+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3gs boot cycle question

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I recently sold an iPhone 3gs to a customer of mine. The phone was refurbished but working fine. The customer took the phone home and gave it to her 14
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhone 3gs boot cycle question
    I recently sold an iPhone 3gs to a customer of mine. The phone was refurbished but working fine. The customer took the phone home and gave it to her 14 year old son. The next day she came back and the phone would not turn on. It turns on but never gets past the apple boot logo. I tried doing a DFU restore which itunes said it completed successfully. After the restore the phone still does the same thing. It boots and sits at the apple logo for about 10 - 15 minutes then restarts itself. I thought that maybe the logic board had failed on the first phone i gave her since it was a refurbished phone. I gave her a second phone which was also working fine. She gave it to her son and brought it back the next day with the same issue. I have tried loading a custom ipsw file but it still will not boot. Any idea on how to trouble shoot this? I'm guessing her son tried to jailbreak the device and somehow bricked it.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whs5335 View Post
    I recently sold an iPhone 3gs to a customer of mine. The phone was refurbished but working fine. The customer took the phone home and gave it to her 14 year old son. The next day she came back and the phone would not turn on. It turns on but never gets past the apple boot logo. I tried doing a DFU restore which itunes said it completed successfully. After the restore the phone still does the same thing. It boots and sits at the apple logo for about 10 - 15 minutes then restarts itself. I thought that maybe the logic board had failed on the first phone i gave her since it was a refurbished phone. I gave her a second phone which was also working fine. She gave it to her son and brought it back the next day with the same issue. I have tried loading a custom ipsw file but it still will not boot. Any idea on how to trouble shoot this? I'm guessing her son tried to jailbreak the device and somehow bricked it.
    "bricked" is a loose term that people typically use when their iphones do not work, whatever the issue may be

however, "bricked" really relates to a corrupted baseband in which a phone cannot connect to any WI-FI networks, IMEI, ICCID, and blutooth is blank.

Your issue is not related to a "bricked" iphone.

Typically boot loops are caused by system files interfering causing instability with the boot sequence.

However, since you were able to restore it completely, it may be a different issue, what?.....i dont know exactly

Here's what I suggest that you do:

This suggestions typically deals with people who encounter error 28 when restoring, but it would not hurt to try it in your cause

Take the battery off and leave it off for 1-2 hrs, then put it back on, create a custom NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware using redsn0w v0.9.14b2 and restore again

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok great.. I will try this. Thank you for the response

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whs5335 View Post
    ok great.. I will try this. Thank you for the response
    no problem buddy!

i hope it goes well for you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm wondering if the son loaded the iPad baseband onto them. If the 3GS's are not bricked by the iPad baseband, this should be able to be resolve by restoring to a custom 5.1.1 ipsw.

Edit: Ask that boy what the heck he did to the phones lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I already tried the custom 5.1.1

Both phones are after week 34 of 2011 so he probably tried to load the ipad baseband. I havnt personally done this so I dont know how they act after that happens. Not much I can do about it besides call the mom and complain. Lesson learned the hard way...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Oy...well if EVO's solution doesn't work and he did try to load the iPad baseband on them then those phones are indeed bricked. I think you really do need to ask the son what he did with those phones. I think it shouldn't be your responsibility as a seller to replace those phones for them when they are the ones who broke them. Next time, just makes sure to tell your buyers if the devices had been tampered with (and be assertive even if you're not 100% sure that you WILL know if it's tampered) and resulted in malfunction that is unresolvable, you will not be refunding or exchanging anything. It's probably too late for that now considering you've been kind enough to replace the phones for them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank you for the help.