+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Timing to buy iPhone 5 so as to get ready for iOS 6 JB

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I am one of those who chose to stay jailbroken on 5.1.1 on my 4S because I'm just too devoted to a Jailbroken phone that I can't go back to
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,568 Times in 3,858 Posts

Default Timing to buy iPhone 5 so as to get ready for iOS 6 JB
    I am one of those who chose to stay jailbroken on 5.1.1 on my 4S because I'm just too devoted to a Jailbroken phone that I can't go back to stock - ever.. The fact that the iPhone 5 was 'underwhelming' aided my decision to stay put until a new jailbreak is ready - but that begs a question - when to buy and 'hold onto' (not activate) an iPhone 5....

This morning I was updating some things in Cydia and noticed that Cydia has already saved 6.0.1 SHSH blobs for me. What? -- I thought.. I've never upgraded to 6 yet... Well -- whatever the reason Cydia sees it necessary to save that for me (since 6.0.1 would be an upgrade for me) -- I'm left concerned about WHEN I should at least 'buy' my iPhone 5. Why?

We all know the devs will choose to focus on 6.0.1 or 6.1 (or later). We know - at some point they will say -- DON'T UPGRADE to 6.x.x because our untethered is only gonna be available for 6.x.x. But NEW phones that we'll buy later will come STOCK with the 'higher' OS leaving it out of reach of a jailbreak if, for example, they release a JB for 6.0.1 and 6.1 is out.

So what's the strategy for 'preparing' to be Jailbreakable on iOS6 when it comes? Should I buy a phone NOW that will contain 6.0.1 and 'stay put' -- not activate it??

Any thoughts?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Who knows if 6.0.1 is the one that will have the untether? or 6.1? Or....7....or...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goofball2k View Post
    Who knows if 6.0.1 is the one that will have the untether? or 6.1? Or....7....or...
    So my question is pertinent. Buy now - while it's still possible to get a new ip5 with 6.0.1 on it?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    So my question is pertinent. Buy now - while it's still possible to get a new ip5 with 6.0.1 on it?
    More than likely the untethered will come out after all the bugs are worked out in ios6+. So you should be ok no matter what time you purchase.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Without knowledge of when untethered will be released, you could be buying now and the untether could come in 10 months from now, and it may be the most current iOS at the time that is jb'ed. On the other hand, you could be right and only good on 6.0.1 or what we have now. So it's anyone's guess as to what will happen.

Thanks

Without knowledge of when untethered will be released, you could be buying now and the untether could come in 10 months from now, and it may be the most current iOS at the time that is jb'ed. On the other hand, you could be right and only good on 6.0.1 or what we have now. So it's anyone's guess as to what will happen.
    Yeah. I was afraid of that... This is the first time I haven't upgraded immediately. So it's a whole new world trying to stay jailbroken until a new JB for the new phone comes out.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,303 Times in 1,609 Posts

I'm in exactly the same boat as you so to speak.JB iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1, I too have toyed with idea of buying a 5 and shelving it till a Untethered JB comes out. It's a hard one I guess, u hear the Dev team saying A5/A6 is hard to inject the exploits to but then they have a Failbreak for themselves. If they are waiting till apple release 6.1 before they finalize their Untethered JB I'm ok with that. I also don't want to miss out. I think JB's are going to get harder and harder to deploy as each iOS version apple patches those vulnerabilities so perhaps they are holding off till 6.1 drops to save this JB or it's just not ready. I seen a pic MuscleNerd put up on his Twitter showing Planetbeing with root level access on his iPad mini so it's definitely promising. Just have to be patient I guess. Roll on the Untethered iOS 6 JB!!
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you so to speak.JB iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1, I too have toyed with idea of buying a 5 and shelving it till a Untethered JB comes out. It's a hard one I guess, u hear the Dev team saying A5/A6 is hard to inject the exploits to but then they have a Failbreak for themselves. If they are waiting till apple release 6.1 before they finalize their Untethered JB I'm ok with that. I also don't want to miss out. I think JB's are going to get harder and harder to deploy as each iOS version apple patches those vulnerabilities so perhaps they are holding off till 6.1 drops to save this JB or it's just not ready. I seen a pic MuscleNerd put up on his Twitter showing Planetbeing with root level access on his iPad mini so it's definitely promising. Just have to be patient I guess. Roll on the Untethered iOS 6 JB!!
    Yep. Timing is everything. The longer you wait to buy the phone the more chance there is that it'll have too new an iOS that isn't jailbreakable. If there's still no hint of a jailbreak by Christmas I'm gonna buy a 5 with 6.0.1 on it. Just to be safe. The question is can you activate a phone that has an older iOS after a new iOS is released? If I shelve it - it will remain unactivated until I want it. But will I be able to activate a 6.0.1 phone after 6.1 is out?

Thanks

Totally get what ur saying there!! Over here in NZ we couldn't buy the 5's outright as they were locked to carriers and u had to scrap ur existing plan. With that delay and then seeing all the issues with the 5 I think it could be an idea to wait till the next one?? BUT I work on my own theme on my 4S and of course I'm going to need to test it on a 5 but that would be the main possibly only reason to buy a 5 right now. Still tho the 5 in black looks pretty stealth! I quite like the look of the black/slate iPad mini but wished it was Retina so will wait on those too. Apparently they are in the pipeline...
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    The question is can you activate a phone that has an older iOS after a new iOS is released? If I shelve it - it will remain unactivated until I want it. But will I be able to activate a 6.0.1 phone after 6.1 is out?
    Yes, you can activate with apple, it is a restore that will fail.

Thanks

Yes, you can activate with apple, it is a restore that will fail.
    Great. So my plan is sound? Buy an iP5 before 6.1 comes out - shelve it - and then activate it when the jailbreak for 6.0.1 or 6.1 comes out? Obviously if 6.1 comes out and the JB is for that iOS I can upgrade the 'shelved iP5' and then jailbreak.

Seem like a good plan to you all?

Thanks

Seems legit, I personally don't think they will release a 6.0.1 JB not with the 6.1 Beta already out and seeded to Devs. But I like ur way of thinking!

Thanks

One other thing to consider. An AT&T iPhone 5 will come with a Sim card already in it that has a phone number assigned to it. So for a period of time you can carry your new iPhone 5 around activated to the number they assigned to that SIM and then later when you're ready to make the full switch and there's a jailbreak available you can have your number easily ported over from you 4S to your 5.