+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to I set up as a new phone without loosing 6.1.2 ?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I have just bought a second hand iphone 4, which is running 6.1.2 but still set up as the previous users phone. I want to wipe it and set it
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to I set up as a new phone without loosing 6.1.2 ?
    I have just bought a second hand iphone 4, which is running 6.1.2 but still set up as the previous users phone.
    I want to wipe it and set it up as a new phone but preserve 6.1.2.
    Am I right in thinking if I do a restore and point it to a downloaded version of 6.1.2 it will fail, because it is not digitally signed any more? I do not have any blobs and it has never been jailbroken before.
    Can someone give me some instructions on how to set it up as a new phone (on 6.1.2) then the best way to save blobs before using evai0n?
    Thanks

Thanks

Without saved SHSH blobs, there is no way to stay on 6.1.2, the only option you have is 6.1.3. Even if you had, at the moment there is no reliable tool to do the restore to 6.1.2. I mean it can be done, but it's a very risky business.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can I erase all content/settings?
    When I then connect to itunes will it allow me to set up as a new phone but remain on 6.1.2 without updating?

Thanks

iOS: Understanding 'Erase All Content and Settings'

The erase all content feature does NOT delete any of the default iOS apps - those cannot be removed. Both methods render the device back to the out of the box state, ready to start the setup process again.
    Last edited by bbrks; 03-26-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,028 Times in 6,929 Posts

You can use ifaith to extract the 6.1.2 shsh. Then use ifaith or snowbreeze using ifaith mode to make a custom stitched 6.1.2 and shift restore to that in iTunes.

Alternatively as long as it is currently not jailbroken you can use the erase all contents setting. If it is jailbroken do not use this setting.

Regardless of which way you go you should use ifaith first before doing anything else to extract your 6.1.2 shsh.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Without saved SHSH blobs, there is no way to stay on 6.1.2, the only option you have is 6.1.3. Even if you had, at the moment there is no reliable tool to do the restore to 6.1.2. I mean it can be done, but it's a very risky business.
    Nothing risky about his situation. He is on 6.1.2 already so good shsh can be extracted straight from the device itself. It would only not be advisable right now if he were on 5.X or lower and only had shsh from cydia as those are the shsh that are proving to be problematic for 6.X restores.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-26-2013)

Thanks

You are right, I successfully restored my i4 to 6.1.2 with saved SHSH blobs I had on my lap top, but I have seen so many cases in last couple of days, even with those. I am only hoping that very soon an update of Snowbreeze will arrive, which will fix this issue of leaving the phones in soft DFU after restore.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

You are right, I successfully restored my i4 to 6.1.2 with saved SHSH blobs I had on my lap top, but I have seen so many cases in last couple of days, even with those. I am only hoping that very soon an update of Snowbreeze will arrive, which will fix this issue of leaving the phones in soft DFU after restore.
    Working on it as we speak.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

bbrks (03-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,028 Times in 6,929 Posts

Yup, the Cydia shsh thing is a big problem right now. Hopefully they can find a way around it. I haven't seen anyone have issues with ifaith manually extracted blobs though. Just did one of those on an iPhone 4 last night.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

bbrks (03-26-2013)