Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone reboots itself then gets stuck in boot loop

Unhappy iPhone reboots itself then gets stuck in boot loop
    Hey everyone I'm new here and need a little help.

I have an iPhone 4S that continually gets stuck in a boot loop. I am able to get in a DFU mode and restore it via iTunes but it'll only act normal for a few minutes before it reboots itself and gets stuck in a boot loop.

Occasionally I can do a hard reset (power+home) and it'll boot just fine. After a few minutes it'll go through the boot cycle again. The same happens if I turn it off via the power button - it'll appear to shutdown gracefully but just gets stuck in the cycle. Occasionally I'll see the NAND screen with a bunch of other text otherwise it's just the apple logo.

The phone was jail broken at one point but has since been upgraded to the newest IOS without a jailbreak. It's currently restored with a fresh install with no apps other than the ones that come with the install. This problem occurred first when the phone was jail broken but has not gone away with a fresh install

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

When you do the restore, are you restoring from a backup afterwards or are you setting it up as new?

Edit: I understand you said "fresh install" but some people still say that but restore from backup which may be an issue with previously backed up files that were saved when jailbroken.

I am setting it up as new just in case something from the previous restoration point is causing it to fail. I also noticed in the diagnostics there are several panic.plist logs. A quick google search of panic.plist points to a hardware failure :/

P.S. I really appreciate your time.

I am setting it up as new just in case something from the previous restoration point is causing it to fail. I also noticed in the diagnostics there are several panic.plist logs. A quick google search of panic.plist points to a hardware failure :/

P.S. I really appreciate your time.

Thanks

Yes, unfortunately on a completely clean install if the problem persists then a hardware failure is likely. I'm sorry for your misfortune.

Any idea which hardware component can be to blame? I'm not opposed to breaking this bad boy open for a repair. I'm caught in the middle of an expired warranty and a upgrade that's 4months away.

Thanks

Sorry, hardware isn't my specialty. Try messaging this guy:
    View Profile: Cowboy - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com

He's real good with that kind of stuff. He may know.

no one can truly pinpoint what may hardware may cause that constant boot loop from a fresh new restore unless you're highly trained hardware engineers with sophisticated diagnostic tools that can run tests on it, like Apple's hardware engineers who designed the phones.

my "guess" is that it could be the RAM or internal storage. When certain "processes" or apps (not the ones you might think but the ones that are invisible and needed to boot up the phone or run when you're on the homescreen) are loaded, its temporarily stored in RAM from the internal storage, and put in what's known as memory addresses of the RAM to allow those apps to be executed.

Without going into technical details, it may be that certain places in RAM are corrupted, which does not allow those apps to be loaded and executed...

once again, its just a hypothesis, and no one can truly pinpoint a specific issue