Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone4S upgrade to 6.0 then back to 5.1.1?

Default iPhone4S upgrade to 6.0 then back to 5.1.1?
    Is it still possible to restore to 5.1.1 using redsn0w's restore w/ blobs after upgrading to 6.0? Can we still use this method?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Yes you can.

Sure?
    I saw this post and seem its not possible...

The iPhone Dev-Team has posted following the release of iOS 6 to detail which devices can be downgraded from iOS 6.x to iOS 5.x and which devices can be re-restored.

A few months back we released a redsn0w feature that lets you downgrade A5+ devices from 5.1.1 to anything lower (if you had saved blobs). Unfortunately once the 5.1.1 window closes, *redsn0w's 5.x downgrade feature will no longer work.* Most A5 users will not be able to downgrade. So if you're an A5+ owner up at 6.0 when the 5.1.1 window closes, you'll be stuck there without a jailbreak for now.

We're happy to report there are some serious deficiencies in the 5.x restore process that are permanently exploitable. They'll never be fixable by Apple because they're all self-contained in the 5.x IPSWs.

Here's the breakdown:
    ● A4 devices and 3GS will always be downgradable (and jailbreakable) due to limera1n. The tethered iOS6 jailbreak for those devices (and untethered for old-bootrom 3GS) will be out when Cydia and other important pieces are all working properly
    ● iPad2 owners who have both 4.x blobs and 5.x blobs will always be able to downgrade to those versions, even once you come up to 6.0 and the 5.1.1 window closes (don't do that yet though!). You need both 4.x and 5.x blobs to qualify for the downgrade even if you only wish to downgrade to 5.x
    ● iPad3, i4S (and iPad2 owners who don't satisfy #2) will always be able to RE-restore the current 5.x OS that's already on their device. So if you're at 5.1.1 when the window closes (and you've saved your blobs), you'll always be able to RE-restore to 5.1.1 again. This makes the 5.1.1 jailbreak a lot less fragile - you don't have to worry about messing up your install with funky extensions or getting into a boot loop, because you can always RE-restore from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 again (or from 5.0.1 to 5.0.1 again, etc). But once you fall off the 5.x train by restoring to 6.x, you'll be stuck there until the next jailbreak.

Notably, re-restores and iPad 2 downgrades will leave you with the latest baseband so don't do this if you need an unlock.

The iPhone Dev-Team will release these new features in an update to RedSn0w that is coming shortly. In the meanwhile please backup your iOS 5.1.1 SHSH Blobs using one of the tutorials below.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 6,216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by modmyphonetoo View Post
    Sure?
    Yes, until Apple stops signing 5.1.1, maybe a 2 week window if Apple stays true to past OS updates, but no one knows for sure.

Is there a way to update to 6.0 and preserve the baseband ?
    I have seen the Dev version of the RedSn0w but I don't think it offers new baseband preservation yet ?

Not interested in Jailbreaking only baseband preservation with 6.0
    iPhone 4 Unlocked on T-Mobile | Motorola Verizon Razr M on T-Mobile | iPhone 5 Confused

Thanks
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 6,216 Posts

Not 100% sure, I read their blog everyday and I have seen nothing about preserving the baseband.
    With official factory unlocks being available so cheap these days, that may be a route you want to take rather then chasing baseband preservation.

yeah already done so ... just wanted to keep the preserve bb, but i guess i just going to update O.o
    iPhone 4 Unlocked on T-Mobile | Motorola Verizon Razr M on T-Mobile | iPhone 5 Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Germanese View Post
    yeah already done so ... just wanted to keep the preserve bb, but i guess i just going to update O.o
    If you have a factory unlock, then what is the problem???

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

I kind of like my old baseband hahahaha Just used to the same routine to keep BB as low as possible every time there is an update.
    Just got my phone unlocked the other day after over 2 years of being imprisoned from AT&T and Gevey.

You never know what u need the old BB for later on ?
    Besides I opted out from IOS6 for now, seems like Maps Sucks and I don't get much added with 6 so far.
    Until things stop working with 5 i ma wait i guess.

Sorry,I confuse again.
    Did my 4s jailbroken 5.1.1 can upgrade to iOS 6.
    Did I can downgrade back from iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Yes you can. save ya Shsh and you will be good.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

kschong710 (09-21-2012)

Thank
    I already save iOS 5.1.1 shsh
    Tomorrow I will upgrade to iOS 6

Yes,my 4s now back to IOS5.1.1
    Last edited by kschong710; 09-21-2012 at 02:41 PM.

if you are on an 4s, you CANNOT downgrade from iOS 6 to 5.1.1 even if you have SHSH blobs...

the signing window for 5.1.1 is closed as of today so once you're on iOS 6 on an iphone 4s you are stuck there

however if you are on iOS 5.1.1 on a 4s, you can go back to iOS 5.1.1

I have an iPhone 4S GSM and upgraded to iOS6 as soon as the new firmware came out; after half a day I was able to perform the downgrade to 5.1.1 without any problem

Now I did some mess with Ac!d siri and I just want to restore from 5.1.1 to the same firmware; I have all my shsh saved and I tried using iTunes with the tinyumbrella server running. I got error 11....

Why was I able to perform a downgrade and now I have so much trouble for a simple restore?

Quote Originally Posted by jacoscar View Post
    I have an iPhone 4S GSM and upgraded to iOS6 as soon as the new firmware came out; after half a day I was able to perform the downgrade to 5.1.1 without any problem

Now I did some mess with Ac!d siri and I just want to restore from 5.1.1 to the same firmware; I have all my shsh saved and I tried using iTunes with the tinyumbrella server running. I got error 11....

Why was I able to perform a downgrade and now I have so much trouble for a simple restore?
    because today, apple "closed" the signing window for 5.1.1 which means if you updated to iOS 6 on an iphone 4s, you cannot downgrade back to 5.1.1, you are stuck on iOS 6 until a method can be found to downgrade A5x devices (i.e. iphone 4s)

But I'm not at 6.0, I already downgraded to 5.1.1

have you checked your hosts file to ensure it contains the hosts entry "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com"?

Yes, I also checked that tiny umbrella correctly adds/removes the # in front of it

I also created a ipsw with the shsh stitched

Emm....I successfull back from IOS 6.0 to IOS 5.1.1 fr my 4S and iPad 2 this morning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast