-2013)

Thanks for helping.

Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post
    It's not possible to get iOS 6.1.2 anymore unless you have the SHSH blobs for it. But since you were never on iOS 6.1.2 you won't have them for your iPhone. My suggestion would be to stay on your current iOS til a new JB tool is released for a later iOS. Unless you don't care about your JB then just restore and upgrade in iTunes. Your device should be backed up on it's own before the upgrade. When it's done select your backup when prompted so
    Cydia saves all the future SHSH every time a new IOS is released. It doesn't matter if you are on 5.0.1. However, all the 6.x.x SHSH blobs on Cydia are corrupted, so I agree, just stay where you are, until solution has been found. In any case, they are working on it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

Agent 47 (03-30-2013)

Very bad news for me guys.
    I had no time before so thought I should upgrade my cell phone during the Easter holiday...
    It is not sure that the iPhone 4 will get iOS7 and there is no jailbreak for me anymore.

Thanks

There are exploits out there not yet used. Some are speculating they may be saved for a possible JB tool for iOS 7. Bottom line you'll get another JB it just might take awhile.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

Agent 47 (03-30-2013)

Has anyone tested iFaith and TinyUmbrella?
    Can I install 6.1.2 using them? :-P

Thanks

You need your SHSH blobs and like bbrks said all the 6.x are corrupted. Everyone who updated or had to restore for some reason is having problems with this. Until the next JB I'm pretty sure everyone is SOL.

iFaith won't work unless you have the SHSH blobs and TinyUmbrella is what you would use to save them.
    Last edited by 5kylar; 03-31-2013 at 09:02 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

Agent 47 (03-31-2013)

I have tested TinyUmbrella now but it found no SHSH Blobs from my iPhone 4 GSM version...

So I thought to test with choice where it says that they can retrieve info from Cydia.
    There I found

iPhone 4 4.3.3 (8J2)
    iPhone 4 4.3.5 (8L1)
    iPhone 4 5.0.1 (9A405)
    iPhone 4 5.1 (9B176)
    iPhone 4 5.1.1 (9B206)
    iPhone 4 5.1.1b (9B208)
    iPhone 4 6.0.1 (10A523)
    iPhone 4 6.1 (10B144)

It will mean that Cydia or mye phone has not SHSH Blobs for 6.1.2?

Should I test iFaith also?
    Maybe I will find Blobs for 6.1.2 there? :-P

Thanks

Have you ever had 6.1.2 on your phone? If not they won't be anywhere no matter what you use.

Either you stay where you are, or you can upgrade to 6.1.3 and get a tethered JB with Redsnow. No other options sorry.