+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking 3Gs with 6.0.1

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Okay guys here's the situation, I've recently bought a iPhone 3Gs from Amazon thinking the firmware was 5.1.1 but it turned out to be 6.0.1 instead. I'm not really sure,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Jailbreaking 3Gs with 6.0.1
    Okay guys here's the situation, I've recently bought a iPhone 3Gs from Amazon thinking the firmware was 5.1.1 but it turned out to be 6.0.1 instead. I'm not really sure, but I think there's a tethered jailbreak for the 3Gs out there. I also can't downgrade to 5.1.1 because I don't have the SHSH blobs for it.

So here's my question: Can I jailbreak my iPhone 3Gs? (even if it's a tethered jailbreak)
    And will I be able to run Ultrasn0w on it to unlock it to use with any GSM carrier?
    Also, will Rocky Racoon be able to set it to untethered?

Specs: iPhone 3Gs
    Firmware 6.0.1
    Baseband 5.16.07
    was made in the year 2011 on the 12th week.

Please guys, I really need help with this issue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Jailbreak it tethered & check in Cydia, u might be lucky & the previous owner may have saved shsh blobs. Or with Cydia u can use "iSHSHiT" to download & email any shsh's on the device or Cydia.

Even if u can't downgrade, if its an "old bootroom" 3GS u can upgrade to iPad baseband 06.15.00, then use Redsn0w to downgrade baseband to 05.13.04 which can be unlocked with Ultrasn0w.

ONLY DO THE IPAD BASEBAND IF UR IPHONE 3GS IS "OLD" bootroom, k!

Thanks

FYI.....actually iPad BB is not bootrom dependent...it's the radio chip that's the key...it's usually determined by the serial number date code...I believe it's anything made before week 35 of 2011 should be good to go for iPad baseband..
    Last edited by xboxbml; 11-30-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Thanks

FYI, I know that but for most it's less confusing this way.

If there's a better way tell that to iH8sn0w with sn0wbreeze that says the iPhone 3GS I just fixed was new bootroom but was working with ipad baseband.

Thanks

If its all ready on iPad BB, then you should be able to do the baseband downgrade to 5.13.04...that should give gps function back too...but if he has carrier unlock...once bb downgrade to 5.13.04 is done, then he should be able to restore to any version with stitched blobs he has, or just go to latest FW and that should update baseband to latest also...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes I understand, but can I jailbreak the 6.0.1 firmware? Then be able to install iPad BB 6.15.0 then be able to downgrade back to 5.13.04 to be able to run ultrasn0w on it?

Thanks

When u open Cydia, what shsh blobs are listed on the top of the first page in green?

Yes u can do that but u should go to www.ih8sn0w.com & use either Sn0wbreeze or iDetector to find out if ur new or old bootroom (hopefully it says old bootroom)

If its old bootroom then yes u can flash iPad baseband 06.15.00 then downgrade it to 05.13.04 to use Ultrasn0w & unlock it. I'm not 100% positive about ultrasn0w on iOS 6.0 & 6.0.1 but u can use Redsn0w to query Cydia for shsh blobs or if u have Cydia, install "iSHSHiT" free in Cydia & query blobs from ur device & Cydia servers. Then u can email them to ur desktop & stitch locally.
    Last edited by nillam1; 11-30-2012 at 08:48 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't have cydia installed. I haven't jailbroken my phone yet, that's why I'm asking these questions.

Thanks

Sorry just read that u haven't jailbroken it, yes use Redsn0w & jailbreak it.

You'll need to "boot tethered" first thing u should do is open Cydia & check for blobs in green writing at top of cydia first page. If there is shshs use iSHSHiT & if u can find iOS 5.1.1 blobs, downgrade to iOS 5.1.1.

Also u most likely wont be able to unlock if its "new bootroom" unless u have one of the new bootroom 3GS' with old chip
    Last edited by nillam1; 11-30-2012 at 08:54 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried finding my SHSH blobs using Tinyumbrela, would iSHSHiT be better? I couldn't find any blobs at all, that's why I'm just thinking about jailbreaking on 6.0.1
    But I can jailbreak 6.0.1 now, even if it tethered right? and I'll be able to upgrade to iPad BB then downgrade back to 5.13.04 to be able to run ultrasn0w?

Thanks

A) Jailbreak & find out what shsh's are available to retrieve/use.

B) use sn0wbreeze or iDetector to find out if u have new or old bootroom.

Tinyumbrella only does what's on the device, jailbreak & check in Cydia top in green letters.

If there's any there use iSHSHiT & email them to ur pc or u can use Redsn0w to query, stitch & restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay thanks I'll give this a go and see how it goes.

Thanks

Yes u can jailbreak tethered now & hopefully if u have "old bootroom" u will easily be able to do the iPad baseband upgrade to 06.15.00 & then downgrade to unlockable/desirable 05.13.04.

Worry about the baseband after cuz that'll be determined on if ur iphone is new or old bootroom (some new bootroom 3GS have old chip but its ur responsibility to verify exactly. Serial #'s may tell but if u just run iDetector & it says old bootroom then that's good)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderxkx View Post
    Okay thanks I'll give this a go and see how it goes.
    After u jailbreak it, hopefully the person u bought it from saved iOS 5.1.1 shsh blobs.

If u see the ios 5.1.1 blobs there u can use iSHSHiT or just restore with >Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 >Extras >Even More >Restore & choose iOS 5.1.1 firmware .ipsw & then choose to use the "Remote" blobs for restore.

That's if they've been saved, if u don't want to jailbreak to check shsh's u can use Redsn0w >Extras >SHSH Blobs >Query to see what's been saved also.
    Last edited by nillam1; 11-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've checked your "Redsn0w >Extras >SHSH Blobs >Query to see what's been saved also." method and there's no blobs available. That's why I have to jailbreak in 6.0.1. Also is there another program like iDetector but for Mac?

Doesn't the date it was made tell me if it has a new or old bootrom? It was made in the year 2011 on the 12th week.

Thanks

I've checked your "Redsn0w >Extras >SHSH Blobs >Query to see what's been saved also." method and there's no blobs available. That's why I have to jailbreak in 6.0.1. Also is there another program like iDetector but for Mac?

Doesn't the date it was made tell me if it has a new or old bootrom? It was made in the year 2011 on the 12th week.
    Not always, try the Mac version f0recast v1.3 on ih8snow.com k

I don't use Mac so I can't help u there, I do know on pc u can find out if its new or old bootroom without any program by connecting the iPhone to computer, open no programs just enter DFU mode. On pc you'd then go to >Control panel >Device manager ,>USB controllers >Apple DFU device & in the properties under "device instance path" the #'s can tell u exactly if its new or old bootroom.

Should be similar on mac

Thanks
    Thanked 14,170 Times in 6,642 Posts

iClarified - iPhone - How to Check the Bootrom Version of Your iPhone (Mac)

Bootrom will tell you if you can jailbreak tethered or untethered on 6.0.1. It won't tell you if you can install the iPad baseband. That is determined by your serial number. As long as your 3GS was manufactured before week 28 of 2011 then you can install the iPad baseband and downgrade back to 5.13.04 after.

Thanks

Here try this

Mac Users:
    Step1: Put your iPhone 3Gs into DFU mode.
    Step 2: Run System Profiler and navigate to Hardware : USB
    Step 3: At the top right under “USB Device Tree” panel click “Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode)”.
    Step 4: Now down under in “Serial Number”, simply go through the string and you’ll find the bootrom version (iBoot)

New Bootrom 359.3.2 & greater

Or this! Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just did the f0recast check and I guess I can unlock it by the iPad BB as I hoped. It says, "Unlockable: Upgrade to iPad baseband."

Thanks

Just did the f0recast check and I guess I can unlock it by the iPad BB as I hoped. It says, "Unlockable: Upgrade to iPad baseband."
    That's cool but double check before cuz I've not tried it on iOS 6.0 or 6.0.1.

If you've jailbroken it already did Cydia show any shshs in green or iSHSHiT have any shsh blobs?

iOS 5.1.1 downgrade would be best for the untether, then flashing iPad baseband & downgrading to 05.13.04 on iOS 5.1.1 but if its ok to do it on iOS 6.0.1 booting tethered is no biggie. I think the newer tethered jailbreaks still allow u to make phone calls & texts if ur battery dies & u can't get to ur computer but u can charge it to use the iPhone without Cydia. "I THINK" last time I was on a tethered jailbreak was on iOS 3.1.2 with blackra1n in January of 2010!!! & you'd only get the apple logo until u rebooted tethered & "Made it ra1n"
    Last edited by nillam1; 11-30-2012 at 09:49 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Haven't jailbroken yet, but I intend to do it possibly tonight.

LinkBacks (?)