Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 being replaced...which o/s?

Default iPhone 4 being replaced...which o/s?
    Hi,

So basically I've had an iPhone 4 with the proximity sensor problem for ages now, and I have finally decided to return it.

I have tried everything to fix it (as have apple in-store) but I need to buy a replacement (or get my phone company to replace it as I'm still on a contract).

So my question is- will my replacement (maybe refurbished?) iPhone 4 come with iOS 6? I cannot enjoy my iPhone unless it's jailbroken ,

As far as I understand, if no SHSH blobs have been saved, then I cannot roll back to iOS 5?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ju08 View Post
    Hi,

So basically I've had an iPhone 4 with the proximity sensor problem for ages now, and I have finally decided to return it.

I have tried everything to fix it (as have apple in-store) but I need to buy a replacement (or get my phone company to replace it as I'm still on a contract).

So my question is- will my replacement (maybe refurbished?) iPhone 4 come with iOS 6? I cannot enjoy my iPhone unless it's jailbroken ,

As far as I understand, if no SHSH blobs have been saved, then I cannot roll back to iOS 5?

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Assuming you get an out-of-warranty replacement from Apple (instead of buying a new phone full freight), your device will almost assuredly be refurbished. Your carrier, odds are high you'll get a refurbished unit, but it's not nearly as high as obtaining a refurbished unit from Apple. What will determine what OS will be on your phone is its refurbished date, as determined by the phone's serial number. Anything with an eleven-character serial number that starts lower than xx238 (e.g., 5K236) will have nothing higher than iOS 5.1.1. Anything between xx238 and xx240 may have either 5.1.1 or 6.0 Anything higher than xx240 probably will come with iOS 6.0. Twelve-digit serial number devices (the iPhone 4 doesn't normally follow this pattern): you're looking for: lower than xxxJF for clear: xxxJF to xxxJH for likely to have 5.1.1 but not guaranteed, and xxxJJ or xxxJK are probably going to be 6.0.

If you get a phone with iOS 5.1.1, you can use redsn0w to save your SHSH blobs already on your device and submit them to Cydia so you can perpetually restore to iOS 5.1.1 (and thus keep your jailbreak). Good luck!

Orby, thanks so much for all that very useful information!!

So basically, I should tell my provider that I only want an iPhone with a serial:

That starts lower than xx238
    Or is 12 digits, ending lower than xxxJF to xxxJH

What do you suggest as a legitimate excuse for this request? That I want to keep google maps?

If I do get a newer one, is there no way for me to go to a store and get them to do something special to downgrade it?

And what if I am offered the 4S instead (but on iOS 6). In your opinion, is it worth getting the 4S on iOS 6 and waiting for the JB, than keeping a 4 that can be JB?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ju08 View Post
    Orby, thanks so much for all that very useful information!!

So basically, I should tell my provider that I only want an iPhone with a serial:

That starts lower than xx238
    Or is 12 digits, ending lower than xxxJF to xxxJH

What do you suggest as a legitimate excuse for this request? That I want to keep google maps?

If I do get a newer one, is there no way for me to go to a store and get them to do something special to downgrade it?

And what if I am offered the 4S instead (but on iOS 6). In your opinion, is it worth getting the 4S on iOS 6 and waiting for the JB, than keeping a 4 that can be JB?
    Google Maps is a perfectly plausible explanation, IMO. If you try it at the Apple Store proper, expect a good deal of pushback and salesmanship ("Apple's maps in iOS 6 are great! You'll never look back! Google's available as a web app, etc.) but be adamant and I bet they'll be somewhat receptive.

With the iPhone 4 (GSM), that device traditionally uses the eleven-digit serial system, so start there and go to the newer serial system if they look at you quizzically.

In my opinion, I am not that reliant on any jailbreak-only features, so if you do end up with a 4S with iOS 6 on it as your only option, it's not a bad trade IMO. If you use jailbreak-only software heavily (biteSMS, Winterboard, ISX, etc.), then that should influence your decision proportionally. Same for 4 versus 4S on 6.0: one has a permanent tethered-jailbreak option and will probably get untethered jailbreaks sooner (the 4) while the other is a newer, more facile and capable device at the cost of uncertainty over future jailbreaks.

PS: I picked up a refurbed 4S today--serial was xxxJG (week 39 if my math is correct), and it came with iOS 6.0. Food for thought.
    Last edited by Orby; 10-18-2012 at 12:06 AM.