+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading to IOS6

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey guys... basically, I have an iphone 4s, and an ipad HD (/3) Both are on IOS 5.0.1 and with new tweaks coming out all the time for higher models
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Upgrading to IOS6
    Hey guys... basically, I have an iphone 4s, and an ipad HD (/3) Both are on IOS 5.0.1 and with new tweaks coming out all the time for higher models (auxo (5.1.1 and above etc) i think its time to try and upgrade them to IOS 6.

My question is, how do I go about doing this? I presume it requires me to factory restore my devices, thus loosing all apps/tweaks and stored data that I have downloaded (lets say not 100% legitimately). The apps and tweaks that i have downloaded shouldn't be an issue as itunes will back them up and I think there is a way to get paid cydia apps back as well.

So basically my question is: Is there a way to upgrade IOS's without losing apps/app data or does it require a device factory reset, then an update, then a re-jailbreak of IOS 6?

Thanks in advance
    Dave

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Ya have to restore ya devices and update to iOS 6 so yes you will lose all ya stuff but like ya said you can git it all back in iTunes and in cydia. Just make sure ya put ya phone in dfu mode and restore to 6.1.1 like that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What is dfu mode?

Also, I downloaded a few apps on (Mod edit, warez site removed) when that was about, I presume when I restore these will be lost as they won't sync with itunes?
    Last edited by blkcadi; 02-16-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,533 Times in 5,851 Posts

^ I edited your post, we do not promote, help or assist in any way with warez/pirated apps.
    4s has A5 chip, no DFU mode needed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, no worries... i wasn't trying to promote anything, merely asking a question on whether it was possible not to lose all the information.

Anyways, so in lay-man terms (as if you were writing an instruction manual for a toddler); how do i go about restoring it? where is the option on itunes... sorry for being a massive noob lol

Thanks
    Thanked 9,533 Times in 5,851 Posts

Make sure you have the newest iTunes, Click "restore".