+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best IOS/BB to have on a 4S.

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Originally Posted by JBnz Ok so I had my friend the original owner of this 4S submit for an unlock via at&t it didn't ask for any money I just
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBnz View Post
    Ok so I had my friend the original owner of this 4S submit for an unlock via at&t it didn't ask for any money I just hope its accepted however I have another noobie question which might sound retarded to you guys but I need to ask it as it is on my mind.

If I was to say update my 4S to 6.1.3 would I then be able to obtain shsh files for the 4S then use tinyumbrella to pull the shsh files from the 4S then use those to downgrade to any OS for the 4S I want? Or is that not how it works?

Thanks.
    That's not how it works.

SHSH blobs are unique in three ways:

1) They are unique for your particular device. I can't give you some from my phone and have them work for you.
    2) They are unique for each version of iOS. You can't use iOS 6.1.3 blobs to install iOS 6.1.2, for example.
    3) They are unique for each installation of iOS. You can't use iOS 6.1.3 blobs saved from the last time you restored to install it on your phone again--you have to get new ones from Apple.

Now sometimes these rules can be bent, broken, or worked around... now is not one of those times. You can either stay on iOS 6.0.1, or you can restore to iOS 6.1.3. Those are the only two choices right now. Sorry.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

JBnz (03-28-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    That's not how it works.

SHSH blobs are unique in three ways:

1) They are unique for your particular device. I can't give you some from my phone and have them work for you.
    2) They are unique for each version of iOS. You can't use iOS 6.1.3 blobs to install iOS 6.1.2, for example.
    3) They are unique for each installation of iOS. You can't use iOS 6.1.3 blobs saved from the last time you restored to install it on your phone again--you have to get new ones from Apple.

Now sometimes these rules can be bent, broken, or worked around... now is not one of those times. You can either stay on iOS 6.0.1, or you can restore to iOS 6.1.3. Those are the only two choices right now. Sorry.
    Thanks for keeping it short and sweet very good information, in that case I will be hanging with my current OS and hoping that at&t unlock my phone as my friend has requested for me.

Thanks

Thanks for keeping it short and sweet very good information, in that case I will be hanging with my current OS and hoping that at&t unlock my phone as my friend has requested for me.
    If your friend either bought the phone outright without a contract, has served the term of his contract he bought the subsidized phone with fully, or paid an early termination fee to end his contract on that phone, then I like your chances. Otherwise, you may have to shell out the ~$20 USD to get the iPhone IMEI unlocked through unofficial channels.

Thanks

If your friend either bought the phone outright without a contract, has served the term of his contract he bought the subsidized phone with fully, or paid an early termination fee to end his contract on that phone, then I like your chances. Otherwise, you may have to shell out the ~$20 USD to get the iPhone IMEI unlocked through unofficial channels.
    Ah crap... He has the same mobile number in use on his Iphone 5 would that by why it was declined??

IMEI Number
    Request Date/Time 03/28/2013 06:51 PM
    Request Number
    Current Status iPhone Unlock Denied Invalid Mobile or account

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.
    We cannot complete your request because the service commitment for this iPhone has not been completed or no valid current/ former mobile number is associated with the request.
    If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone.
    Thank you for your business. For other questions about our wireless service or iPhones, contact AT&T Customer Care at (800) 331-0500.

Sincerely,
    AT&T Customer Care

EVO
    Thanks

Ah crap... He has the same mobile number in use on his Iphone 5 would that by why it was declined??

IMEI Number
    Request Date/Time 03/28/2013 06:51 PM
    Request Number
    Current Status iPhone Unlock Denied Invalid Mobile or account

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.
    We cannot complete your request because the service commitment for this iPhone has not been completed or no valid current/ former mobile number is associated with the request.
    If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone.
    Thank you for your business. For other questions about our wireless service or iPhones, contact AT&T Customer Care at (800) 331-0500.

Sincerely,
    AT&T Customer Care
    Visit IDeviceGuys | iPhone and iPad Repair

The owner is a Moderator on here, his username is Cowboy

He can unlock your phone for a cheap price!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    Visit IDeviceGuys | iPhone and iPad Repair

The owner is a Moderator on here, his username is Cowboy

He can unlock your phone for a cheap price!
    Ok sounds good, thanks for the advice.

I'm really curious how the 3rd party websites manage to unlock Idevices with only having the IMEI number.

I would have figured either you need the phone to unlock with a software unlock or get apple or in this case at&t to actually unlock it from their end how do they actually manage to complete these unlocks anyone care to shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

Ok sounds good, thanks for the advice.

I'm really curious how the 3rd party websites manage to unlock Idevices with only having the IMEI number.

I would have figured either you need the phone to unlock with a software unlock or get apple or in this case at&t to actually unlock it from their end how do they actually manage to complete these unlocks anyone care to shed some light on this for me?
    Their process generally involves the latter... and it's probably better for everyone if we leave it at that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Out of interest, why can it not be unlocked if purchased after Jan 26? What's the big deal?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h4mza View Post
    Out of interest, why can it not be unlocked if purchased after Jan 26? What's the big deal?
    Short version: interpretation of US federal law changed. Used to expressly permitted, the specific exemption allowing the behavior was allowed to expire. Now unlocking devices is a very dark-gray area for all devices purchased after January 26th.

Thanks

Short version: interpretation of US federal law changed. Used to expressly permitted, the specific exemption allowing the behavior was allowed to expire. Now unlocking devices is a very dark-gray area for all devices purchased after January 26th.
    Looking to get a factory unlock by Apple they will send me instructions on how to do this however I need to know if the jailrbreak on the phone will cause any issues or not?

Thanks

Looking to get a factory unlock by Apple they will send me instructions on how to do this however I need to know if the jailrbreak on the phone will cause any issues or not?
    Nope.

Thanks

Nope.
    Ok now I have a new problem, its says I need to do a backup and restore to finish the unlock on my phone however when I try to restore to 6.0.1 which is my current OS I get error 3194 any help here on this one would be great

EVO
    Thanks

Ok now I have a new problem, its says I need to do a backup and restore to finish the unlock on my phone however when I try to restore to 6.0.1 which is my current OS I get error 3194 any help here on this one would be great
    refer to this post:
    Best IOS/BB to have on a 4S.

Once you "re-read" what was said, the same idea will apply to 6.0.1.

I will say no more.

Thanks

Ok I managed to change the hosts file like it says on the net but I am now getting error 11...

Is there a way to remove the evasi0n jailbreak or someway to bypass this error so I can reinstall my current OS again? or even a way to update to 6.1.2 if I have to don't want to go 6.1.3

EVO
    Thanks

There is no way for you to restore/update/upgrade/flash your iphone 5 back to iOS 6.1.2 period!

Thanks

so its not even possible to reinstall the current os on it?

EVO
    Thanks

No........that's the drawback of owning an A5+ device like the iphone 4s or iphone 5

Thanks

Okay, so you actually don't need to restore to get your unlock.

Use redsn0w's "Deactivate" feature (Extras -> Even More -> Deactivate), and then open iTunes. If your phone has been unlocked successfully on AT&T's end, then iTunes will pop up with a message about "Congratulations, your iPhone has been successfully unlocked!" and you'll be dandy.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)