Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 with boot loop DURING restore

Default iPhone 4 with boot loop DURING restore
    Well, I got an iPhone 4 with a boot loop problem, and I thought I was able to fix it, but here I am beggin for help:

When it is plugged to the wall for charging, it would only show the emergency calls, but not go further.
    If I unplug the cable, no signs of life.
    When I plug to iTunes in DFU mode or recovery mode, it downloads immediately downloads the right firmware, verify with Apple, prepare for restore, and then it starts again verifying. When the 2nd verify starts, then the phone starts to boot loop on apple logo for 10s, then black for 5s, and after 5 minutes iTunes gives some error: sometimes 1600, 1611, 3194, and finally 1602.
    I tried to connect to another PC as well, using a direct USB original cable plugged on PC, but the phone gets in boot loop and therefore iTunes thinks there is an issue (last is 1602).
    Using recovery mode or PWNED DFU doesn't change.

Is there any way to check what's wrong in my phone?
    Any tool to check if it boots properly and files are in good order?
    Or to check if battery must be replaced (before actually spending 50$ to replace it..)?

I know nothing about the phone, just that I want to install the stock IOS 5.1.1 !!
    Thanks for any kind of tiny help!

the first place I suggest you start looking when dealing with 1600s errors is in your HOSTS FILE

the location is:
    C drive -> System32 -> drivers -> etc

open the hosts file with notepad(run it as an administrator) then check for a hosts entry with "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com", if its there delete it and save the file

Done already.. Having two iphones , one of them working fine, is there a way i could copy one firmware on the other?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

No there isn't. If the phone doesn't respond at all when not plugged in then you probably have a hardware issue. Probably either the battery or the logic board.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    No there isn't. If the phone doesn't respond at all when not plugged in then you probably have a hardware issue. Probably either the battery or the logic board.
    The phone is responding, it's going to DFU, PWNED DFU, recovery, emergency calls. Just not able to do a full boot.

Thanks

Ok, so what did this mean in your first post?

If I unplug the cable, no signs of life.
    And if you can reach the emergency call screen then the phone is booted. At that point you have to activate it.

When I unplug from the wall. But when iphone is plugged on the wall or on the Pc it does have same basic signs of life..

Thanks

Exactly. So something is wrong with your battery or logic board. It would still show signs of life when unplugged if it was fine.

Got some progress !!
    While making some trials, I got a white screen followed by a sentence greenp0ison..
    So the previous owner probably was trying to jailbreak and it got in boot loop.
    How to come out of this?

Thanks

Have you tried using iReb to kick it out of recovery mode? TinyUmbrella 5.11.01 also has this functionality. Also try a DFU restore using another PC, sometimes swapping PC's can fix recovery issues.

Going out of recovery is not an issue, just that after recover it does not boot.
    I also tried DFU from another PC, but no success, same boot loop problem.

Can I delete what greenp0ison was trying to do and start from scratch?

Thanks

You can start from scratch with a full system recovery using iOS 5.1.1 with iTunes, that would erase greenpois0n and reset the device. Put the device into DFU mode. Try downloading iOS 5.1.1 manually, and press shift (alt if your using a Mac)+ click restore with iTunes to specify the file you downloaded.

Try the restore, if you have any further errors a copy of your iPodUpdaterLog file on your computer will be very helpful to see why iTunes is failing to install iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Exactly. So something is wrong with your battery or logic board. It would still show signs of life when unplugged if it was fine.
    Battery swapped with a functioning phone, and voila, phone is working !!! So it was a battery issue. But phone is getting warm, actually really hot, near the battery connector, even if unplugged to PC, so I guess there are other issues as well...

Quote Originally Posted by marcellen View Post
    Battery swapped with a functioning phone, and voila, phone is working !!! So it was a battery issue. But phone is getting warm, actually really hot, near the battery connector, even if unplugged to PC, so I guess there are other issues as well...
    indeed, definitely a hardware issue that may have to do with the dock connector

Do you know what is the spare part i should eventually have to buy?
    Anyhow i fear that is not for me, and i should better sell it..
    Last edited by marcellen; 09-10-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcellen View Post

Do you know what is the spae part i should eventually have to buy?
    Anyhoy i fear tat is not for me, and i should better sell it..
    if you really want to keep that iphone, you can ask in the Hardware section, and I'm sure someone could do it for you for a decent price, but you have to ship it, and its not really guarantee that it is the dock connector also, its just a guess on my part

but if you dont want to deal with it, selling it will be the better option

or if you're not worry about the long term effect of the heat issue, you can always keep it