+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck in Pwned DFU Mode (Soft)

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I have an iPhone 4 GSM. I'm on baseband 04.10.01. I was on iOS 5.1.1 and was trying to upgrade to iOS 6. I haven't upgraded baseband and I did
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Stuck in Pwned DFU Mode (Soft)
    I have an iPhone 4 GSM. I'm on baseband 04.10.01. I was on iOS 5.1.1 and was trying to upgrade to iOS 6. I haven't upgraded baseband and I did save my blobs. I have shsh 6.01 and 4.3.3. Have used Snowbreeze iFaith mode to bundle ispw with the appropriate shsh file. As far as I am aware I should be able to use 6.0.1.

When I go to restore the ispw (either 6.01 or 4.33) in iTunes it says iphone could not be restored, 1600 error. I have tried running TinyUmbrellas TSS service while doing the restore. I've made sure hosts file doesn't have apple entries. Nothing seems to make a difference.

In redsn0w it says I am in soft dfu mode. It's doesn't seem to matter what buttons I push on the phone it won't come out of that mode. I assumed if I had these blobs and didn't upgrade my baseband I should be able to at least restore to my previous version. I hope thats is the case and my phone isn't now useless.

The only thing I can think of trying now is using the itunes update to the latest version. However if that even works, my baseband will be upgraded and I'm not sure if I will be able to unlock it. Although that is better than an iphone stuck in dfu mode.

I also read somewhere that you can get the phone unlocked if it is AT&T which I assume mine is being a GSM model?

From memory the first restore actually got a lot further I think it was 6.0. So I think I have a incomplete install on my phone which I assume is why i can't seem to boot up the phone.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Soft DFU mode? Try exiting it using the traditional method of DFU entry (with some help from your computer--turn up the sound).

Plug your iPhone into the computer, and you should hear the "device connected" chime plus iTunes opening. Then hold down Power and Home until the device disappears from iTunes and you hear the "device disconnected" chime for your system (if set). Then try powering on the device and doing the DFU button combination (Power+Home for ten seconds, then Home only for ten or so seconds more until the device re-appears in iTunes). Hopefully, you'll be in "true" DFU mode at this point, ready to enter Pwned DFU and try for iOS 6.0.1 stitched again (use redsn0w's "Restore" option, Extras -> Even More -> Restore).

On the unlock front, if your iPhone is locked to AT&T, then it's easy and relatively inexpensive to get it totally IMEI unlocked. I'd recommend the moderator Cowboy here (shoot him a PM!) or Chronic of Chronic Dev-Team fame (easy enough to find his online shop via the search engine of your choice). Good luck!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. When I hold down power and home until it disconnects from iTunes it just reconnects again straight away saying "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode...."

Nothing happens if I try to proceed and go into "true" DFU mode apart from the chime sounds a few times.

I've seen something about a DFU loop, could that be the issue?

If I run redsn0w using 6.0 and the restore feature I get to the point where it asks for the shsh file. If I point it to the 6.0.1 shsh file which I got via TU it says blob mismatch. I don't have the 6.0.1 shsh file and if I try to restore the 6.0.1 ispw file it says redsn0w doesn't recognize it. I remember reading somewhere that you need to install 6.0.
    Last edited by mikeyfotc; 03-20-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks

What version of redsn0w are you running? Version 0.9.15b3 should be able to use the 6.0.1 IPSW for the restore (at least it does for me, after an initial warning about not recognizing the IPSW for baseband-update prevention). It should then lead you through the process of entering Pwned DFU and finally will restore 6.0.1 (you may need to do "Recovery Fix" at the completion of the restore if you choose not to update the baseband).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm having a similar error. I tried to upgrade to 6.0.1 from my 5.1.1, so I used a custom firmware for a 6.0.1, and now this happened. Manually kicking out of DFU does not work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    What version of redsn0w are you running? Version 0.9.15b3 should be able to use the 6.0.1 IPSW for the restore (at least it does for me, after an initial warning about not recognizing the IPSW for baseband-update prevention). It should then lead you through the process of entering Pwned DFU and finally will restore 6.0.1 (you may need to do "Recovery Fix" at the completion of the restore if you choose not to update the baseband).
    OK I used the 6.0.1 IPSW and when it stated I was in soft DFU mode I performed the pwned DFU mode combination and that seemed to work. It gets to a stage where it states something like "Uploading IBSS" then eventually it stated "Couldn't Restore, couldn't find recovery mode device".

I'm not sure what state the phone is in at this stage. Redsn0w doesn't recognize the device unless I hold down power and home then it returns to soft dfu mode again and I seem to be back at square one.
    Last edited by mikeyfotc; 03-20-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyfotc View Post
    OK I used the 6.0.1 IPSW and when it stated I was in soft DFU mode I performed the pwned DFU mode combination and that seemed to work. It gets to a stage where it states something like "Uploading IBSS" then eventually it stated "Couldn't Restore, couldn't find recovery mode device".

I'm not sure what state the phone is in at this stage. Redsn0w doesn't recognize the device unless I hold down power and home then it returns to soft dfu mode again and I seem to be back at square one.
    Hmm. I'm wondering if there's a USB problem with the restoring computer or the device itself.

Try the process with another USB cord and computer, if possible. If that doesn't do it, try letting the battery drain all the way down (or you can open the device up and disconnect the battery for approximately thirty seconds, but this method is highly discouraged unless you know exactly what you're doing and don't mind voiding your warranty. Then after draining it all the way (or temporarily breaking the internal battery circuit), try the DFU restore again.

If both of those things don't do the trick, the best advice I have at this point would be to take the iPhone in (or send it off) for a swap (an out-of-warranty swap should set you back about $150 USD, in warranty is free).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have tried using a different USB cable. I've just disconnected the battery although I have already tried that. I guess the last thing to do is to try on another computer. Do you recommend any out of warranty swap services?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyfotc View Post
    I have tried using a different USB cable. I've just disconnected the battery although I have already tried that. I guess the last thing to do is to try on another computer. Do you recommend any out of warranty swap services?
    Apple's is the only one that will (probably) hand you a new phone and just be done with it. Unless you know of any repair gurus in your area who are willing to give it a crack, that's what I'd suggest (although it is not the most economical solution, granted).

Dumb question, you've tried a straight, nothing fancy DFU restore to iOS 6.1.3 right? With the iPhone 4, we can finagle the iOS version (with SHSH blobs saved) after the fact... probably worth a crack if you don't mind upgrading the baseband (which won't be an issue if you get an IMEI unlock).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I haven't tried a straight restore, that was always going to be the last resort. Doing it now though as tried everything else with no luck. I was also avoiding it because to do an IMEI unlock with Rogers (Canada) as the carrier seems to be quite expensive for some reason. Still much cheaper than getting a new phone though. I did message Cowboy inquiring about it but haven't received a response as yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,162 Times in 6,637 Posts

I have seen this issue in other threads. Using iFaith to make a stitched 6.X firmware leaves the device in "soft dfu". Recovery fix didn't work to boot it up. Redsnow's restore feature ends with error in ibec uploading part, errors with "device not in recovery" or something like that. Couldn't get back to 5.1.1 from here either using redsnow's stitch feature, always gave error 3194. What I did was go back to 4.2.1 using the TSS server tiny umbrella method, got (expected 1015 error), used recovery fix. Then I used redsnow's restore feature under "even more" and it worked this time to get back to 5.1.1.
    Still trying to figure out what is going wrong with 6.X stitched firmwares.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can you please post a guide to restore the phone back to 5.1.1?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,162 Times in 6,637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nuyakeno View Post
    Can you please post a guide to restore the phone back to 5.1.1?
    I just outlined how I did it. I also showed in the thread you started how I got my 3GS working on 6.0.1. Did you see what I suggested you do after the 6.0.1 iFaith restore leaves you in soft DFU?

Do you have any 4.X SHSH for your iPhone 4?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same problem Stuck in SoftDFU after Snowbreeze downgrade to 6.1.2

I recovered by doing the following steps. Will in SoftDFU mode hold down the Power & Home button for 12 sec. Then release the power button and hold the home for about 20 sec. Check with Redsn0w if the iphone is in normal DFU mode. Then open SnowBreeze and run iReb will iphone is in normal DFU mode. Open iTunes and select the custom IPSW for me I made a 5.1.1 IPSW with snowbreeze using iFaith.

Hold the shift key will selecting the restore option. Let iTunes do the rest.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I have seen this issue in other threads. Using iFaith to make a stitched 6.X firmware leaves the device in "soft dfu". Recovery fix didn't work to boot it up. Redsnow's restore feature ends with error in ibec uploading part, errors with "device not in recovery" or something like that. Couldn't get back to 5.1.1 from here either using redsnow's stitch feature, always gave error 3194. What I did was go back to 4.2.1 using the TSS server tiny umbrella method, got (expected 1015 error), used recovery fix. Then I used redsnow's restore feature under "even more" and it worked this time to get back to 5.1.1.
    Still trying to figure out what is going wrong with 6.X stitched firmwares.
    This is what finally worked for me. Prior to this, I spent like 3 hours attempting various ways to upgrade from 4.1 to stitched 5.1.1 and getting stuck in Pwned DFU and Soft DFU. To clarify, after unsuccessfully restoring using iTunes to a variety of custom 5.1.1's (basically every baseband option in redsn0w) and subsequently getting stuck in Pwned DFU, I just plopped 4.1 on it again (with TU), got stuck on Recovery, then got stuck in Soft DFU, and finally did what you suggested (using a stock 5.1.1 at redsn0w's "Restore" menu and pressing "Yes" at the baseband preserve prompt). redsn0w, rather than iTunes as I was doing before, successfully restored it to 5.1.1 and all is good now. I suspect that I was somehow able to use stock at the end because I had already flashed it or something with stitched earlier, because Apple hasn't been signing 5.1.1 for a while now.

All that's left is to jb now, will do that once all my stuff finishes syncing over.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Frozen ipod
    I decided to jailbreak my ipod touch 4g 6.1.3 using the latest version of redsnow but i have a broken power button so i had to create a custom ipsw and go into itunes and did everything. When i was done it showed the the pineapple and it going through the process but then when it was done my ipod went total black and when i connect it to my computer nothing shows up about it being plugged in please help me im about to cry

Green Apple
    Thanks

A Man im having the same problem as you. If i get a solution it will be posted here - http://modmyi.com/forums/general/823...e-problem.html

Just thought i'd give it a chance

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-20-2013, 06:35 PM
  2. 07-21-2013, 05:02 AM
  3. 05-15-2013, 10:04 AM
  4. 05-08-2013, 02:32 PM
  5. 05-06-2013, 09:11 PM
  6. 04-23-2013, 05:49 AM
  7. 04-01-2013, 05:39 AM
  8. 03-30-2013, 05:24 AM
  9. 03-30-2013, 03:46 AM
  10. 03-29-2013, 11:55 PM