Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4

Default Iphone 4
    Hello

I have had my iphone 4 since new I bought it from the UK were i got it unlocked because i wanted to use
    it in Ireland. I have never updated my phone because i was told i couldnt Is this true ? Version 4.0.1 (8A306) firmware 01.59.00 Any help would be appreciated alfie

Thanks
    Thanked 10,213 Times in 6,215 Posts

If it has been officially unlocked, you can update no problem at all, you may lose untethered jailbreak if move up to 6.0.1 though.

Thanks for reply blkcadi I got it opened to all networks I have cydia and limera1n on there does that change things ? Sorry am new to this thanks again for reply alfieire

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

From what I am reading on your first post, you rely on Ultrasn0w and not factory unlocked. I suggest you stay at 4.0.1 unless you can factory unlocked. You are not going to get signal even if you preserve this bb and when on 6.0.1.

When = went

Thanks iYeow does that mean I still can update apps or download apps that need over the 4.0 that's what's prompted my panic all my apps are asking for updates and stop working thanks again

Thanks

If your not factory unlocked, there are companies that can do it for under $5.00. Well worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    If your not factory unlocked, there are companies that can do it for under $5.00. Well worth it.
    Agree then never have to worry about the hassle of making custom firmwares and losing ya unlock it will be permanent

Thanks everyone because cydia is on there does that mean if I plug it in to iTunes and update that I could block my phone because I have no idea how to find a company to do a factory unlock I have never used cydia I jus want my apps back thanks again

Thanks

This is a company I have used many times for factory unlocks.
    Factory Unlock Code Service for at T USA Apple iPhone 3 3G 3GS 4 4S 5 Permanent | eBay

Your in Ireland? What UK network was it originally locked to?

It was on o2 thanks

if i get the UK carrier to unlock my phone will i then be able to update phone and apps ? wpuould i have to uninstall cydia/redsnow before i done this thanks everyone

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Depends I think for it to work ya need to restore ya phone. I could be wrong but that will be the best way to go.

It's a bit vague exactly what your after, and where your at, so advise is a bit hard to offer. But, if I understand your issue correctly you have a phone locked to o2 UK and want to use it in ROI on a different network to o2? Your phone is presently Jailbreak'd and you rely on Ultrasnow for the unlock and your worried if updating your phones IOS will mean you lose the unlock? And your only interest in having a Jailbreak'd phone is for the unlock?

If so, I'd say your best bet is make a trip north to NI, pick up an o2 PAYG sim and stick 15 credit on it. Make a call on the phone (no need to wait for it to be answered). The phone will now be linked to o2 once more. Now go online and complete the o2 unlocking request page (Google for it). 9/10 o2 will unlock your phone for you for the feee of 15, which they'll take from the PAYG sim you put the 15 credit onto.

Once this is complete (takes a week or so) you'll have a factory unlocked phone, which can be updated to the latest IOS and will still be unlocked.

I live in NI, if you need any help, get in touch via the messaging service on this site.

Baskie you are a legend that's exactly what I need thanks for all your great help would I have to remain in the north for the unlock to go through or just leave the sim in while down south thanks again

As I understand it once a call has been made in the North using the O2 sim the sim can then be removed. Certainly that's my experience of getting O2 phones unlocked.

So it follows that once the sim is removed the phone can go to any country.

Once the phone is unlocked O2 will send a text to the number associated with the O2 sim you used for the call, but obviously you won't get that message if you remove the sim, so just check the phone with another sim after a week or so and it should be unlocked.

Which thinking about it, presents its own problem: you won't know if the unlock is factory (ie, from O2) or a software unlock (ultras now)! Hmmm, difficult that one, not sure what to suggest.

Perhaps the best option is to put the O2 sim back in the phone after a few weeks, connect to O2 Ireland and see if any messages appear confirming the unlock. Or contact O2 to confirm its been unlocked.

What I can confirm from experience is that if they take the 15 charge from the PAYG sim they will eventually unlock the phone as they don't take the money until they can confirm its unlockable, so check the balance regularly and once the 15 is gone you'll know your on the way.

Again, I'm in NI so get in touch if you need local help.

Another trick I've tried in the past, to ascertain if an O2 phone can be unlocked, is to go thru the process but not put the 15 on the sim. You will then either get an email from O2 saying the phone can't be unlocked or there wasn't enough credit on the sim to pay for the unlock.

If you get the latter email (not enough funds) you know your good for an unlock, you just need to put the credit on the sim and start the process over.

This method save the risk of putting the 15 on the card then dividing the phone isn't eligible for an unlock, so wasting 15!
    Last edited by baskie; 01-06-2013 at 07:35 AM.