Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
12-30-2012, 12:17 PM #1Jailbroken iphone 4, 5.1.1 (via absinthe - untethered) - "Photos" app won't launch
Hi - I will preface this by saying I am still learning about this stuff.
What I have:
- Iphone 4 on 5.1.1, with an untethered jailbreak via Absinthe.
- I don't have much installed - currently the only non-stock Cydia app is TetherMe (the reason I jailbroke) although I used to have SBSettings and a few more tiny things, which I no longer use.
- I also jailbroke my ipad 3 using the same technique (although all I use there is sbsettings)
- This phone ran fine for quite some time (months and months), but at some point I stopped being able to launch the Photos app - when I click it, I get "Places" instead. I can still get to the photos if I open the Camera app.
- Additionally, I ran into oddities with the photos themselves - thumbnails looked fine, but when I clicked on one to open it, I might get another (waaaay out of sequence).
- The iPad has *no* such issues.
What I tried:
- I recently decided to re-restore using redsn0w. I had my SHSH blob saved to Cydia, and downloaded it. I researched how to use redsn0w to re-restore. (Oh, and in the meantime I used iphone explorer to copy out all my photos for safekeeping)
- The Photos app launched fine, although I had to re-import my old photos from my backup.
- I installed TetherMe.
- I *think* Photos still launched fine, although I can't remember how many times I tested it and at what point.
As of now:
- Photos app *again* launches the Places app.
- I uninstalled TetherMe, restarted the springboard, and the problem persists.
This is really more of an annoyance than anything else. But it's becoming a really irritating annoyance. If I could do an untethered jailbreak to 6 I would, but of course, that isn't an option. I would really like to keep TetherMe so I don't have to pay AT&T extra for the privilege of using my grandfathered/'unlimited' data plan on my iPad!!
Any advice welcome, and please be gentle, as I'm learning this stuff as I go along.