Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM #1
Dear The Internet,
I kneel before you a broken man, with a jailbroken iPhone 3GS with 5.1.1. firmware.
Ok, to make it easier I'll list what happened.
1. My phone was working fine, but the ringer kept going crazy and vibrating at random points.
2. I disassembled the iphone right down to the ringer switch to clean it out.
3. I reassemble the iphone, oh no now it won't sync and is charging INCREDIBLY slowly.
4. After a day of charging its now charging and working fine, but still won't sync.
5. After some research, I decided the problem is a faulty dock connector that I screwed up when taking the phone apart.
6. I replace the dock connector. The phone now syncs but wont boot past the apple logo. ARGH!!!
7. I jailbreak the phone again with redsn0w, still doesn't boot.
8. I restore the phone with iTunes, but it says no SIM card installed. SIM IS installed, although to note I had to change the baseband a few months ago to get it to accept the SIM cards from UK. (phone is from Mexico).
9. I try restore using TinyUmbrella, phone is now showing up fine in itunes with the usual space used etc window. It still doesn't boot.
OK so the phone won't boot past the apple or pineapple logo. I've tryed manual rest, restore, rejailbreak, booting tethered from redsn0w. It just won't start anymore :S. To make matters worse the battery isn't charging well again.
PLEASE, is it fixable? Help me The Internet, you're my only hope.
I've ordered a new battery too.
Last edited by jackdamery; 08-23-2012 at 01:18 PM.
08-23-2012, 04:26 PM #2
08-23-2012, 04:37 PM #3
Yeh, that's how it happened. However in the last hour I lifted the screen up a bit and accidentally pressed the apple logo and it went big and suddenly went to setup . I guess one of the digitizer cables is a bit faulty because when i lift the screen up it works but sometimes needs to be moved around a little for the touchscreen to work. Also I've been trying to install Ultrasn0w to unlock the phone, but every time I turn it off it seems hit and miss if it comes on again, and seems to involve a combination of fiddling with the screen and restarting the phone.
I'm trying to get the phone to restart now, Ultrasn0w doesn't seem to work on my phone this time. It says 'Searching...' but doesn't find the network. :S
08-23-2012, 08:30 PM #4
I have heard that the baseband processor chip can get a bit wonky and start acting like it's bricked (e.g., no Wi-Fi/Bluetooth MAC addresses, IMEI will be zeroed or absent, etc.) when the battery is unable to fully power it. Swapping it out with a good battery (and DFU restoring if necessary) can do wonders.
Frankly, it's hard to start diagnosing software maladies if the hardware house isn't in order... so since it sounds like we're still tweaking hardware components, let's focus on that first.