Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beat the system- and getting iOS6 tweaks from Cydia now before JB release

Default Beat the system- and getting iOS6 tweaks from Cydia now before JB release
    You know how we all hate waiting on Jailbreak release day, for sometimes as long as 36 hours, before the POSIX Failure messages at Cydia go away because the servers are getting killed? - Well I was wondering if there was a way to beat the system. And get stuff 'now', ahead of time.

Most of the MAIN tweaks we all use, at least for themeing, like Winterboard, Gridlock, Iconoclasm, etc are all updated for iOS6 right now - because many have been jailbroken on iOS6 who have iPhone 3GS and 4. So if, even on your 4S, jailbroken with Absinthe or Redsn0w, you've been keeping your Cydia 'updates' current each time you see them needing an update - Winterboard, Gridlock and all the rest - that you're now using on your 4S 5.1.1 JB are the MOST CURRENT versions, iOS6 READY, of those tweaks. The problem is knowing WHAT ALL gets downloaded and TO WHERE in the file system of iOS do the tweaks get placed.

So I was thinking. Is there any software out there for MAC and PC that would gain you access to the file system of your phone (like OpenSSH) that would allow you to move 'saved' files from your computer ONTO your newly jailbroken phone (after we get the iOS6 jailbreak) essentially allowing you to move WinterBoard, etc ONTO your phone WITHOUT HAVING to wait for Cydia to be 'unclogged'?

That's part one of hte question. The NEXT part - is WHAT all does Winterboard, Gridlock, etc, install? Does anyone know WHAT I could 'back up' to my MAC or PC now that accounts for ALL the necessary files in their right folders for the tweaks to work?

OR if there are .deb files for all those favorite tweaks we could download AS .DEB right now from CYDIA for later installation after an iOS6 jailbreak..

I'm sure others of you have thought about this before me. And if there's a nice STICKY thread out there you could point me to - I'd like to get ready.

I have a Backup, from PKGbackup of all the 'stable' tweaks that never cause troubles from iOS to iOS upgrades - but I think PKGBackup only works by addressing Cydia itself when you do a restore - right? So that method would still be subject to Cydia logjam in the first 36 hours - not to mention needing to find a way to get PKGBkup and OpenSSH ONTO your phone without accessing Cydia too.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it's not possible to 'beat the system' on opening day of a new JB. But I'd like to think it's possible since all the iOS updates for Winterboard, Gridlock, etc, ready for iOS6 are already on our iPhone 4S' with 5.1.1 right now.

Thanks,
    Grant
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-27-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

First, you might want to seek some professional help with the fact that you have to be jailbroken and have your tweaks installed instantly. Relax, let it happen at its pace.

Second, if you use AppInfo, it shows you every file that gets installed by Cydia, if you really need to have that info. You could then make your own .deb file (google it).

Try DiskAid(Windows) or Cyberduck (Mac) for software to access your device.

Even though some tweaks have been updated, they may still need to be tweaked once the JB is out. Winterboard is not fully compatible yet just to give you an example. Most of the people that write tweaks will need to be jailbroken to update them as they will need to tested on devices that they obviously can't test them on.

Lastly, if you start to install tweaks manually, Cydia won't recognize them as being installed and therefore won't let you know when there is an update for them. It will also cause problems if you do install them, as it will be trying to install files that are already there. This can give you errors.

In essence, you are trying to bypass Cydia to install your tweaks a day early. I really don't see any advantage to this. You've got Apples best phone yet in your hand and instead of allowing it to be properly tweaked out, you want to bastardize your installs. Again, relax dude and let the calm flow over your body. It will all be good in due time.

But I know you and you will most likely disagree with my advice, so good luck bro, I will be patiently waiting for the necessary updates to happen as they do.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 01-27-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,546 Times in 7,107 Posts

Search for Cyder. Not sure how up to date it is but you used to be able to install cydia stuff from your computer using it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-27-2013)

Thanks, King and Simon. I've been reading up on saving the .deb files from Cydia. WinterBoard IS updated, King, for iOS6. Most of the main theming apps are ready now and being used flawlessly on iP4 jailbreak. I know thats only 6.0.1 and ip4 might work differently than 4S and 5.. and youre prolly right about taking a chill pill! lol!!!

But last time Cydia was killed for 3 days. Not goin' thru that again! That's new news to me that Cydia wouldn't recognize the downloaded packages. Though I'm not so sure you're right about that if I actually use.DEB files from Cydia itself which I have now saved.

There's also an app called PhoneView which allows you to install files saved on your computer to even an unjailbroken phone without OpenSSH. I haven't been able to make CyberDuck work without having OpenSSH turned on. Maybe you can enlighten me as to how that works. PhoneView, in Disk view mode certainly allows you to see a lot less files in an un-jailbroken phone (my 5) than it does on my jailbroken 4S. No surprise there. But I would already be jailbroken after the iOS 6 JB is available. And this little software would allow me to get the .deb files into the AutoInstall folder in Media.

I believe the Auto install folder you can create in Media can make this happen so that the package that's installed is recognizable by Cydia and updatable later. At least from what I'm reading on the Internet today. You two have an extreme amount of experience so I'm inclined to lean on what you're saying. There's just this part of me that has to give it a try. I'm sure you can understand that.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-27-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks

Yes, if you have the .deb files you can certainly install them with cydia's autoinstall folder (var/root/media/cydia/autoinstall if memory serves). That is how I install ultrasnow and mobile substrate for people with broken wifi.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Search for Cyder. Not sure how up to date it is but you used to be able to install cydia stuff from your computer using it.
    Cyder is at version 2 now but only available for PC. I'm all Mac.

Yes, if you have the .deb files you can certainly install them with cydia's autoinstall folder (var/root/media/cydia/autoinstall if memory serves). That is how I install ultrasnow and mobile substrate for people with broken wifi.
    Will it be an install that Cydia recognizes as legit later on for updating?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Cyder is at version 2 now but only available for PC. I'm all Mac.

Will it be an install that Cydia recognizes as legit later on for updating?
    autoinstall folder it is then

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-27-2013)

autoinstall folder it is then
    GREAT!! That's what I'll try - for at least the simple stuff that's always ready on Day 1 after JB hits. The same Winterboard version and Gridlock versions that were out the day before Absinthe hit last January were the versions available on the day after the JB came out. So for the simple stuff - I'll take my chances. At least I can have my themes on Day 1 without waiting for Cydia servers to clear.

One last question, Simon. Can CyberDuck, iFunBox, etc get into your phone (via USB?) without having OpenSSH installed? That's the last hurdle here. From the moment of jailbreak - Cydia servers are 'dead in the water'. I can't even download OpenSSH from Cydia - how do I get into my phone to even ADD the .deb files?

Thanks,
    Grant

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-27-2013)

Yes, I use ifunbox, no openssh required.
    ifunbox have a mac version too? I guess I can check.

Thanks, Simon!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-27-2013)

I use DiskAid as well.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Krima (01-27-2013), NewdestinyX (01-27-2013)

iFunBox has a great Mac version. Using it now. Hey, is transferring files via the iTunes USB cable faster than via SSH thru WiFi? It seems to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    I use DiskAid as well.
    Thanks, King!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-27-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    iFunBox has a great Mac version. Using it now. Hey, is transferring files via the iTunes USB cable faster than via SSH thru WiFi? It seems to be.
    Yes it is faster

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-27-2013)

Default How to get a JUMP on WAITING FOR CYDIA
    Okay - after a lot of reading this afternoon and some help from Simon and King I think I have a step by step instruction set for those of you who are just plain 'impatient' like I am and don't want to wait the 24-72 hours for Cydia servers to clear after the jailbreak drops sometime soon (we all hope).

Things you'll need:
    • iFunBox (or any file exchange app that will allow you to get into your jailbroken iPhone now without needing OpenSSH - just a USB phone cable)
    • a computer to store the Cydia packages on from a current jailbroken phone - before you jailbreak your newer phone
    • have ALL your Cydia tweaks up to date by checking Cydia and see if there are any that need updating as of today

Disclaimers:
    There is the potential that it take a few days to a couple of weeks before tweak creators get their tweaks FULLY updated for use with the most current iOS that you're jailbreaking. But because many people can jailbreak early on iPhone 3GS and 4 (from the boot rom exploit) the main theming apps like Winterboard, Gridlock, Iconoclasm, etc tend to get updated very early and are fully ready for use the moment you get your new jailbreak. But this method does NOT assure that you'll be problem free. 95% chance you'll be good - but -- jes' disclamin'....

Getting the install packages (called ".deb files") from Cydia now to install LATER after the new Jailbreak
    Though there may be simpler ways to do this - this will work for all whether on Mac or PC.
    • Go to Cydia and search for a Cydia tweak you want like Winterboard (which is iOS 6 ready now)
    • Choose "Modify" (you're actually gonna reinstall it even though you don't need to for any other reason than capturing the .deb file.)
    [THIS WILL NOT ERASE any preference files associated with the tweak - so don't worry]
    • Now clik on ReInstall - but at the end of the reinstall process DO NOT clik on "Restart Springboard" or "Return to Cydia" - not yet
    • Launch iFunBox or whichever you choose and navigate to /private/var/cache/apt/archives/
    • Clik on REFRESH if you're returning to the folder after another ReInstall from Cydia on your phone
    • In the Archives folder you should see the install package that you just downloaded to your phone from Cydia. It ends in '.deb'
    • Copy that file from your iFunBox (or whichever software you're using) to a folder you'll use for archiving for later.
    • Now you can hit RESTART SPRINGBOARD or RETURN TO CYDIA on your phone
    • REPEAT the last 8 steps for every tweak you wish to have ready for day 1

For most of us we'll just want to get our themeing up and running and will want:
    WinterBoard, Gridlock, Iconoclasm, FolderIcons, Infinidock, iWidgets, and BytaFont to name some of the most popular.
    That's enough to get you started and get you pretty far back to where you were before you upgraded to iOS6 at least for theming. Most of those tweaks are iOS6 ready from my research today 1/27/2013.

You'll also want to save the following folders from your current jailbroken phone to your computer:
    /var/mobile/Library/MyFonts (whole folder)
    /var/mobile/Library/iWidgets (whole folder)
    /var/mobile/Library/Springboard (whole folder for now - this has your icon positioning saved in it)
    /Applications/MyLocation.app (save the contents to a folder you create on your computer called "MyLocation_dot_app" because '.app' will do crazy things in the making of the folder and you won't see it as a folder
    /var/stash/Themes/ (only your favorite themes and SB widgets and LockScreen Widgets)
    /var/mobile/Media/FolderIcons (whole folder)
    /Library/Iconoclasm (whole folder)

----That'll get you started. I will edit this post to tell you how to get these .deb files back to your phone
    once the jailbreak drops without having to wait for Cydia servers to clear up.---

PLEASE HIT THANKS IF THIS IS HELPFUL TO YOU.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-28-2013 at 03:51 PM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Pocyahtstu (02-02-2013), Simon (01-27-2013), wvoutlaw (02-03-2013)

Default RELOADING the .DEB FILES after you're jailbroken
    Getting your favorite theme tweaks (which is all I'm suggesting you try using this "early grab" method) is really easy as pie.

Simply launch your iFunBox software on your computer and make sure your phone is plugged into a USB port. And navigate to a folder called:

/private/var/root/Media/Cydia

If you don't have that Cydia folder in the Media folder - you'll need to create one.

Then within the Cydia folder you have to create (if it's not there) one called AutoInstall (the capital letter A and I are required - capitalization matters in any folder naming I've given you so far).

Sometimes there may already be an AutoInstall folder in the Cydia folder. You're lucky if that's the case. Please consult the help files of iFunBox or any software you're using if you don't understand how to make folders or transfer files. I can't give instructions for any and all softwares that transfer files.

The last couple steps go like this:

• To 'test' the waters - just move the .deb file you saved for Winterboard into the AutoInstall folder.
    • Then you need to 'reboot' your phone TWICE. Not simply 'respring'. A full reboot is needed. So turn phone all the way off, then on, then all the way off again, then on.

AND THEN - you should see Winterboard on your springboard somewhere. And you did IT!.

You can now load several or ALL of the remaining .deb files you saved into the /private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall folder (though I personally would do only a couple at once to make sure I don't cause any troubles). The waiting through 2 full reboots is a pain - for sure. But there's light at the end of the tunnel and you're not waiting 24-72 hours for Cydia servers to clear.

There you have it! A way to "beat the Cydia standing in line" frustration of the first couple days after a release. I would wait on Tweaks like biteSMS, MailEnhancer, MyWi and any of the other beefy app tweaks until you're 100% sure they've been updated for 6.1. Those, in my view and from my reading, are worth the wait until you can download direct from Cydia whenever the servers get less busy. But if you're the "living dangerously type" knock yourself out. Just don't ask for technical support here if your phone gets unstable. If in this process anything gets unstable you can always just restore to 6.1 and re-jailbreak and wait for Cydia servers to clear.

Have fun!

Just FYI

Saurik announced that he was able to convince the evad3rs to do something that he has wanted for some time now.

What is it you ask?

Cydia will now be installed with a pre populated catalogue of tweaks/apps from all the default repo's.

What does this mean?

This means that there won't be a serious Cydia lag as with past jailbreaks.

How does this make a difference?

Most if the time taken for Cydia to refresh is during the starting of Cydia when it has to refresh all of the packages from each repo. Now it will only have to refresh the differences.

In addition, there have been many upgrades to servers and bandwidth. There is also the possibility that there will be mirror repos to get everyone going, but it seems like they can't quite decide on that one yet.

Just thought I would share this here, as it seemed like the best spot. This convo took place yesterday afternoon on reddit. Not trying to deter or hijack your thread bro, just giving more info on the topic.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 01-30-2013 at 08:30 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-30-2013)

No, thanks A MILLION, King. Perfect thread to post it in, bro!! Saurik should have done that a long time ago. There will still likely be a lot of lag for the first 24 to 48 hours because it's the actual downloading of the tweaks themselves, for the first time (by everyone after a new jailbreak), that will cause a continued lagg. After 5.1.1 - the refresh packages lag was only the first 4-5 hours of my wait time. The rest of the 3 day wait was for things as simple as Springtomize and Gridlock. The greatest part of the lag at Cydia after a new JB is people feeling they have to re-download everything fresh rather than using the.deb method outlined in this thread.

I've always agreed with your point that there is a chance you'll download a tweak that won't work. But almost all of the theming tweaks are ready for 6 right now according to their developers. So I'm not worried. I'll be one of the first theming on day 1, hour 1. :-)

But thanks for this, King. Awesome news!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-30-2013 at 09:38 AM.

From my past experience, if you manually install then try and overwrite later with cydia package you will get return errors. Not on everything but some. If you do all your tweaks this way my bet is you will be restoring. It will try and overwrite a package is has no record of installing. In some cases even if you manually remove first little remnants are left behind. Hence the need for restore. Just put your bullet back in your holster buddy. Have some patience!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinoy For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-30-2013), The.Drifter (01-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    From my past experience, if you manually install then try and overwrite later with cydia package you will get return errors. Not on everything but some. If you do all your tweaks this way my bet is you will be restoring. It will try and overwrite a package is has no record of installing. In some cases even if you manually remove first little remnants are left behind. Hence the need for restore. Just put your bullet back in your holster buddy. Have some patience!
    Simon said, when you use the Cydia/AutoInstall method of returning the .debs to your iPhone - everything with future Cydia updating will be fine. Though Simon is awesome I did some reading on my own before ever posting this thread.. LOL!!.. and by what others corroborate - I'm confident the return errors only happen when you use a method other than the "Cydia/AutoInstall, then two Reboots" method. But I have a nice clean Apple Restore (in which I used BackUpBot to clear out old Cydia 'remnants') and a PKGBackup of only the stable Cydia stuff ready to go for Quick Restore if any problems occurs. The cool thing about PKGBkup - which I thought was bad at first since it had to access Cydia, is that it will always go 'regrab' the most recent version of a tweak you have saved in its Backups.

I DO realize I'm being the 'anxious puppy' here.. fair enough.. But I like living dangerously. And hey, what's the worst that can happen. :-) It's not like I'm gonna brick my phone.......

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast