+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with Untethered Jailbreaking & Unlocking iPhone 3GS New Bootrom

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and could use all the help I can get. Below I'll explain what I want to do and what device and firmware I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Help with Untethered Jailbreaking & Unlocking iPhone 3GS New Bootrom
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and could use all the help I can get. Below I'll explain what I want to do and what device and firmware I have.

What I have:

-Jailbroken and Unlocked iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.2.1 (done about a year ago).
    -iBoot-359.3.2 - (means it's the New Bootrom, right???)
    -SHSH (from top of Cydia homepage): iOS 4.1, 4.21r1, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1.1
    and I also have
    -Baseband 5.13.04. This is important, i'm told. I had the 06.15.00 BB but this July (2012) the Dev-Team released redsn0w 0.9.14b2 and an ability to change the BB. I did this and am happily using GPS services for the first time in 10 months.

What I'd like to do (so sorry for the long explanation!):
    Many apps are beginning to be incompatible with iOS 4.2.1. Examples are the new Facebook app updates, Google Chrome for iPhone, FindMyiPhone (iCould in general i think) and more. Some require iOS 4.3 and up and some 5.x and up. And it will only get worse for us iOS 4.2.1 users as time goes by...

So, I was wondering if there is any way to perform an Untethered Jailbreak/upgrade & Unlock to a newer iOS (preferably 5.x) with my iPhone, as i described it to you.

I found all sorts of conflicting information online. Some are saying it can't be done Untethered because of the iPad BB (which i don't have anymore!) and some don't say why. Some say it can be done with Absinthe as opposed to redsn0w but others warn Absinthe will indeed Jailbreak Untethered but that it won't let me unlock (again because of the BB which i now DON'T have??). I've also been told Absinthe is not very stable.

Bottom line, as of now, can unethered JB and Unlock be done on my phone to a newer iOS given my Baseband change (or any new updates of JB software I am unaware of...)?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this! If you have the time I would also appreciate a link that can explain backing up my iPhone before doing any of this (I'm really ignorant when it comes to this aspect)...

Thanks in advance!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

-iBoot-359.3.2 - (means it's the New Bootrom, right???) ---------- yes, its the New bootrom. download iDetector and you can verify it.

So, I was wondering if there is any way to perform an Untethered Jailbreak/upgrade & Unlock to a newer iOS (preferably 5.x) with my iPhone, as i described it to you. --------------- Yes to all of the above.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to russ35 For This Useful Post:

mightyduck (10-12-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can built your own IPSW in 5.1.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.14b2 without changing you BB, if you want to change your BB to put the 05.13 tu stay unlocked, you can by checking Downgrade ipad BB...

With this, you will be unthetered and retreive first 3GS BB...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@mightyduck :

Fetch your shsh blob from cydia using iSHSHit or TinyUmbrella and save it locally. if you want to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, download the 5.1.1 ipsw.

1.0 cook a custom firmware NO BB 5.1.1 using redsnow 0.9.14b2, then stitch the shsh blob to the custom firmware(NO BB)
    2.0 put the 3gs in pwned dfu and perform the restore using the stitched custom 5.1.1 in itunes.
    3.0 use redsnow 0.9.14b2 to jailbreak device and then unlock using Ultrasnow 1.2.7.

the resulting firmwares will be iOS 5.1.1 with baseban 05.13.04

6. The Following User Says Thank You to russ35 For This Useful Post:

mightyduck (10-12-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Christ6197 and Russ35 for the replies but I didn't understand completely.

Christ6197 - First I make a custom 5.1.1 IPSW, what do I do then? Will I still be able to keep it unlocked and use GPS?

and russ35 - any recommendations on how to do it if you say it's not a problem?

thank you!
    Last edited by mightyduck; 10-08-2012 at 08:01 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
    Thanks Christ6197 and Russ35 for the replies but I didn't understand completely.

Christ6197 - First I make a custom 5.1.1 IPSW, what do I do then? Will I still be able to keep it unlocked and use GPS?

and russ35 - any recommendations on how to do it if you say it's not a problem?

thank you!
    I did replied already earlier about how to do it but it is pending prior to moderator's approval.

Quote Originally Posted by russ35 View Post
    I did replied already earlier about how to do it but it is pending prior to moderator's approval.
    ill try again.

1.0 use redsnow 0.9.14b2 and cook a custom firmware (No BB 5.1.1), then stitch the shsh blob to the No BB firmware again using redsnow.
    2.0 Put device in pwned dfu, do a restore using itunes
    3.0 run redsnow 0.9.14b2 again and jailbreak. use Ultrasnow 1.2.7 to unlock. resulting firmwares are iOS 5.1.1 and baseband 05.14.03
    Last edited by russ35; 10-08-2012 at 08:07 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to russ35 For This Useful Post:

mightyduck (10-08-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey and thanks again! I'm worried though. A lot of forums are saying that redsn0w can only perform a Tethered jailbreak on new bootrom 3gs iPhones. Are they just not updated?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default error 21
    I did everything you said. now i'm getting error 21 when trying to restore. the device is in pwnd dfu mode (i followed the redsnow instructions..)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did everything you said. now i'm getting error 21 when trying to restore. the device is in pwnd dfu mode (i followed the redsnow instructions..)
    here is an article on how to fix error 21 on itunes.

Fix iTunes Error 21 when restore Custom IPSW iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad [How To] - Jailbreak iOS 6, 5.1.1 Untethered Absinthe

What does iTunes error 21 mean ?
    When you found iTunes error 21, it means that you are attempting to restore custom ipsw in the recovery mode.

How to Fix iTunes error 21 ?
    To fix iTunes error 21 on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G or iPad you have to restore to custom ipsw when your device in the DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade).

Steps to put your device in DFU mode to Fix iTunes error 21:
    Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your Mac/PC and press power button for few seconds. You will be asked to slide to power off. Slick it to power off your iPhone.
    Step 2: Now Press and hold Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
    Step 3: After 10 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button but keep holding the home button until iTunes pops up with a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
    Step 4: Once you are in DFU mode you won't see anything on you screen. It will be BLACK.

Now you have fixed iTunes error 21, go now and restore to custom ipsw firmware without errors

additional articles/info :
    http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/11/redsn...windows-users/
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/redsn0w/
    Last edited by russ35; 10-08-2012 at 04:32 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to russ35 For This Useful Post:

mightyduck (10-12-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question nope
    I was in pwned dfu mode not in recovery mode.
    maybe it was wrong to stitch the blobs to the custom ipsw instead of to the stock (and only after stitching, creating custom)?
    I wanted to remake the custom firmware but now Redsn0w is giving me trouble when doing that ("General Error" or "Memory Exhausted").

Can Sn0wbreeze help?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up solved
    Hi russ35,

In the end I copied redsn0w to a different folder (on my desktop) with the IPSW and followed your instructions and it worked perfectly! I guess something was wrong with the first custom IPSW I created and then redsn0w just wouldn't let me make another ("general error"). But after I copied redsn0w and the stock IPSW to the desktop and started from the beginning it all worked without any problems and I had (have ) an untethered, iOS 5.1.1 unlocked 3GS and all of the functions are working perfectly (GPS still works too since I do not have the ipad baseband).

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by mightyduck; 10-12-2012 at 01:55 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi russ35,

In the end I copied redsn0w to a different folder (on my desktop) with the IPSW and followed your instructions and it worked perfectly! I guess something was wrong with the first custom IPSW I created and then redsn0w just wouldn't let me make another ("general error"). But after I copied redsn0w and the stock IPSW to the desktop and started from the beginning it all worked without any problems and I had (have ) an untethered, iOS 5.1.1 unlocked 3GS and all of the functions are working perfectly (GPS still works too since I do not have the ipad baseband).

THANK YOU!
    You are welcome mightyduck !! Im glad to be of help and return some insights I learned from this forum.

Thanks

I have tried the steps three times, but each time I have got errors like: 21 and so on. I do not know what I did wrong but I still can't update my firmware 4.1 to 5.11 with bb 5.13.04 iPhone 3GS already jailbreak.
    Please help me to update my firmware.
    Thank you in advance.

Thanks

Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and could use all the help I can get. Below I'll explain what I want to do and what device and firmware I have.

What I have:

-Jailbroken and Unlocked iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.2.1 (done about a year ago).
    -iBoot-359.3.2 - (means it's the New Bootrom, right???)
    -SHSH (from top of Cydia homepage): iOS 4.1, 4.21r1, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1.1
    and I also have
    -Baseband 5.13.04. This is important, i'm told. I had the 06.15.00 BB but this July (2012) the Dev-Team released redsn0w 0.9.14b2 and an ability to change the BB. I did this and am happily using GPS services for the first time in 10 months.

What I'd like to do (so sorry for the long explanation!):
    Many apps are beginning to be incompatible with iOS 4.2.1. Examples are the new Facebook app updates, Google Chrome for iPhone, FindMyiPhone (iCould in general i think) and more. Some require iOS 4.3 and up and some 5.x and up. And it will only get worse for us iOS 4.2.1 users as time goes by...

So, I was wondering if there is any way to perform an Untethered Jailbreak/upgrade & Unlock to a newer iOS (preferably 5.x) with my iPhone, as i described it to you.

I found all sorts of conflicting information online. Some are saying it can't be done Untethered because of the iPad BB (which i don't have anymore!) and some don't say why. Some say it can be done with Absinthe as opposed to redsn0w but others warn Absinthe will indeed Jailbreak Untethered but that it won't let me unlock (again because of the BB which i now DON'T have??). I've also been told Absinthe is not very stable.

Bottom line, as of now, can unethered JB and Unlock be done on my phone to a newer iOS given my Baseband change (or any new updates of JB software I am unaware of...)?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this! If you have the time I would also appreciate a link that can explain backing up my iPhone before doing any of this (I'm really ignorant when it comes to this aspect)...

Thanks in advance!
    Up
    Update to 5.1.1 with redsnow

LinkBacks (?)