Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck in tethered boot mode...how to get to recovery mode?

Default Stuck in tethered boot mode...how to get to recovery mode?
    Hi guys,

For a while now I've been having a problem. My sleep button doesn't work, and I have a tethered jailbreak. One day it switched off and since then I've never seen the home screen

Now I've gone through 10000 different methods, including trying to get to DFU mode, trying to read my only backup (was a corrupt one) and the only reason I'm doing this is I got pictures and memories from my trips on it. Now recently I came up with a plan: if I upgrade it through iTunes to a firmware which I have SHSH for, I lose my jaibreak but my photos remain right? Then I just quickly get my photos of the device and consider buying a new one. Now I need to get into recovery mode for this to work and I can't seem to do it. My device has two states: switched off when out of battery, or with the apple logo showing for a while then just rebooting quickly to more apple logo until the battery runs out. And from what I know I have to have it switched off and then hold the home button while plugging it in. But it doesn't work. iTunes and Tiny umbrella both don't recognize it so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Running iPod Touch 4G, 4.2.1 (I think it was redsn0w jailbreak, its been a long time) tethered. I got SHSH for 4.3.5 and 5.0.1, although I probably have a few more on Cydia. Can anyone give me advice on how to get into recovery mode, and if my plan will work?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Do you mean the power button is broke?
    AFAIK, there is no way to get it into recovery if you are stuck in a tethered boot mode and never actually get to iOS.
    Get the button fixed. The latest version of iOS (6.1.2) is untethered jailbroken.
    Curious as to why you were running a 4.2.1 tethered when an untether has been available for ages?

Well, when I did it there probably wasn't one available. As said, It's been such a long time that I'm not even 100% sure if it was 4.2.1 or 4.3 or something. Well, thanks for your reply. Shame it doesn't work, yeah the power button is broke and the PC doesn't recognize it. I guess I just have to fix the button...but It'll be expensive.