+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No service after jailbreaking iphone 3gs

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I just followed this tutorial to jailbreak my iphone 3gs 6.1.2: Redsn0w Jailbreak for iPhone 3gS on iOS 6.0 - 6.1.2 (Untethered) - YouTube After the installation and untethering I
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default No service after jailbreaking iphone 3gs
    I just followed this tutorial to jailbreak my iphone 3gs 6.1.2:
    Redsn0w Jailbreak for iPhone 3gS on iOS 6.0 - 6.1.2 (Untethered) - YouTube

After the installation and untethering I installed ultrasn0w. I still have no service. Any suggestions? I am using an at&t pay as you go sim card. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Go check your baseband . Only baseband up to 05.13.xx or Ipad baseband can be unlocked by Ultrasn0w.

You need to install Ultrasn0w fixer for 6.1.2 in addition to Ultrasn0w
    Last edited by iYeow; 03-17-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Go check your baseband . Only baseband up to 05.13.xx or Ipad baseband can be unlocked by Ultrasn0w.

You need to install Ultrasn0w fixer for 6.1.2 in addition to Ultrasn0w
    My baseband is 5.13.04. I couldn't find this Ultrasn0w fixer for 6.1.2 through cydia's search. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Thanks.

Edit: I added the source needed to find ultrasnow fix 6.1. I installed that, but it still says I have no service. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by algar32; 03-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks

As far as I am aware, the current version of ultrasn0w (1.2.6) supports that baseband and version of iOS natively, with no additional fixer packages required.

This "No Service" issue may stem from a bad activation, a bad installation of iOS, perhaps it's a hardware issue... really, it could be a whole bunch of things.

I'd first recommend uninstalling ultrasn0w and de-activating your iPhone with redsn0w or SAM (available free from the Bingner repository, add this URL in Cydia. Then activate your iPhone again with iTunes (just plug your SIM card from the carrier the phone is locked to in the slot, or use SAM to spoof a SIM card from that carrier if you don't have an actual SIM).

If that fails to resolve the situation, I'd suggest a restore to 6.1.2 using a custom-made IPSW from redsn0w... if that doesn't do it, then I'm tempted to think the issue may be with the hardware of your phone, and a replacement may be in order.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    As far as I am aware, the current version of ultrasn0w (1.2.6) supports that baseband and version of iOS natively, with no additional fixer packages required.

This "No Service" issue may stem from a bad activation, a bad installation of iOS, perhaps it's a hardware issue... really, it could be a whole bunch of things.

I'd first recommend uninstalling ultrasn0w and de-activating your iPhone with redsn0w or SAM (available free from the Bingner repository, add this URL in Cydia. Then activate your iPhone again with iTunes (just plug your SIM card from the carrier the phone is locked to in the slot, or use SAM to spoof a SIM card from that carrier if you don't have an actual SIM).

If that fails to resolve the situation, I'd suggest a restore to 6.1.2 using a custom-made IPSW from redsn0w... if that doesn't do it, then I'm tempted to think the issue may be with the hardware of your phone, and a replacement may be in order.
    Thanks trying the SAM method you described. I don't think it is a hardware issue because this phone was working before it was jailbroken.

Edit:
    So I removed ultrasnow and the ultrasnow fix. I installed SAM and deactivated the phone. I plugged it into ITunes and it said congrats your phone is unlocked, but I still have no service.

I received this phone from a friend. It was working when I received. I am attempting to use it with a sim card from a go phone. I can confirm that the sim card works in the go phone, but still does not work in the iphone. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by algar32; 03-18-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks

Ah, that may be the root of our issue. AT&T takes a very dim view of iPhones on their GoPhone plans, if memory serves.

Try both the following (if possible):

Try another working smartphone SIM in your iPhone.
    Try your GoPhone SIM in another GoPhone (which it sounds like you've already done, and it works).

If your phone works with another SIM, and your SIM works in another phone, then your issue probably resides on AT&T's end. All I could suggest at that point is calling them up (+1 800 331 0500) and see what they can do.

Thanks

Alright you did see a msg congrats your iphone is unlocked which means your iphone is now officially unlocked.
    Restore to IOS 6.1.2 to let it update baseband n put any sim to activate through iTunes.
    Once activated n have service, you can jailbreak with evasi0n

Green Apple
    Thanks

Alright you did see a msg congrats your iphone is unlocked which means your iphone is now officially unlocked.
    Restore to IOS 6.1.2 to let it update baseband n put any sim to activate through iTunes.
    So I have to restore to normal firmware and jailbreak with evasi0n?

I already jailbroke with redsn0w so when I restore to 6.1.2 this jailbreak will go away and I will have to redo it with a program other than redsn0w (evasi0n) that I used in the tutorial? Also, even after jailbreaking it the fist time still says 6.1.2, so do I really need to restore it?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by algar32; 03-19-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Even when I restore with ITunes I still have no service. Is there something I have to do to get the service to work? I am using a pay as you go sim card, could this be a problem? Thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by algar32 View Post
    Even when I restore with ITunes I still have no service. Is there something I have to do to get the service to work? I am using a pay as you go sim card, could this be a problem? Thanks.
    Bump. Does anyone know how I could solve this problem? Has anyone ever gotten a 3gs to work with pay as you go? Is it even possible?

Green Apple
    Thanks

How to use AT&T GoPhone (Prepaid) on iPhone 3gs, 4, 4s, 5 (Pay as you go & plans) - YouTube
    In the above video they say that if the sim card was used in a gophone previously it locks the sim card to that phone? Do I have to change the emi number as they do in the video as well? Thanks.

Thanks

What I am trying to tell you is if you have a factory unlocked iphone which you said earlier a msg congrats your iphone is unlocked, then just by restoring to latest firmware and putting in a supported GSM sim ( note : not all gsm carriers are supported by iphone) will activate iphone through iTunes.
    You said you are not getting signals, have you tried your friemd's sim to check you if your iphone is getting signal ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

What I am trying to tell you is if you have a factory unlocked iphone which you said earlier a msg congrats your iphone is unlocked, then just by restoring to latest firmware and putting in a supported GSM sim ( note : not all gsm carriers are supported by iphone) will activate iphone through iTunes.
    You said you are not getting signals, have you tried your friend's sim to check you if your iphone is getting signal ?
    Yes it says No service for both. I have restored to the most recent firmware and both sims (the pay as you go and the one that came with the iphone) do not work. The one that came with the phone is no longer on a service plan. The go phone sim card works on the go phone, but not on the iphone ( which makes me think it is sim locked).

Thanks

Yes it says No service for both. I have restored to the most recent firmware and both sims (the pay as you go and the one that came with the iphone) do not work. The one that came with the phone is no longer on a service plan. The go phone sim card works on the go phone, but not on the iphone ( which makes me think it is sim locked).
    So if two different SIMs aren't working in the phone (but are working elsewhere), then I think we have one of two situations:

1) AT&T has blacklisted/barred your phone (or there's other network difficulties on their end).
    2) You'll need to restore your iPhone with a custom no-baseband version of iOS 6.1.2 (hope you have SHSH blobs for it) and try again. If that doesn't do it, you might need a replacement phone, but that'll have both a newer, non-unlockable baseband and won't be able to use the iPad baseband trick (so it'll be locked to whatever network your phone is attached to now).

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    So if two different SIMs aren't working in the phone (but are working elsewhere), then I think we have one of two situations:

1) AT&T has blacklisted/barred your phone (or there's other network difficulties on their end).
    2) You'll need to restore your iPhone with a custom no-baseband version of iOS 6.1.2 (hope you have SHSH blobs for it) and try again. If that doesn't do it, you might need a replacement phone, but that'll have both a newer, non-unlockable baseband and won't be able to use the iPad baseband trick (so it'll be locked to whatever network your phone is attached to now).
    1. I dont think it's blacklisted. It was under contract for 2 years and then was given to us by a friend.

2. How would I go about restoring with a custom baseband?

Today I used itunes to restore it again, but it still has cydia listed in applications... Shouldn't cydia have been removed in the restore? No matter what I do it still says no service. Is it possible that the sim card is locked to the pay as you go phone? I have an unused pay as you go simcard, that I am considering trying to set up (as they show in the video posted above). The video claims this is the only way to get pay as you go service on a 3gs. Is this true? Thanks.

Thanks

If you can activate with your sim card, then it is factory unlocked. If you use Redsn0w to activate it, then it isn't factory unlock. Don't use redsn0w to activate it, using redsn0w to activate you must install Ultrasn0w to unlock only unlockable baseband to get service.
    If it isn't factory unlock and is locked to ATNT , then you can search on Ebay to get it factory unlock for only a few bucks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you can activate with your sim card, then it is factory unlocked. If you use Redsn0w to activate it, then it isn't factory unlock. Don't use redsn0w to activate it, using redsn0w to activate you must install Ultrasn0w to unlock only unlockable baseband to get service.
    If it isn't factory unlock and is locked to ATNT , then you can search on Ebay to get it factory unlock for only a few bucks.
    It was on a contract for two years with at and t so I assume it was locked to them. I am using atand t go phone sim though so it shouldn't really matter.What would be the best way about solving this problem?

Thanks

So your iphone is locked to ATNT carrier, Two ways to unlock your iphone:

First : Is to request ATNT to unlock, if your account is in good standings they will IMEI unlock for you for free.

Second : Software unlock. you need to install Ipad baseband using redsn0w as your current baseband cannot be unlocked by Ultrasn0w. A warning message will pop up if your serial number doesn't allow you to update to ipad bb. Installing ipad bb on serial number equal to or higher than year 2000 and week 35 will brick your iphone.
    If can install ipad bb successfully, then run redsn0w to downgrade ipad bb to 05.13.08. You must then jailbreak your iphone and install Ultrasn0w to unlock. After downgrading your baseband, if you want to downgrade your firmware with saved blob, always downgrade to custom firmware, not stock firmware.

If your iphone does not qualify for ipad bb, then IMEI unlock will be the best option.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My baseband is 5.13.04. I couldn't find this Ultrasn0w fixer for 6.1.2 through cydia's search. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Thanks.

Edit: I added the source needed to find ultrasnow fix 6.1. I installed that, but it still says I have no service. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.
    With baseband to 5.13 you do not need ultrasn0w fixer on 6.1.2 since ultrasn0w has already been upgraded to work on iOS6, fixer is what caused your problem.