Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best IOS/BB to have on a 3GS.

Thanks

Question Best IOS/BB to have on a 3GS.
    Hi all,

Would like abit of help here, Using OS 4.1 on my 3GS.

I am just wanting abit of advice from you pros out there with a few of my questions..

Firstly which is the best OS to have on a 3GS that ...

- Doesn't deplete the battery life super fast or causes battery life issues.
    - Is easy to unlock for use with any carrier as this phone is from America and was originally locked to AT&T and I am in New Zealand.

I have been reading on the internet that alot of the OS that are 4 and above cause battery issues so I am concerned about this as I require my mobile to be on for a majority of the working day due to the nature of my job.

I am hopefully wanting to put the highest OS that will meet the requirements I have as above (would prefer 5 and above however will let you pros advise me on this one and what I should do.)

Also want to know how to go about working out what app's will be compatable with the new OS I end up putting onto my phone.

- Reason for upgrade due to apple app store requiring OS 5 and above for alot of updates and newer apps.

Cheers,

JBNZ (Thanks in advance for your help).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

JBnz (03-15-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I would say 5.1.1 is the sweet spot got a 3GS.
    Ok thanks now how do I go about checking if the app's I run on 4.1 will work well with 5.1.1 ???

Thanks

If they are App Store apps they will.
    Ok another noobie question, how do I know if the phone has been unlocked successfully?

I have a foreign sim card I can use to put into the phone but im not sure what I am looking for exactly.

If the foreign simcard picks up another network and connects does that mean it works? or if it can receive calls??

Thanks
    Thanked 15,464 Times in 7,082 Posts

If you get signal and can make/receive calls it is unlocked. You just need to determine how it is unlocked before proceeding to update or not. What is your modem firmware and is it jailbroken? If so is ultrasnow is installed?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

JBnz (03-15-2013)

Thanks

If you get signal and can make/receive calls it is unlocked. You just need to determine how it is unlocked before proceeding to update or not. What is your modem firmware and is it jailbroken? If so is ultrasnow is installed?
    3GS
    Ok I will look to put 5.1.1 into my 3GS as you have advised, currently on one of the 4OS can't remember exactly which one with BB 6.15 with Ultrasn0w installed.

3g
    Currently working on a 3g with OS 4.1 (seems to run abit faster then 4.2 on the 3G) problem is installed OS via itunes and it errored 1015 so used tinyumbrella to kick out out of recovery, then used redsn0w to update BB to 6.15 then as a tutorial said on the internet used ultrasn0w to unlock it however unsure if this has actually worked or not as I get the "no service" and it can't load other companies network in the listings and says "unable to load list" or something of that nature are u able to help with this also??

Thank you.
    Last edited by JBnz; 03-15-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks

Do you have 5.1.1 shsh for the 3GS?
    3gs
    Nothing at all 5.1.1 yet.

3g
    I think the 3g is working now 4.1 software modem firm 6.15, jailbroken with redsnow did baseband/modem firm change to 6.15 thought this also then used ultrasn0w, the foreign sim receives sms's without any problem (vodafone india sim) it manages to connect to the 2degrees network here in New Zealand so I figure that it works.

Just need to do the 3gs now then I think my updating will be done for sometime.

So 5.1.1 is the best OS for 3gs I have seen videos on youtube where people have put OS6 on it.

Which is less resource hungry and which is better overall to install to the 3gs still 5.1.1 or 6??

Thanks

5.1.1 will perform a little better on a 3GS. Although personally I would just go to 6.1.2 to have the latest firmware.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

JBnz (03-16-2013)

Thanks

5.1.1 will perform a little better on a 3GS. Although personally I would just go to 6.1.2 to have the latest firmware.
    Ok sorry again for more questions, however is it easier to jailbreak/unlock (American phone being used in New Zealand), what about the speed for loading things like safari etc and general handling when flicking through home screen etc fast ? or not to noticeable a difference between 5.1.1?

also firmware in 3gs at the moment is 6.15 is that ok ?

Once you have answered the above (hoping you will check back to reply)

Could you please point me in the direction to proceed with JB and unlock for both OS versions so I can make a somewhat logical decision on what I am looking to do with my phone.

Main concern is OS stability, speed to load things and then the issue of getting the phone unlocked, also forgot trying to avoid the battery draining to 0% super fast.

Cheers,

JBNZ
    Last edited by JBnz; 03-16-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks

Easiest thing to do would be to use latest version of snowbreeze. Make a custom 6.1.2 firmware using expert mode then shift restore to that in iTunes. Then install ultrasnow again to unlock. 6.1.2 runs fine on a 3GS. It is a bit slower than 5.1.1 but not a big difference.

Thanks

Easiest thing to do would be to use latest version of snowbreeze. Make a custom 6.1.2 firmware using expert mode then shift restore to that in iTunes. Then install ultrasnow again to unlock. 6.1.2 runs fine on a 3GS. It is a bit slower than 5.1.1 but not a big difference.
    Ok downloading 6.1.2 as we speak, last question I have is how do I know 100% that the unlock worked?

I have a vodafone sim card from India that I can put into the phone it just has no credit

or do I get some sort of flash message on the iphone screen when I unlock with Ultrasnow (please bare in mind I can't remember because It was 1-2 years ago that I first did the whole jailbreak/unlock thing on this 3gs).

Thanks.

Thanks

If it gets signal then it's unlocked.
    Awesome thank you very much for your help. Will update this post after I have completed my OS update for my 3GS.

Edit - Trying to install OS6.2.1 now had a couple of errors before it got going however now itunes vanished off screen and the phone looks as if its installing the OS however the install bar is just sitting there on the phone not changing at all does this mean it all crashed or is it actually going??
    Last edited by JBnz; 03-16-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBnz View Post
    Awesome thank you very much for your help. Will update this post after I have completed my OS update for my 3GS.

Edit - Trying to install OS6.2.1 now had a couple of errors before it got going however now itunes vanished off screen and the phone looks as if its installing the OS however the install bar is just sitting there on the phone not changing at all does this mean it all crashed or is it actually going??
    Got the OS to install new problem is getting the thing activated what do I do now?

Thanks

Do you have a SIM card from the carrier it was originally locked to?

Thanks

Do you have a SIM card from the carrier it was originally locked to?
    Yes and no, at the time you posted your message I could not find it...

So I installed 6.1.2 then had the problem of activating the damn thing which I could not get past. Manged to drop baseband with IOS6.0 which bypassed the who activation thing so I could get to the home screen, after that I installed Ultrasn0w which I think worked (FW 05.13.04).

In New Zealand we have 4 or so carriers

Vodafone NZ
    2Degrees
    Skinny
    Telecom.

So after I unlock I tested with all 3 simcards I have.

Vodafone (India)
    2Degrees
    AT&T (USA original that was with the phone)

So upon putting the Vodafone one in it won't connect to any of the carriers when I ask it to, now and then it will connect to the 2degrees. I managed to dial *141# and *146# for account balance info etc so I figure this one works.

My New Zealand 2Degrees one worked like a charm hooked onto the 2Degrees carrier perfectly. Could receive SMS and phone calls.

The AT&T one however refused to work. I attempted to connect to Vodafone/2Degrees carrier (Skinny seems to never show I figure its a crappy network). I am then given the message this sim is restricted or something along those lines.

I figure that from the conducted tests the phone is successfully jailbroken and unlocked.

I have Cydia on my phone and my New Zealand simcard seems to work on this American 3GS. This means both were a success right??? Just need to make sure this is what can be expected from simcards from other countries.

Thanks.

Thanks

If it is an AT&T locked phone originally then the AT&T one won't work in it because when you used redsnow to downgrade your baseband redsnow hactivated it for you. You may have push notification problems because of this too.

Question: if the phone is locked to AT&T why not just get an official unlock done for it? Cost less than $15 and once it is done it is permanent. No more worrying about preserving your baseband. You could restore to 6.1.2 normally and just use evasion to jailbreak. No need for ultrasnow.

Thanks

If it is an AT&T locked phone originally then the AT&T one won't work in it because when you used redsnow to downgrade your baseband redsnow hactivated it for you. You may have push notification problems because of this too.

Question: if the phone is locked to AT&T why not just get an official unlock done for it? Cost less than $15 and once it is done it is permanent. No more worrying about preserving your baseband. You could restore to 6.1.2 normally and just use evasion to jailbreak. No need for ultrasnow.
    I was not even aware I could do such.

But now I have a new problem I think I totally fried it, it had problems connecting to wifi so I went to restore and now the broadband and wifi/bluetooth is not working.

I did a baseband change and since then I can seem to fix it. Tried restore multiple times in itunes and keep getting various errors. Does this mean I have totally f'd it up ?

3gs is a week 33 model.
    Last edited by JBnz; 03-18-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast