+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken iPhone 4, no longer have access to original (main) iTunes library...

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
As the title states, I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 (5.1.1) and I no longer have access to the computer that I used to sync with the phone. When I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Jailbroken iPhone 4, no longer have access to original (main) iTunes library...
    As the title states, I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 (5.1.1) and I no longer have access to the computer that I used to sync with the phone. When I try to connect it to my new computer, I get the "Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?" prompt.

I've found some tutorials on manually managing music on your iPhone across multiple computers, but in order to do that, you need access to the main computer that the iPhone is authorized/connected to.

I don't want to lose my contacts/jailbreak/apps, etc. Is there any way to manually manage the content of this iPhone without erasing everything? Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

Thanks

Using SFTP, you can copy over all your music from your phone's music stash (purchased from iTunes or otherwise) to your iTunes on your computer, and just "erase and set up as new" for music without actually losing anything. A simple "transfer purchases" should also work for any other media: videos, books, podcasts, etc.

Apps, same concept: you can "transfer all purchases" and that will get a copy of all your purchased/free apps to your new computer. You will have to re-sync your apps again (build your SpringBoard pages again in iTunes under your device in the sidebar), but again, re-syncing shouldn't erase all data with those apps.

Contacts shouldn't be affected at all. I'd advise you use a syncing service like Google or iCloud to back up your contacts over-the-air, at which point the computer used to sync is wholly irrelevant.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Jiglet (12-06-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Using SFTP, you can copy over all your music from your phone's music stash (purchased from iTunes or otherwise) to your iTunes on your computer, and just "erase and set up as new" for music without actually losing anything. A simple "transfer purchases" should also work for any other media: videos, books, podcasts, etc.

Apps, same concept: you can "transfer all purchases" and that will get a copy of all your purchased/free apps to your new computer. You will have to re-sync your apps again (build your SpringBoard pages again in iTunes under your device in the sidebar), but again, re-syncing shouldn't erase all data with those apps.

Contacts shouldn't be affected at all. I'd advise you use a syncing service like Google or iCloud to back up your contacts over-the-air, at which point the computer used to sync is wholly irrelevant.
    Thank you for your reply! So doing this won't force me to update to the latest iOS and therefore lose my jailbreak?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jiglet View Post
    Thank you for your reply! So doing this won't force me to update to the latest iOS and therefore lose my jailbreak?
    Correct.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Jiglet (12-07-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Correct.
    This worked perfectly. I did not suspect it'd be so simple. Thanks again!