+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tried Everything How Do I Upgrade 4.1 to 5.1.1 Please Help What Am I Doing Wrong? 3GS

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Ok guys I need your help, I have been trying for days now to get my iphone back on to ios 5.1.1. Heres my story. Last week I was tinkering
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tried Everything How Do I Upgrade 4.1 to 5.1.1 Please Help What Am I Doing Wrong? 3GS
    Ok guys I need your help, I have been trying for days now to get my iphone back on to ios 5.1.1. Heres my story.

Last week I was tinkering with my beloved iphone 3GS trying to get siri to work and trying to import Siri keys to get on to the main siri server as I wanted to bring my iphone up to date you see. Anyway, I got a little carried away once I achieved this and I went a little further to free up some memory as I was experiencing lags. To cut a long story short I messed up my iphone. I tried everything to get it back to factory settings but unfortunately I took it too far and was forced to upgrade to IOS 6.

After I upgrade to IOS 6, I discovered that ultrasn0w couldn't unlock it, so I tried to downgrade to 5.1.1 using snowbreeze. Unfortunately this didn't work as Itunes kept giving me error after error. In the end after reading up on how to downgrade I find out that IOS 4.1 was still signed by Apple so I restored to IOS 4.1 and used redsn0w to jailbreak.

My iphone is working a treat now on 4.1 however, I would really like to upgrade to 5.1.1 as I liked the layout and icloud. However, I tried snowbreeze and that doesn't work, I have tried tiny umbrella and that didn't work for me? I tried redsn0w after stitching SHSH blobs to the 5.1.1 stock firmware but it got half the way through the process then through me an error and I had to install 4.1.1 stock using itunes again.

Can anyone, anyone! help me? I have been at this for a long time now and I just can't figure it out? I am not a pro I just like tinkering can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

The details of my phone are

Iphone 3GS - New Bootrom 2010
    ios 4.1.1
    Jailbroken - redsn0w
    Unlocked Ultrasn0w
    Firmware 05.13.04

Thanks for reading

Thanks

Ok good! You have the downgraded baseband all ready and not the dreaded iPad BB.. I'm mobile now so of course I can't read what u typed.. Open Cydia and tell us what blobs it shows for that device.. If u have blobs for 5.1.1 you can create a custom no BB IPSW to preserve baseband, then stitch in blobs to create a restorable IPSW for that phone using redsn0w 0.9.14b2. I think u can do same with latest RS but I haven't used that yet..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    Open Cydia and tell us what blobs it shows for that device..

At the top of Cydia it shows SHSH: IOS 4.1, 4.2.1R1, 4.3-B1, 4.3.3, 4.3.4,4.3.5, 5.01, 5.1, 5.1.1

If u have blobs for 5.1.1 you can create a custom no BB IPSW to preserve baseband, then stitch in blobs to create a restorable IPSW for that phone using redsn0w 0.9.14b2. I think u can do same with latest RS but I haven't used that yet..

When you have time I would appreciate it if you could give me a breakdown of what I am supposed to do. Any help greatly received.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Thanks I have tried this before but I kept getting error after error 3194,11,16,1600 e.t.c with itunes. I went in to hosts files and deleted itunes host but I still keep getting the error(s). Is there a way to upgrade to 5.1.1 without using itunes? or is itunes the crux of upgrading proces.

2k1
    Thanks

Ya need to use iTunes to do it.

Thanks

That tutorial only told u how to create no BB IPSW.. You then need to stitch those 5.1.1 blobs into it...then do the pwned DFU mode restore..

This is what I do on my 3GS... I think this works for a 4... This is a slightly modified version of my previous tutorial on 3GS for folks that didn't unlock...this should work for unlocking..at end of course u have to JB and install ultrasn0w as before...I've not done this myself all the way through as I don't unlock, so proceed at own risk. Would like to know I it works though...

This is for preserving baseband and stitching blobs...

1. Download stock iOS 5.1.1 IPSW.
    2. Download redsn0w 0.9.14b2
    3. Run redsn0w as administrator in windows.
    3. Click on Custom IPSW button
    4. Browse to downloaded stock IPSW
    5. Let RS Finish creating no BB IPSW
    6. Click Extras button.
    7. Click SHSH blobs button.
    8. Click Query button to see what blobs Cydia has for device.
    9. If Cydia has required blobs, Click Stitch button.
    10. Click IPSW button-browse for previously created 5.1.1 no BB IPSW file NOT the stock one.
    11. Click Blobs-Cydia button to stitch remote Cydia stored blobs to IPSW.(or could do local if you have
    them local).
    12. Let Process and finish. It will take a few minutes.
    13. Click Back button-Click Pwned DFU to put in pwned DFU mode-follow onscreen instructions.
    14. Once in pwned DFU mode, close redsn0w, launch iTunes.
    15. iTunes will see device in "recovery" mode. Click Check button.
    16. Hold down Shift key, click Restore button. Browse to that stitched IPSW file
    you created.Select it.
    17. Wait for restore to finish as normal. JB as normal(or not)...Enjoy!
    Last edited by xboxbml; 10-18-2012 at 11:25 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xboxbml For This Useful Post:

nsnobel2 (12-23-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have copied your instructions word for word xboxbml and it worked perfectly! I am forever in your debt. There are so many people on the internet that use jargon and buzz words and what not. But your simple instructions worked flawlessly! Thank you so much for your help. You are a credit to this forum.

Thanks

Great!! Glad u got it going! Not a problem! That's what we're here for!

If I were u I'd Keep a copy of that final IPSW somewhere other than on that pc...
    Last edited by xboxbml; 10-17-2012 at 01:44 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That tutorial only told u how to create no BB IPSW.. You then need to stitch those 5.1.1 blobs into it...then do the pwned DFU mode restore..

This is what I do on my 3GS... I think this works for a 4... This is a slightly modified version of my previous tutorial on 3GS for folks that didn't unlock...this should work for unlocking..at end of course u have to JB and install ultrasn0w as before...I've not done this myself all the way through as I don't unlock, so proceed at own risk. Would like to know I it works though...

6. Click Extras button.
    10. Click IPSW button-browse for previously created 5.1.1 no BB IPSW file NOT the stock one.
    11. Click Blobs-Cydia button to stitch remote Cydia stored blobs to IPSW.(or could do local if you have
    them local).
    13. Click Back button-Click Pwned DFU to put in pwned DFU mode-follow onscreen instructions.
    16. Hold down Shift key, click Restore button. Browse to that stitched IPSW file
    you created.Select it.

I was also having same problem, and I had also followed above steps... but my iphone got factory reset... was there any thing i had missed

I had used redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.....
    Last edited by haidarali; 11-14-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks

Well those instructions were not written for 15b3....they were for 14b2...not sure what the differences are between the 2...sorry.. I haven't used 15b3

13. The Following User Says Thank You to xboxbml For This Useful Post:

nsnobel2 (12-23-2012)

2k1
    Thanks

Shouldn't changed anything i would think

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dear, I had also faced same prob but I had overcome from this follow below steps

1) Create custome file using sn0wbreeze-v2.9.7 from orignal ipsw file
    2) Take ipsw file created through snowbreez and stitch shsh file using redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3
    3) You will get final file after stitching shsh.....
    4) before you restore assurre that your phone is in pwned DFU mode (not normal DFU mode)
    5) open itune and shift + restore, it will be done (tinyumbrella is not required )

This should work

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

6. Click Extras button.
    them local).
    you created.Select it.
    xboxbml

Many many thanks to your for your perfect and smooth tutorial. I have no words to say thanks to you. I update it from 4.1 to 5.1.1 successfully.
    Now my phone is on activation screen. Is there any way to bypass this step as I don't know about its country and carrier?
    I also have one more question that can we downgrade Iphone 4/4S with this tutorial without having SHSH blobs?
    Please answer my all questions as they are very important to me.
    Once again many many thanks, you are the man.

Thanks

As far as downgrading anything without blobs, I do not believe that is possible..

As far as activation, I'm not sure.. Perhaps someone with more experience on that could help... I think u can hactivate with redsn0w, but I've never had to do that...or unlock...
    Last edited by xboxbml; 12-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to xboxbml For This Useful Post:

nsnobel2 (12-24-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I confirm that after jailbreak and install cydia phone goes to main menu screen without any original carrier sim.
    thanks
    br

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default It worked
    Thanks haidarali and xboxbml, my phone is up and running again.
    wish it could be an untethered jailbreak.

Anyways Thanks a lot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi i tried those steps but after the restore my iphone was stucked to DFU mode. and now it wont turn on nor charge HELP

Thanks

Sounds like u have hardware problem...try cleaning dock connector