+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I need help :(

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Alright, I made a couple of mistakes so please bear with me Firstly, I had an tethered jailbreak through redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3. I downloaded the untethered cydia package so that it would
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I need help :(
    Alright, I made a couple of mistakes so please bear with me

Firstly, I had an tethered jailbreak through redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3. I downloaded the untethered cydia package so that it would be untethered.

Out of impulse and stupidity, I decided I wanted to upgrade and I couldn't restore to 6.1 or any other IPSW files I had downloaded So through redsn0w, I somehow got the ipod firmware to restore to iPod4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore. I then updated the apple software OTA (over the air), and jailbroke it with evasi0n WITHOUT restoring it first with itunes. Stupid stupid stupid

The ipod worked fine at first, until I downloaded SBSettings & it just completed died. I tried again to restore through itunes, but errors like 9006 or 3194 (I have googled all these in order to find a solution, but nothing). I then tried to use the redsn0w program to restore, but it's not working iTunes won't restore it either, and now it is fully stuck on the recovery mode. What should I do? I hope I haven't fully bricked it It does turn off-ish if I hold the power & the home button at the same time, but then the recovery mode flashes back again. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Some details, I have a iPod 4g Windows 7 64bit. I tried using Tiny Umbrella to get out of recovery but it did nothing. I know using these programs one after the other isn't a good idea :/
    Last edited by breathlessxx; 02-06-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by breathlessxx View Post
    Alright, I made a couple of mistakes so please bear with me

Firstly, I had an tethered jailbreak through redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3. I downloaded the untethered cydia package so that it would be untethered.

Out of impulse and stupidity, I decided I wanted to upgrade and I couldn't restore to 6.1 or any other IPSW files I had downloaded So through redsn0w, I somehow got the ipod firmware to restore to iPod4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore. I then updated the apple software OTA (over the air), and jailbroke it with evasi0n WITHOUT restoring it first with itunes. Stupid stupid stupid

The ipod worked fine at first, until I downloaded SBSettings & it just completed died. I tried again to restore through itunes, but errors like 9006 or 3194 (I have googled all these in order to find a solution, but nothing). I then tried to use the redsn0w program to restore, but it's not working iTunes won't restore it either, and now it is fully stuck on the recovery mode. What should I do? I hope I haven't fully bricked it It does turn off-ish if I hold the power & the home button at the same time, but then the recovery mode flashes back again. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Some details, I have a iPod 4g Windows 7 64bit. I tried using Tiny Umbrella to get out of recovery but it did nothing. I know using these programs one after the other isn't a good idea :/
    I have some good news for you: I think your iPod is likely not bricked and we can get it back to working order!

So here's where we start: let's go ahead and put that iPod in DFU mode (plug it in to the computer, hit home+power for ten seconds, then hold power only for ten more seconds). Once in DFU, try restoring your iPod to iOS 6.1, using the Shift (if Windows) or Option (OS X) + click Restore in iTunes method.

Please note that if you've edited your /hosts file to point to Cydia's SHSH blob server instead of Apple's, your restore may fail with a 3194 or a 16xx error. If this happens, edit your /hosts file so any entries for "gs.apple.com" are commented out (put a # in front of the line) or delete it.

You can also use redsn0w to enter Pwned DFU mode and restore using the same stock IPSW and the cached blobs Cydia may have for you, or stitch the firmware with your SHSH blobs and redsn0w (use Pwned DFU to restore this IPSW, too).

Good luck!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so much for replying!

I used redsn0w to enter Pwned DFU mode, but when I go to restore & choose the 6.0 403 IPSW firmware, it says Couldn't find blobs for this device on the apple or cydia servers. Please click ok to browse for any you may have saved locally.

I never saved my blobs, bad idea I know. However, like in my first post, I was able to restore to this same IPSW firmware using a partial blob I had saved from a while ago by accident I guess. Once I press remote, it says it can't find again, so then I am able to browse for the shsh & now the process actually works! Until we get to the end where it says: iTunes error -1.

On the apple website, this error means: This may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues, and restore your device on a different known-good computer. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

I'll go try this on another computer just in case though. I've read some posts that windows 64 bit does have problems.

I also have the IPSW 6.0.1 downloaded, so I put the ipod through Pwned DFU mode again, and I don't need the shsh blobs anymore, so it goes straight into attempting to restore. It fails at Couldn't find Recovery mode device
    Last edited by breathlessxx; 02-06-2013 at 06:41 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did you ever modify iTunes or your Windows HOSTS file for custom ISPW/signing server? Make sure the HOSTS file is pointing to the appropriate address. I had to do that when I was using iTunes to create custom ISPWs with sn0wbreeze long ago and then wasn't able to update with Apple's until I corrected the server address. Of course this wouldn't be the issue if you got the same results from another computer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes, I did once with TinyUmbrella.

I don't know how to revert my Host file back to normal, do you know?

Restored it! I got onto aonother computer & downloaded the new update & restored it This new computer is also connected via ethernet cable so that the internet won't die (I usually got 3194 or 9006 error). Thanks so much for your help! I restored it with iTunes, so now I should be safe to jailbreak using evasi0n now right?
    Last edited by breathlessxx; 02-06-2013 at 10:48 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by breathlessxx View Post
    Yes, I did once with TinyUmbrella.

I don't know how to revert my Host file back to normal, do you know?
    In Windows, the path to the HOSTS file would be:

CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\

It won't have a file extension so select to open with Notepad when prompted.

Per the link below (and from personal experience):

If you have any lines that point to gs.apple.com, backup the hosts file* and delete the lines (using a standard editor such as Notepad). You may need to ensure that you have admin privileges. Reboot and try the iTunes upgrade again.
    * you may need to save the HOSTS file elsewhere (like your desktop or into a temp folder initially) and then copy/move back into its original location if you encounter any access issues. Make sure you don't save with a .txt extension, but if you do, then just delete that part of the file name and you should be good to go.

Link to a thread I just found on Apple's dicussion forum that explains in greater detail in case you'd like to review: Error 3194 - Check Your Hosts File
    Last edited by Lazworks; 02-06-2013 at 10:51 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks I'll do that when I get back home later.

So it should be safe to jailbreak with evasi0n now right? I'll save my SHSH blobs with TinyUmbrella before I do so though, just in case!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Despite a few minor issues here and there as to be expected with any major jailbreak release, evasi0n is one of the best experiences I've had (so far) regarding ease of use, fewest SAFE MODE sessions, getting stuck at reboots (hard resets have resolved quickly on the few occasions I've had), and least amount of app incompatabilities (for my apps, that is - which isn't a WHOLE lot).

A few themes have some minor issues, the Weather app was broken but now fixed... but it seems the concensus is pretty favorable.

Good luck!

Thanks

Just in case you haven't done so already: yes, it is safe to jailbreak your device with evasi0n 1.1. Also, I'd use redsn0w's "Submit Blobs" (Extras -> SHSH Blobs-> Submit...) feature to ensure your SHSH blobs are backed up in Cydia. Check TinyUmbrella to find the exact directory your blobs are saved in if redsn0w doesn't automatically open to the correct directory.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-06-2013, 01:26 AM