+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What iOS am I recovering in? How do I know what jail to break out of now?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
My phone is in recovery mode (black screen with white iphone icon) after my attempts to upgrade my 3GS from 4.1 to 5.1.1. On the second try, the screen looked
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default What iOS am I recovering in? How do I know what jail to break out of now?
    My phone is in recovery mode (black screen with white iphone icon) after my attempts to upgrade my 3GS from 4.1 to 5.1.1. On the second try, the screen looked different -- instead of the slider bar with changing languages, I see a moving list of languages, and a moving map of the world, for choosing my language and country. And it seems to remember what I've chosen. so I think I must have landed on a different version of firmware but don't know which one.

itunes says the phone can't be activated because it doesn't have a sim card. I have a t-mobile sim card, and I think the phone may originally have been locked to sprint, based on the menu that came up in itunes pre-"upgrade". So it seems like I must have to jailbreak again, but how can i do that without knowing which version of firmware I have now?

Thank you for any help,

mcmircle

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

You can use TinyUmbrella to find your firmware version. It will find it even for un-activated iPhones.

TinyUmbrella: The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

It will show your device under connected devices. Click it and your firmware version, etc. will display.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So, I clicked on the link and it went to download 7zip, but I never got to tiny umbrella.
    I do wish the links on this site didn't go to unrelated sites. very disconcerting.

How do I know which version of tiny umbrella to use? do i download to my pc first or what?
    Last edited by mcmircle; 08-27-2012 at 08:18 AM.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I hate when links do that :/ The real link is thefirmwaretinyumbrella.blogspot.com

Just choose which version of TU you need, Windows or Mac and download it. The latest version is always on their site, but the very latest is 5.11.01.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

EVO
    Thanks

if you are already on the setup screen, your iphone is on 5.1.1 so you dont need to use tinyumbrella to check your iOS version

you can use redsn0w v0.9.14b2 located at Dev-Team Blog to jailbreak your iphone

however, you cannot jailbreak your iphone 4s (which is assumed since you said it is locked to sprint and you are using it on t-mobile) unless it has been activated first