+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tried to upgrade and wound up with crash -- no home screen, no operatiing system?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I tried to upgrade my 3gs from 4.1 to 5.1 on the apple site. Something didn't finish. I tried to restore. no luck. Even when I can get itunes to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Tried to upgrade and wound up with crash -- no home screen, no operatiing system?
    I tried to upgrade my 3gs from 4.1 to 5.1 on the apple site. Something didn't finish. I tried to restore. no luck. Even when I can get itunes to see the phone, it says it can't be activated because there is no sim card.
    OK, I understand I would need to jailbreak and unlock, but shouldn't I at least have a home screen/desktop? My screen says iphone, the slider rotates among languages. I've chosen English, USA, enable GPS, then it won't activate.
    I can connect to our home wi fi, but that's it. It shows the IMEI number but not the ICCID.
    Can't restore from itunes because the phone isn't "activated", the summary tab doesn't appear.
    Please help.

mcmircle
    whose husband told her to find someone else to do this, but thought she could follow directions

My iPhone is a Part of Me bbrks's Avatar
    Thanks

I tried to upgrade my 3gs from 4.1 to 5.1 on the apple site

Could you please elaborate a bit???????

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not sure what to elaborate on. I followed the link on the apple support site. I have:
    reinstalled itunes
    checked for conflicts in ms config
    Most recently, I pressed on the home and power keys and then held onto the home key after it powered off. This brought me to a screen that showed a plug and said "connect to itunes".
    Itunes screen said it had detected an iphone that was in recovery mode, did I want to restore? I chose yes.
    So itunes went through this sequence of extracting software, restoring software and firmware, verifying, etc.
    Then I got a message that said "your iphone has been restored to factory settings". That's when I got the black andn white screen saying iphone, with the slider in different languages. After language, country, and enable location services it says to activate the phone using itunes. but itunes says there is no sim card, and for over the air activation, I keep getting an error message that the server is down.
    I would check for the operating system but there is no way to choose settings.
    I hope this is more clear.
    Desperately seeking help...

My iPhone is a Part of Me bbrks's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, restoring the phone, means, I think, putting it first to a DFU mode. As far as I understand your post above, you did not put it into a DFU mode, but in the recovery mode. That is not the way to restore it.
    So I would suggest following.
    Download fresh IOS to your desktop (I hope that your phone is SIM free). Check the forum, it should give enough info. of how to put your phone to DFU mode (your phones screen should be blank). Start iTunes (phone is in DFU mode and connected to your PC). Click restore and point to the downloaded IOS. Set up your phone as new and that should be it.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Well, restoring the phone, means, I think, putting it first to a DFU mode. As far as I understand your post above, you did not put it into a DFU mode, but in the recovery mode. That is not the way to restore it.
    So I would suggest following.
    Download fresh IOS to your desktop (I hope that your phone is SIM free). Check the forum, it should give enough info. of how to put your phone to DFU mode (your phones screen should be blank). Start iTunes (phone is in DFU mode and connected to your PC). Click restore and point to the downloaded IOS. Set up your phone as new and that should be it.
    The issue here is the Activation process, not the restoration process

mcmircle, do you have the official sim card?....meaning the sim card that the phone is locked to?

if so, then you may have to give the Apple server some time as it may be experiencing some technical issues

if you dont have an official sim card, you have to "hactivate" it to bypass the activation screen since you are using another carrier