+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Looking for advice. 4S Jailbroke on 5.1.1 not able to Reset Settings

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
A good friend of mine purchased a iPhone 5 and he sold me his old 4S that is Jailbroke on 5.1.1. I currently have a 4 also JB on 5.1.1.
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Looking for advice. 4S Jailbroke on 5.1.1 not able to Reset Settings
    A good friend of mine purchased a iPhone 5 and he sold me his old 4S that is Jailbroke on 5.1.1. I currently have a 4 also JB on 5.1.1. I want to start with a clean slate with his and then JB again. We all know there is no 6.0 JB out yet so I have tried all options with the 4S. The Reset All in Settings just sits there with the little spinning wheel like it's doing something forever. The most I let it try to to reset was 45 minutes.

So we tried another method: he had an old back up in iTunes that we used to restore. It worked. All his media and emails/text were gone. It still was JB and had most if not all of his packages still. So I continued to set it up as my phone now attempting doing a backup with PKGBackup which didn't work so well (which is a whole other issue). I ended up just manually installing all the packages I had on my 4 and reconfiguring it to match the setup I had on that 4. I should also add I am running StraightTalk as my provider so there are settings that I will also need to get my Data/MMS to work on the iPhone. All was well and I went to bed for the evening and when I woke up this morning I received a text (on WiFi) from a friend and it came through on my old 4 (No SIM installed) and I got nothing on my new 4S that was working fine before bed. So I tried a reboot and when it came back all my apps were thrown all over not organized in folders like I had them and Cydia wouldn't open. Also it no longer had any of the packages I installed that he didn't have on the phone originally. So I resprung the Springboard and now Cydia works but everything is still out of order.

I should also add I have tried restoring using the Shift+Restore (Windows) method in iTunes with a factory 5.1.1 ISPW but I am met with the usual error (sorry, can't remember what it was). I have NEVER in my 4 years of iPhones been able to restore to a old ISPW with a previously JB iPhone so I only tried a few times and gave up.

Advice please. Anyone here of iSO6 Jailbreak Untethered coming soon?

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjlmbklr View Post
    A good friend of mine purchased a iPhone 5 and he sold me his old 4S that is Jailbroke on 5.1.1. I currently have a 4 also JB on 5.1.1. I want to start with a clean slate with his and then JB again. We all know there is no 6.0 JB out yet so I have tried all options with the 4S. The Reset All in Settings just sits there with the little spinning wheel like it's doing something forever. The most I let it try to to reset was 45 minutes.

So we tried another method: he had an old back up in iTunes that we used to restore. It worked. All his media and emails/text were gone. It still was JB and had most if not all of his packages still. So I continued to set it up as my phone now attempting doing a backup with PKGBackup which didn't work so well (which is a whole other issue). I ended up just manually installing all the packages I had on my 4 and reconfiguring it to match the setup I had on that 4. I should also add I am running StraightTalk as my provider so there are settings that I will also need to get my Data/MMS to work on the iPhone. All was well and I went to bed for the evening and when I woke up this morning I received a text (on WiFi) from a friend and it came through on my old 4 (No SIM installed) and I got nothing on my new 4S that was working fine before bed. So I tried a reboot and when it came back all my apps were thrown all over not organized in folders like I had them and Cydia wouldn't open. Also it no longer had any of the packages I installed that he didn't have on the phone originally. So I resprung the Springboard and now Cydia works but everything is still out of order.

I should also add I have tried restoring using the Shift+Restore (Windows) method in iTunes with a factory 5.1.1 ISPW but I am met with the usual error (sorry, can't remember what it was). I have NEVER in my 4 years of iPhones been able to restore to a old ISPW with a previously JB iPhone so I only tried a few times and gave up.

Advice please. Anyone here of iSO6 Jailbreak Untethered coming soon?
    you're going to have to update to iOS 6 to have a functional iphone 4S, or leave it the way it is, and wait for a jailbreak, which no one really knows when that will be released for iOS 6

some speculate xmas, but no one is really sure

you cant restore back to 5.1.1 AT THE MOMENT, until redsn0w updates, which will fix this issue, which is why you were receiving those errors when you tried restoring

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Did you stitch an ipsw using saved SHSH for the 4S and use that to restore with?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,626 Times in 5,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goofball2k View Post
    Did you stitch an ipsw using saved SHSH for the 4S and use that to restore with?
    Doesn't work for A4 device.

EVO
    Thanks

read my post for more information on A5X devices:

4s currently on 5.0 jb do I need to be at 5.1.1 ?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goofball2k View Post
    Yes, I tried that. The process failed but I am not 100% certain I did correctly. I followed THESE instruction but notced he said it wasn't for the iPhone. SO that may have something to do with it.

EVO
    Thanks

if you did it properly or not is irrelevant for the iphone 4s, you CANT restore back to 5.1.1 currently right now

you need to wait until redsn0w updates its version