+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 wont exit recovery mode

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi everyone, So a friend brought me his iPhone 4 that is in recovery mode I thought it was going to be easy but it will not exit recovery mode.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 wont exit recovery mode
    Hi everyone,

So a friend brought me his iPhone 4 that is in recovery mode I thought it was going to be easy but it will not exit recovery mode.

Its a iPhone 4 GSM I believe its on 4.0 or 4.0.1 not sure on the firmware that it is on. After trying the exit recovery from TinyUmbrella the apple boot image comes up with the green pixels up at the top then it restarts in to recovery mode/ screen. I Think it was jailbroken using JailbreakMe.com

I have tried TinyUmbrella, RecBoot, RedSn0w, and DFU Fix Recovery but nothing seems to work. it just tries to start and then it goes back to the connect to iTunes. I have tried everything in both Windows and OSX

He doesn't what to restore it since he needs some info that he has saved on the phone.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

EVO
    Thanks

are you able to put the phone in safe?

power the phone on and immediately hold the volume up button and see if it will boot to the lockscreen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    are you able to put the phone in safe?

power the phone on and immediately hold the volume up button and see if it will boot to the lockscreen
    nope wont let me go in.

once it starts it just goes in to the recovery mode. if i turn it off and then turn it back on and press the volume up it will still go to recovery.

any other suggestions other than restore?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

You should do a restore to see if this is a working iphone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, I had a similar situation when I was back on 4.1 To save my data, I made a no-erase-ipsw and did a shift restore with iTunes. Once back on, I did a right click backup to iTunes and then a fresh restore from the just made backup.
    Here is a link to the instructions for this. It's on post #18
    iphone 4 - stuck in infinite boot loop - Page 2
    Last edited by DC_Dave; 09-24-2012 at 05:56 AM.

EVO
    Thanks

yup unfortunately a restore is the only viable way to probably remedy your situation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Hi, I had a similar situation when I was back on 4.1 To save my data, I made a no-erase-ipsw and did a shift restore with iTunes. Once back on, I did a right click backup to iTunes and then a fresh restore from the just made backup.
    Here is a link to the instructions for this. It's on post #18
    iphone 4 - stuck in infinite boot loop - Page 2
    So this would get me out of the loop and keep all the data that is on the iphone? the other thing is im not sure if the FW is 4.0 or 4.0.1.

like i said b4 the colored pixels at the top of the boot screen so im assuming it the 4.0 which I think is the one that used JailbreakMe.com Right?

Thanks

Hi, the no-erase-ipsw trick has worked for me. It really depends how bad your crash is and whether you know which iOS you are on. Anyway it's a last chance to try and recovery your data if you havent got a backup before you try a normal restore.
    Last edited by DC_Dave; 09-25-2012 at 04:40 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

When using redsn0w to come out of recovery, does it do anything on the device that you can see? It should take about 5-10 minutes to do what it needs to do in order to reboot. Does it get past certain screens, like exploiting with limera1n, or uploading ramdisk, or anything?

Thanks

Hi, the RecoveryFix in Redsnow will require you to enter DFU mode at some point. I would first check if you can indeed get your phone into DFU mode first! From Redsnow's first menu screen if you are in DFU mode, it will confirm this for you. If you can't, then you will have to restore!
    You might like to add to your list of tried utilities iPhoneRecoveryFix.exe, you never know.
    If at any point you can get an Apple logo, you may find iFunbox might get you into your file system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goofball2k View Post
    When using redsn0w to come out of recovery, does it do anything on the device that you can see? It should take about 5-10 minutes to do what it needs to do in order to reboot. Does it get past certain screens, like exploiting with limera1n, or uploading ramdisk, or anything?
    I have tried a couple of different things i used the redsn0w recovery fix but it did not seem to work. i used teh TinyUmbrella Fix recovery and it gets stuck in the greenpois0n screen saying "unable to find gBdevlList, fs_mount, gs_unmount, fs_load_file" then the greenpois0n initialized.
    pic i found online this is were its stuck for a while. i just did it again and am going to let it sit for a while to see what it does.
    iPhone 4 wont exit recovery mode-greenpois0n-initialization-error.jpg

after being there for 17 minutes it just reboots back to the recovery screen.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Hi, the RecoveryFix in Redsnow will require you to enter DFU mode at some point. I would first check if you can indeed get your phone into DFU mode first! From Redsnow's first menu screen if you are in DFU mode, it will confirm this for you. If you can't, then you will have to restore!
    You might like to add to your list of tried utilities iPhoneRecoveryFix.exe, you never know.
    If at any point you can get an Apple logo, you may find iFunbox might get you into your file system.
    I went through the steps above in your post but I keep getting the error 6 in itunes. have tried all post on my pc and moved on the a macbook. same thing.

as for dfu I do have it in dfu and pwn it with redsn0w in osx and windows. redsn0w confirms dfu when i start it up at the beginning at the bottom.

If i cant get it to run tonight im just going to restore back to 4.0.1 since I think the BB is still the one that ultrasn0w uses.

thanks for all the responses.

Edit:
    So cydia has 4.0.1 shsh files and since the green pixels were at the top at boot the firmware should be 4.0.1 it was confirmed by my friend. I also used limera1n to jailbreak it again but it did not do anything it still was stuck in the recovery screen.
    Last edited by KoolMan0; 10-01-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks

Hi, you could try turning off your firewall before restoring or use a custom no baseband ipsw

Thanks
    I'm having a similar problem right now. Oh..please help.
    I was trying to restore iP4 to stock 5.1.1 after a botched jailbreak attempt. Cydia was white and would not open. Plus mail and safari would not open past a blank screen.
    So after errors and research, I stitched up a 5.1.1 firmware and had a nice progress bar on phone. THen f!! vista crashed about halfway through. Now, phone is stuck in recovery, itunes screen. Here seems to be my major problem. Redsn0w cannot fix the recovery error. Redsnow asks to turn phone off and plug. As soon as it turns off, and turns back on, it immediately goes to itunes screen. I cannot get it into DFU. Tiny umbrella tries to exit recovery, and that just boots back up to same thing. I'm at a loss. I don't want to try and restore to 6. (at least i'd rather not).
    I don't know how to use tiny umbrella recovery fix. I d/l them, they say 421 and 43. They wont run. Fix is greyed out tiny umbrella. Tried latest versions of everything. Have been up and down with firmware and error over the past year, but never stuck like this. Any help? please?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gd420mj View Post
    I'm having a similar problem right now. Oh..please help.
    I was trying to restore iP4 to stock 5.1.1 after a botched jailbreak attempt. Cydia was white and would not open. Plus mail and safari would not open past a blank screen.
    So after errors and research, I stitched up a 5.1.1 firmware and had a nice progress bar on phone. THen f!! vista crashed about halfway through. Now, phone is stuck in recovery, itunes screen. Here seems to be my major problem. Redsn0w cannot fix the recovery error. Redsnow asks to turn phone off and plug. As soon as it turns off, and turns back on, it immediately goes to itunes screen. I cannot get it into DFU. Tiny umbrella tries to exit recovery, and that just boots back up to same thing. I'm at a loss. I don't want to try and restore to 6. (at least i'd rather not).
    I don't know how to use tiny umbrella recovery fix. I d/l them, they say 421 and 43. They wont run. Fix is greyed out tiny umbrella. Tried latest versions of everything. Have been up and down with firmware and error over the past year, but never stuck like this. Any help? please?
    When you boot your phone up, continue to do the steps required to get into DFU mode. Ignore that the iTunes USB connection screen is showing. You will end up in pwned mode if you do it properly from the start, regardless of what is on the phone screen.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to goofball2k For This Useful Post:

gd420mj (10-02-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goofball2k View Post
    When you boot your phone up, continue to do the steps required to get into DFU mode. Ignore that the iTunes USB connection screen is showing. You will end up in pwned mode if you do it properly from the start, regardless of what is on the phone screen.
    Well, when I try this with redsnow, is throws the error, "you messed up you stupid fool, go read google...", so red snow will not get into DFU. I do the redstone steps to the t, but it seems phone is ignoring me turning it on, since it is coming on by itself anyway. I tried without redsnow, and when I though it was dfu, i plug it in and it turns on from being off.
    okok, scratch that last one. I tried with phone connected and redsn0w closed, and when I opened redsnow, it said ip4 dfu mode. I thought that was a plus. So i just left redsnow open, and tried a restore. got stuck on preparing iphone. this is all happening as I type this. So then I said, wait, let me pwn it with redsnow. I had not tried that. Manual dfu , then enter pwned dfu mode. well, that worked. exploited with limerain, ok. Now, right now, I have a progress bar in the phone. Great. not a brick.... its loading so I will write back with results. pending itunes errors
    thanks goofball

oooh, the dreaded (-1) error and a fresh new restore screen. time to try again i suppose. maybe restart this vista crap

so a few tries later.still -1. tried non stitched and 3194. expected.
    Did something strange though. Its now booting post jogging pineapple. er, booted to ios 511.
    So, i started tiny umbrella and fix recovery was allowed. Clicked that and phone rebooted to restore. Then I clicked exit recovery. just rebooted to recov. Then opened redsnow and was doing the normal manual dfu but when I got to dfu, redsnow just picked it up, and ran like a pineapple.
    Thanks for the insight. Phone is cydia works, but dang it, no service. umm...its stock att btw. another restore try?
    Last edited by gd420mj; 10-02-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    tried again, with and without TU server running. Each time using a redsnow stitched 511 with shsh blubs. Still get -1. Then I just try to jailbreak it, and that works, but I get no service. Something is screwy. I have never had this issue with no service. It always just shows up. any ideas, or do i need to move to a new topic since I am no longer stuck in recovery mode.

Thanks again. goof

edit: After -1 error. Used redsn0w to fix recovery. entered dfu manually then redsn0w fixed recovery. Phone booted to 511 stock. A few minuted later, ATT service restored and all is working well. (A few tense hours there)
    Last edited by gd420mj; 10-03-2012 at 08:38 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up exiit iPhone recovery mode
    Don't worry, just follow these steps to [fix iPhone stuck in recovery mode
    Step 1: Fix the Problem with [url=http://recovery-transfer.com/about/iPhone-iPad-iPod-Recovery.html][b]iPhone Data Recovery
    Step 2: Recover Data from your iPhone Directly
    Step 3: Recover Lost Data from iTunes Backup
    I hope that will surely
    Thank you...

mod edit, links removed
    Last edited by blkcadi; 05-13-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spammy links