+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gonn start to cry: Can't get iPhone out of recovery mode

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I have an iPhone 4 that was on jail broken v5.1.1. The owner didn't want it jail broken anymore and tried to upgrade it to v6.0. They tried to update
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Gonn start to cry: Can't get iPhone out of recovery mode
    I have an iPhone 4 that was on jail broken v5.1.1. The owner didn't want it jail broken anymore and tried to upgrade it to v6.0. They tried to update it in iTunes which requested it be upgraded to the most recent version. After updating iTunes, halfway through upgrading to v6.0, it stopped and said that the phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored. If I try to restore I get error 3194 and nothing I do fixes it. I have tried to get it out of recovery mode using redsn0w, TinyUmbrella, iFaith, iReb and tried everything I could find online and nothing works. This has been the six most aggravating hours of my life. Can anyone help me? Please?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

Have you tried putting the phone in DFU mode?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes, I can get it into DFU mode but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks

You've tried everything I can think of. Maybe try another USB port, USB cable, another computer. Hopefully someone else will post up with a suggestion.

Error 3194

Occurs when trying to install an old firmware and Apple's server disallows the installation. The only solution is to have SHSH backup and modify the hosts file to point to Saurik's Cydia Server where they are backed up (or localhost if you have it yourself).
    SO perhaps download 6.0 firmware and hold shift and then click restore in iTunes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Open TinyUmbrella, go to Advanced tab, uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit.

Try the restore again. In iTunes, do not click update. Click "restore" and it will restore and update to iOS 6.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    You've tried everything I can think of. Maybe try another USB port, USB cable, another computer. Hopefully someone else will post up with a suggestion.

Error 3194

Occurs when trying to install an old firmware and Apple's server disallows the installation. The only solution is to have SHSH backup and modify the hosts file to point to Saurik's Cydia Server where they are backed up (or localhost if you have it yourself).
    SO perhaps download 6.0 firmware and hold shift and then click restore in iTunes.

I think I thought of that at the same time you did. I'll let you know if that works when the file downloads in a hour.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Open TinyUmbrella, go to Advanced tab, uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit.

Try the restore again. In iTunes, do not click update. Click "restore" and it will restore and update to iOS 6.
    Here is what TinyUmbrella looks like to me:
    Gonn start to cry: Can't get iPhone out of recovery mode-tiny.jpg

Thanks

Have you ever manually changed your host files. 3194 is the definitive error for attempting a restore/upgrade with the host files pointing to Cydia or elsewhere rather than Apple.

Edit: If the above does not apply, I would suggest trying on another machine to isolate the issue.

Thanks

Looking at the screen shot he has Cydia ticked, needs to be unticked like Annie said.

Thanks

Well it's looking like the box to point to cydia on exit is greyed out. I had that as well the other day, still haven't figured out why it isn't available right now.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-29-2012 at 10:44 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Have you ever manually changed your host files. 3194 is the definitive error for attempting a restore/upgrade with the host files pointing to Cydia or elsewhere rather than Apple.

Edit: If the above does not apply, I would suggest trying on another machine to isolate the issue.
    There were a couple lines pointing to gs.apple.com in there already. I added 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com based on a post regarding the 3194 error but that didn't let me restore either. Now I'm not sure what is actually supposed to be in the host file.

Thanks

Ok, got my glasses om now, lol oops

Thanks

Have you ever modded the host file prior to doing so right now?

Edit: Adding the extra line is pointing it to Cydia. If the host file has been edited prior to this incident, those extra lines need to be removed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Have you ever modded the host file prior to doing so right now?

Edit: Adding the extra line is pointing it to Cydia. If the host file has been edited prior to this incident, those extra lines need to be removed.
    I haven't done it manually before. They could have been added by Absinthe, I guess, when I first jail broke the phone. I downloaded the ipsw for v6 and commented out all the gs.apple.com lines in the hosts file. I pointed iTunes to that file and it finally started the restore process. I'm at the Apple logo with the status bar but it has been sitting at about 25% for the last half hour.

Thanks

You might try unplugging the USB quickly see if that will kick start it, or keep on trying. SO sorry your having such an issue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It looked promising but still having problems. I unplugged it and plugged it back in but iTunes just gave an error. I tried the restore again and iTunes gives a 1618 error and TinyUmbrella shows the iPhone in DFU mode and I can't get it out of that now.

Thanks

Do a hard reboot to get out of DFU mode, (hold power and sleep buttons down together till it boots)

Error 1618

Missing system files or corrupt data in iTunes installation. Try to uninstall iTunes, restart computer, install again. This error also occurs for iTunes in Windows 8 for reasons currently unknown.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Doing a hard reboot only brings it back into DFU mode. Putting it in pwnd DFU mode lets me run the restore in iTunes but it always stops at 25% even after leaving it overnight. I will try reinstalling iTunes and downloading the update again but I'm thinking about just going to Apple and seeing if they can fix it at this point.

Thanks

I agree with Bo, completely uninstall iTunes and reinstall it since you got a diff error this time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try to put your iPhone in DFU mode and then restore it.
    You can try these steps below:
    1. Try another USB cord.
    2. Restart your computer for a try.
    3. Hold the power button, it might restart your iPhone.
    4. Update your iTunes to the latest version. Plug in your iPhone.
    If iTunes can't recognize it, then in iTunes in the top left corner click help > run diagnostics.
    On the box that comes up, check the last two things. Click next and it should identify your iPhone and then restore it.
    More reviews: How to get iPhone out of recovery mode
    Last edited by jackbella; 03-16-2013 at 11:20 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

To get an iPhone out of recovery mode, all I know is to hold the power button for 2 seconds, continue holding the power button but also hold down the home screen button for another 10 seconds, then let go of the power button but continue holding down the home button for another 15 seconds. Ensure you count the seconds correctly.