+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help me unlock and jailbreak my 3GS

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I just bought a 3GS from a friend and found out that he put a password on it and cant figure it out. I don't mind restoring the phone but
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help me unlock and jailbreak my 3GS
    I just bought a 3GS from a friend and found out that he put a password on it and cant figure it out. I don't mind restoring the phone but I want to at the very least unlock the phone so I can use it with a different carrier. Can anyone walk me through it? I've tried updating to 5.0 but get the 3194 error and cant fix it. I've tried using tinyumbrella and editing the hosts but still get the error. I really don't care what IOS I'm on as long as i can use it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,176 Times in 5,680 Posts

My suggestion is perhaps have it factory unlocked, so cheap now (as low as under $10.00) and never have to worry about chasing an unlock.
    If the phone is jailbroken, open Cydia app and at the top of that page it will tell what SHSH blobs have been saved, only if they have been could you update to a higher firmware. The 3194 error is a firmware error because Apple no longer is signing 5.0 or any firmware other then iOS6.

If openSSH has been installed on the phone and you could SSH into the file system, I believe you can still SSH into it and delete the file /Library/Keychains/keychain-2.db and reboot.
    It will delete ALL stored passwords including email, wifi, lockscreen, etc
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-10-2012 at 05:24 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't get into the phone because of the password so I have no way of knowing if it is jailbroken or not. Is there any way without taking it somewhere? Is there a custom iOS6 firmware that I can use and preserve my baseband? or can I use the new baseband.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,176 Times in 5,680 Posts

Then your options are limited, putting the phone in "recovery mode" then restoring in iTunes, then have it factory unlocked is your only option. Unfortunately you will be on iOS 6.0 and at this point there is no jailbreak but you will still be able to use the phone.