Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beat the system- and getting iOS6 tweaks from Cydia now before JB release

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Ya perhaps I should read all comments before commenting. Lol. Simon would know. He's the man on that kinda stuff. I still press the question WHY? Try standard method first.
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Ya perhaps I should read all comments before commenting. Lol. Simon would know. He's the man on that kinda stuff. I still press the question WHY? Try standard method first.

Hey to each their own tho. Good input for some that may wanna follow suite. Over time I've just learned patience is the name of the game in this world. I will get the 5 this weekend but if a jailbreak is released say Sunday I'll wait a week possibly two. Just depends. I'll allow the second or third JB version to come and for majority of the missing tweaks etc to be updated. I have a perfectly setup 4s though. So i have a advantage. Here's a good funny quote I think I heard from a movie.

A young Bull says to his dad "dad let's run down the hill and F one of those cows". The father Bull looks at his son and says " why son? Let's walk down and F them all" lol
    Last edited by Pinoy; 01-30-2013 at 09:53 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinoy For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-30-2013), NewdestinyX (01-30-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,148 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Ah.. It's just an 'impatience thing', Pinoy. And I'm one of those personalities (leadership type) that has to sorta be out 'ahead' of the pack too; always the first in line at the Apple Store when a new phone comes out on release day - yeah - one of those geeks... LOL!

Last time, literally, from the moment of release of Absinthe I had the jailbreak for 5.1.1 on my phone within in a couple of hours of it dropping. Then I waited for almost "6" hours before the stupid POSIX error messages at Cydia disappeared and I could even get BigBoss repo to show me Winterboard for bloomin' sake.... And after the packages refreshed finally it took another "60" hours before Cydia servers were clear enough to download Winterboard, Gridlock and all the rest. NOT gonna go through that again now that I've found this method.

Plus, at my job I'm a trainer, of sorts. That's why I like to summarize procedures and make threads like this one. So on jailbreak day it will also fit my personality to be the first 'up and running' and reporting on which tweaks are ready and which aren't.

King rightly mentioned that the newest tweaks at Cydia now have NOT been tested on iPhone 5 - but I'm sure Saurik and the other major tweak creators that are now saying iOS 6 ready weren't just testing on iPhone 4 tethered. They are devs with 6.1 beta on their phones - jailbroken using the same exploits as Planetbeing and crowd. But even if that's not the case. There were very few updates to Winterboard, etc (theme tweaks) after 5.1.1 JB dropped. The same Cydia themeing tweaks that were at a given version # at Cydia for 4.3.3, saying iOS 5-ready, that same version number was appearing and worked in 5.1.1 JB after the Cydia servers cleared a few days later.

So here's to hoping! And I promise - if I have any trouble I won't go begging around for help with this 'non-standard' way of downloading from Cydia early. I'll just restore after Cydia servers clear in a few days if I encounter any issues. But for the first few days (starting this Sunday I'm confident) I will have my Theme stuff back... yay!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-30-2013 at 10:00 AM.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,895 Times in 6,514 Posts

I'm with you Pinoy. Following your exact method to a "T". I will be interested in how you make out though Grant. Please be honest if you crash and burn, not that I'm hoping for this, but I would like to know for my own curiosity just what works out and what doesn't.

I know that there are certain areas that are not theming on iOS6, so WB will definitely need an update.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-30-2013), Pinoy (01-30-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 7,004 Posts

Using the autoinstall method shouldn't cause any problems for future updates. It installs and shows up under packages just like it would if you installed it from a repo. That being said I have only ever used the autoinstall method for ultrasnow and mobile substrate. I have never had problems with updates to them from their repos following autinstall but I can't say 100% that what Pinoy is saying may not happen with other things. That would be a question for Saurik to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Then I waited for almost "6" hours before the stupid POSIX error messages at Cydia disappeared and I could even get BigBoss repo to show me Winterboard for bloomin' sake....
    Winterboard is on Saurik's repo, not big boss
    Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-30-2013), Pinoy (01-30-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    I will be interested in how you make out though Grant. Please be honest if you crash and burn, not that I'm hoping for this, but I would like to know for my own curiosity just what works out and what doesn't.
    Oh I will be completely honest. This is a learning experience for me to be sure!!

I know that there are certain areas that are not theming on iOS6, so WB will definitely need an update.
    What does this sentence mean, King. I've read it three time and still don't know what you mean. Perhaps you left out a word, etc.. I know for sure WB is updated and ready to go per Saurik himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Using the autoinstall method shouldn't cause any problems for future updates. It installs and shows up under packages just like it would if you installed it from a repo. That being said I have only ever used the autoinstall method for ultrasnow and mobile substrate. I have never had problems with updates to them from their repos following autinstall but I can't say 100% that what Pinoy is saying may not happen with other things. That would be a question for Saurik to answer.
    Fair enough Simon. But we're all on a level playing field in the early days of the JB release. Even after the waiting period getting in line for Cydia to download for you - even after the POSIX errors are gone we may ALL have issues with this tweak or that. It's not as if those using the DEB beforehand method will have a lower version number than those who get a tweak after 36 hours of waiting. I just want to be the 'first in line' to test them. That's really the point. The .deb files I'll have downloaded by Saturday night - will be, in most cases the exact same version numbers as the ones people wait 2 days for. I just won't have waited because of slow Cydia servers.

Winterboard is on Saurik's repo, not big boss
    Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes
    No you can't help yourself... LOL!! My point still stands - even after all the repo packages refresh - you still wait for some of the main tweaks for 2 days or more.

HEY - YOU GUYS have been GREAT! Simon, King, Pinoy - thanks for your sage advice. I know I'm a little 'over-eager' here. But try to remember the first few days of when you were first theme-ing - or Simon when you first were learning how to downgrade a phone and knew you could charge for it. This process I'm in - has that same excitement for me. TO SIMPLY BE ABLE TO do it - is the 'rush'. If it crashes and burns - the worst that will have happened is I learned something.

Appreciate your patience with me!!!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-30-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Sauriks exact description is

iOS6 is Compatible-(er)

This is from his last update.

From the themes that I have been following, there are areas that are not working in WB. It is not 100% compatible with any theme at the moment.
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

Thanks

Sauriks exact description is

iOS6 is Compatible-(er)

This is from his last update.

From the themes that I have been following, there are areas that are not working in WB. It is not 100% compatible with any theme at the moment.
    Agreed. But still the point remains that we'll all be on the same level Playing field on day 1, 2 or 3 after the jailbreak. I'll just get the earlier shot at testing. That's all. When people, three days later, finally get to download the newest Winterboard, the same themes will either be not compatible or compatible by that point as well.

As I understand it, if Winterboard itself is compatible with a given iOS, then any theme that opened in Winterboard before will open now. Themes are just collections of HTML and Java. HTML doesn't change from one iOS to the next. Winterboard is simply a shell that runs HTML and Java. Right?

So if Winterboard is compatible with iOS 6.1 it will run any existing theme. Nothing has to be updated in the theme itself. Where am I going wrong in my analysis?
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-30-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks

Agreed. But still the point remains that we'll all be on the same level Playing field on day 1, 2 or 3 after the jailbreak. I'll just get the earlier shot at testing. That's all. When people, three days later, finally get to download the newest Winterboard, the same themes will either be not compatible or compatible by that point as well.

And where specifically are you getting your information about which themes are compatible or not. As I understand it, If Winterboard itself is compatible with a given iOS, then any theme that opened in Winterboard before will open now. Themes are just collections of HTML and Java. HTML doesn't change from one iOS to the next. Winterboard is simply a shell that runs HTML and Java. Right?

So if Winterboard is compatible with iOS 6.1 it will run any existing theme. Nothing has to be updated in the theme itself. Where am I going wrong in my analysis?
    I don't know a whole lot about themes. But I am guessing the incompatibilities will come from Apple renaming system files in the update. So winterboard itself may not need to be updated but the themes might to incorporate these changes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-30-2013)

Thanks

I don't know a whole lot about themes. But I am guessing the incompatibilities will come from Apple renaming system files in the update. So winterboard itself may not need to be updated but the themes might to incorporate these changes.
    Where things are stored - path names and all that? I'm just going by last year. My two top themes last January were 1Derful and EPHD. Winterboard and EPHD both worked on 4.3.3 the day before I jailbroke. Then 72 hours after I jailbroke (cause of Cydia server lag) they still worked on 5.1.1.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-30-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks

Where things are stored - path names and all that? I'm just going by last year. My two top themes last January were 1Derful and EPHD. Winterboard and EPHD both worked on 4.3.3. The day before I jailbroke. The 72 hours after I jailbroke (cause of Cydia server lag) they still worked on 5.1.1.
    I just remember running a theme that wasn't 5.X ready and it worked for the most part. But like 1 or 2 icons wouldn't theme. Like I said, not a themer, I occasionally try out some themes but don't know enough about it to say what could break or not work properly. That is just my guess.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-30-2013)

Thanks

****NEWSFLASH****
    Keep watching your Cydia updates! They're giving us signals of the impending jailbreak as now
    * FolderEnhancer &
    * Multi Icon Mover
    ..are claiming Fully Compatible with "6.1".

Expecting a lot of Cydia tweak updates in the next 3 days.

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually dont see any need for doing all that, i mean why dont you just wait 2 maybe 3 days and the lag would disappear... If you own an iphone 5 , that means that you've most likely been waiting for quite awhile now so adding couple more days shouldn't do any harm... And if you're on 5.1.1 then stick with it for those couple days and update later on when the lag is over. I know that doing this "complicated" thing is more fun, at least it is for me since i get the feeling that i actually did something ... But i just dont see any reason to:
    1- waist time.
    2- possibly encounter errors later on.
    3- most likely failing couple times and having to restore
    While all that could be avoided by just waiting couple days...
    Anyway, whatever you chose to do, good luck and sorry for my bad english :/
    Last edited by Faresismail; 01-31-2013 at 04:02 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Faresismail For This Useful Post:

JoeRobels (01-31-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    I actually dont see any need for doing all that, i mean why dont you just wait 2 maybe 3 days and the lag would disappear... If you own an iphone 5 , that means that you've most likely been waiting for quite awhile now so adding couple more days shouldn't do any harm... And if you're on 5.1.1 then stick with it for those couple days and update later on when the lag is over. I know that doing this "complicated" thing is more fun, at least it is for me since i get the feeling that i actually did something ... But i just dont see any reason to:
    1- waist time.
    2- possibly encounter errors later on.
    3- most likely failing couple times and having to restore
    While all that could be avoided by just waiting couple days...
    Anyway, whatever you chose to do, good luck and sorry for my bad english :/
    Read the whole thread and you'll see there is little chance of errors. Also I'm already on iPhone 5 and switching my SIM back and forth between JB 4S and the 5. I'm just ready to be UP and running. Ya feel me?! Lol!!

Thanks

Hey Grant, I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all, but I honestly would not state that there are "little" chance of errors. This is speculative at this point. Just to be safe, maybe say that "From what we currently know, there appears to be a small chance of errors, but this has not been confirmed".

Until this has actually been tried no one can say with any absolute certainty that the chance of errors is small. I'm sure you get what I'm saying here, just trying to help you minimize your so called "liability" that's all.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (01-31-2013)

Thanks

Hey Grant, I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all, but I honestly would not state that there are "little" chance of errors. This is speculative at this point. Just to be safe, maybe say that "From what we currently know, there appears to be a small chance of errors, but this has not been confirmed".

Until this has actually been tried no one can say with any absolute certainty that the chance of errors is small. I'm sure you get what I'm saying here, just trying to help you minimize your so called "liability" that's all.
    Yes, King. Prudent disclaimer. Agreed! I'm a little over zealous for it working since I'm a bit of a trail blazer on this.

But all the theming tweaks I regularly use except iWidgets, and Springtomize2, as of today, are confirmed on Cydia as 6.1 ready. More than ever I'm convinced the .DEB method will work. But you're right to 'rein me in'!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-31-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes, King. Prudent disclaimer. Agreed! I'm a little over zealous for it working since I'm a bit of a trail blazer on this.

But all the theming tweaks I regularly use except iWidgets, and Springtomize2, as of today, are confirmed on Cydia as 6.1 ready. More than ever I'm convinced the .DEB method will work. But you're right to 'rein me in'!!
    Trailblazer.... Your probably gonna be the only one doing this. Maybe your the Lone Ranger instead?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRobels View Post
    Trailblazer.... Your probably gonna be the only one doing this. Maybe your the Lone Ranger instead?
    You wanna be his Tonto lol

Thanks

Sometimes I feel like the horse 😳

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You wanna be his Tonto lol
    He can ride off into the sunset by himself

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRobels View Post
    Steve Jobs was a LoneRanger as were many great innovators. The public says no - we say yes! Just let me have that.

Enjoy waiting through hours and hours of server logjam, Joe. That's your prerogative, bro! LOL!!!! I will be up and running with all my theme tweaks within minutes.

I will post a screen shot here of the auros theme running on my 5. And we'll see if it works or not. I'm just glad I thought of it first. LOL! I'm surprised no one thinks of doing this? Maybe they all are worried about compatibility issues. But again - the very same Cydia versions that are at Cydia the 1 hour BEFORE the jailbreak drops are the EXACT same versions available 1 hour AFTER the jailbreak drops. So as long as I have the .DEB files downloaded - I have the chance of being up and running WITHOUT waiting for the servers to clear - which as as I said can be anywhere from 24 to 72 hours like it was for 5.1.1. For sure Saurik rewriting Cydia to have all Sources already updated will help. And for that reason - maybe all of us will be in line - in the same position. BUT - we'll ALL BE working with the SAME Tweak VERSIONS.. And that's the point here and why I made this thread. There is NO need to WAIT in line.