+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading from jailbroken 4.1 (iPhone 3Gs)?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
So I recently acquired my sister's jailbroken iPhone 3Gs and I want to upgrade the firmware (4.1 to 4.2.1). The carrier I'm with is Fido. I was looking through a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Upgrading from jailbroken 4.1 (iPhone 3Gs)?
    So I recently acquired my sister's jailbroken iPhone 3Gs and I want to upgrade the firmware (4.1 to 4.2.1). The carrier I'm with is Fido. I was looking through a few guides and it seems like there is a lot of room for error, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what to do specifically for my situation. I have experience doing this with the iPod touch, but with the iPhone they start talking about things like the baseband and stuff and I get confused.

Anyways, with what I have now, do I simply have to download the latest redsn0w and 4.2.1 firmware and then proceed to jailbreak/upgrade as normal, or is there something else I have to do so as not to screw anything up?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just found out that the phone is locked to Rogers, so I'll need to preserve the baseband when upgrading I guess (I'm new with this so I apologize if I'm misusing the lingo). Is there a way to upgrade while maintaining the baseband and the unlock so that I don't need someone else's SIM card to complete the process?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

If you have not saved any blob, then you can only restore to IOS 4.1 or IOS 6.0. Restoring to IOS 4.2.1 requires 4.2.1 blob saved. With all the above being said, in order to preserve baseband, you need to restore to Custom firmware of 4.1 or 4.2.1.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    If you have not saved any blob, then you can only restore to IOS 4.1 or IOS 6.0. Restoring to IOS 4.2.1 requires 4.2.1 blob saved. With all the above being said, in order to preserve baseband, you need to restore to Custom firmware of 4.1 or 4.2.1.
    I'm not sure I'm following, however I do know that I don't have any kind of blob. The device is already on a jailbroken (what makes it custom?) version 4.1, why would I need to restore it to another version of 4.1 if I want to upgrade to a 5 version?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Download tiny Umbrella, plug your iphone in. Under adv tab make sure request shsh blob from cydia is checked and click save shsh. If you see blobs under General tabs, those are the blobs required for firmwares restore.