Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with First ever update from Jailbreak - 4.0.1 - 5.1.1 - Where to start

Default Help with First ever update from Jailbreak - 4.0.1 - 5.1.1 - Where to start
    Hey everyone relatively new here so hopefully i can get some help here

Ive got a Iphone 4 - had one since few months after release and jailbroken and now quite a few apps are not working right and they are the main ones i use, facebook, whatsapp etc..

I want and also need to upgrade so curently im in the middle of backing up all my music, vids, pics & vids etc though i tools (wonderfull piece of kit)

Now i think i have got the shsh blobs (whatever they are) for the 5.1.1 ios please help me confirm this - i didnt do anything so am unsure if i am them

If i do have them how can i first update the phone pleaese - a dumb or beginners guide would be best here lol

I can worry about the actual jailbreak later but if we can do it at the same time this would be a bonus - if any other info is required please ask

Thanks, all

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Ok first thing is the carrier a perm unlock? As in you don't rely on a gevey sim or ultrasnow of any sort?

This should give ya an idea about how to check ya shsh blobs and then we will go from there.

http://www.coolestguyplanettech.com/...tiny-umbrella/

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Ok first thing is the carrier a perm unlock? As in you don't rely on a gevey sim or ultrasnow of any sort?

This should give ya an idea about how to check ya shsh blobs and then we will go from there.

How to check and save iPhone SHSH iOS Blobs to Computer or to Cydia
    didnt really full understand what you are asking me mate. If you can dumb it down for me please

My carrier or network provider is vodafone and thats who i bought / got the phone from so i dont think its full unlocked to be used with all the other networks

Dont understand the gavey sim/ultrasnow part

How to check and save iPhone SHSH iOS Blobs to Computer or to Cydia
    Didnt really fully understand what your asking mate but hopefully i can give some info

My carrier or network provider is vodafone and that who i bought the phone from originally. Since then i havent unlocked the phone or anything so dont know if other sim cards will work in it. - Hope that part helps

Not sure about the gevey sim/ultrasnow part

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Do a search on EBay Vodafone unlock. There is this guy can factory unlock it for 6.99 . Once you are unlocked you need not worry about baseband and you can restore to whatever firmware apple no longer signs if you have saved blobs .

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Do a search on EBay Vodafone unlock. There is this guy can factory unlock it for 6.99 . Once you are unlocked you need not worry about baseband and you can restore to whatever firmware apple no longer signs if you have saved blobs .
    so i have to unlock the phone before updating?? this is more confusing than i thought lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Send him a message before purchasing

No if your iPhone is locked to a carrier and you do not need unlock, restoring to stock fw updates baseband.
    If your current baseband is already unlock able by Ultrasn0w , you must preserve this baseband by restoring to custom fw which is even more confusing .
    Factory unlock is done remotely and you will be notified . Once you are notified by the unlocker you can update as normal update .
    Last edited by iYeow; 01-04-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Send him a message before purchasing

No if your iPhone is locked to a carrier and you do not need unlock, restoring to stock fw updates baseband.
    If your current baseband is already unlock able by Ultrasn0w , you must preserve this baseband by restoring to custom fw which is even more confusing .
    Factory unlock is done remotely and you will be notified . Once you are notified by the unlocker you can update as normal update .
    thanks for the help and advice iyeow but for the time being i dont relly want to unlock the phone plus i can probably get it done for cheaper from few shops right next to where i live

How can i check if my phone is locked only to vodafone?? more than likely it is so if i update ot 5.1.1. what is the worse that can happen if i dont unlock it yet as that might waste more of my time.

I thought i could update the phone to 5.1.1 either by downloading the update from the apple website or even through cydia as on the top line it says shsh 5.1.1 - so does that mean cydia has already saved the shsh blobs for me?

Thanks

Yes you have 5.1.1 blobs which means you can update to that firmware. What yeow is trying to say if ya update ya phone to 5.1.1 and ya baseband updates which it will ya phone will be an iPod till ya git it unlocked.

Yes you have 5.1.1 blobs which means you can update to that firmware. What yeow is trying to say if ya update ya phone to 5.1.1 and ya baseband updates which it will ya phone will be an iPod till ya git it unlocked.
    so even though i am with vodafone (who i got the phone from) and will be staying with them and not changing my provider when i update my phone from 4.0.1 to 5.1.1 the modem firmware (baseband) will defintely change so i cant use it as a phone??

Thanks

You sayin that I wanna say you will be ok ill make sure thou. Lemme ask some guys that's will know for certain.

You sayin that I wanna say you will be ok ill make sure thou. Lemme ask some guys that's will know for certain.
    please mate if u can, u being in america shouldnt make a difference should it?? as in for modem / baseband numbers and that

A few other forums are saying it wont change my baseband as im going to be using the same sim after anyway

sooooo confused at the mo, just want to update the phone first and get whatsapp, facebook and few others working

Thanks

I wanna tell you yes. But then I will feel horrible if ya can't use ya phone and need to git it unlocked for you to use it.