+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 v4.0.1

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I have an almost 3 year old iPhone 4 with iOS 4.0.1 that I have never connected to my computer. I jailbroke it with cydia about two weeks after I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 v4.0.1
    I have an almost 3 year old iPhone 4 with iOS 4.0.1 that I have never connected to my computer. I jailbroke it with cydia about two weeks after I got it. Cydia v1.1.6 is installed. The phone is starting to do some wacky things. It won't even let me onto iTunes or the app store! After reading a whole bunch of posts I am confused as hell. I could use some guidance please.
    I started to do some stuff to back it up and followed a link to tiny umbrella, ty Simon, downloaded v6.01.01 and saved the SHSH files from cydia and I guess from the phone, to my comp. It says I have v5.1.1, 5.1.1b and 6.0.1 saved to file. I have backed up the phone with the latest iTunes, v11.0.1.12.
    My question is, if I upgrade this phone, from iTunes on my computer, will I lose all my calender info, notes, contacts, etc?? I am not too familiar with iTunes and not to sure if I should sync it or what? I keep reading that it will delete everything on my phone if I do sync!!
    The second question would be, if I choose not to jailbreak this phone again can I do that without any problems? Can I update to the 6.0.1 iOS with no issues?
    Thanks for any info you can supply.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

You can back it up in iTunes. That way after restoring to the firmware you want you can restore all your contacts, pics etc back to the phone.
    First question: Is the phone unlocked or does it even need to be?

It sounds like you have 5.1.1 shsh so depending on your answer to the unlock question you can either go to 5.1.1 and still be able to jailbreak or you can go to 6.0.1 if you aren't worried with jailbreaking.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply Simon. That is a good question on the unlock! I don't know. I am still with the same carrier that I bought the phone with (Bell Canada) so I'm not sure. I have cydia, ********** and winterboard installed if that helps.

Thanks

If you are on the original carrier then you don't need to unlock it sounds like, unless you plan on using it with a different carrier at some point.

FYI the starred out app you have I can not help you with anything regarding that, we have a no warez policy on MMi.

I can help you go to 5.1.1 and jailbreak or go to 6.0.1 and not jailbreak, your choice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If I go to 5.1.1 and decide down the road to just update to latest iOS, can I still do that with no problems?

Thanks

Yup, you can

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok. I might as well go with the 5.1.1. How should I proceed?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey Simon. I understand what to do but do I need to download a firmware file first? If so, I have 5.1.1 and
    5.1.1b saved to file for SHSH. Which firmware version do I have to download?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Do I have to extract files or leave as zip?

Thanks

Shouldn't be a zip file. Rename it to .ipsw or redownload it with Firefox.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is how it downloaded. I can just erase the .zip and replace with .ipsw?

iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.zip

Thanks

Yes, replace the .zip with .ipsw

After doing that the icon should change to a white cube.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok that worked. The question I have though is that the file seems to be for an "iPhone3,1" but my phone is a 4!Is this the correct file? Also when redsn0w asks for the local SHSH file do I point it to the 5.1.1 or the 5.1.1b file?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip31 View Post
    ok that worked. The question I have though is that the file seems to be for an "iPhone3,1" but my phone is a 4!Is this the correct file? Also when redsn0w asks for the local SHSH file do I point it to the 5.1.1 or the 5.1.1b file?
    Yes, that's the right file for an iPhone 4. Point redsnow to the 5.1.1 one, not 5.1.1b.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Simon. Just home from work. Will give this a go and let you know!!

Hi Simon. So far everything seems to be ok. I have been sitting here for about 20 min. after going into pwned DFU mode. redsn0w is saying "please wait while your build is being processed" and "exploiting with limera1n" the progress bar is right to the end as well. How long should this take, and when should I open iTunes and restore?
    Last edited by Chip31; 01-18-2013 at 05:06 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am an hour in now and redsn0w has not done anything but "processing" and "exploiting"! Looks to me like it's frozen or something. Task manager says redsn0w is "running". Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you are running redsnow on windows vista/7 you need to run it as admin and in windows xp compatibility mode.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I ran redsn0w as admin and did the pwnd DFU. It allowed me this time. I opened iTunes and once it was booted up it recognized the phone in recovery mode. I held down the alt key and clicked restore this iphone. The screen that pops up says it is going to do 6.0.1 and does not give me the choice to select an ipsw. How should I proceed?