Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: Newb Adviseis a discussion within the
Generalforums, a part of the
Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgradingsection;
Hi Guys, I have an iphone 4 on firmware 4.3.5, never updated beyond that, ive bought a 4s and have given my girlfriend the 4, shes forgotten her password and...
07-21-2012, 08:31 PM #1Newb Advise
Hi Guys, I have an iphone 4 on firmware 4.3.5, never updated beyond that, ive bought a 4s and have given my girlfriend the 4, shes forgotten her password and is locked out, now i can restore but how do i go about restoring without updating to the latest firmware and baseband? Can i just download the 4.3.5ispw and install that? or will it update my baseband? and will itunes allow me to install this firmware or come up with an error prompting me to install the latest firmware?
Thanks for anyhelp!
Its Iphone 4, 16gb GSM
07-22-2012, 12:33 AM #2
Welcome to MMi bud!
there is only one thing that can allow your iphone 4 to restore back to 4.3.5, and that is SHSH BLOBS
the device needs to have 4.3.5 shsh blobs to restore back to it, you can check what blobs are saved by using a program called tinyumbrela and clicking on Save SHSHs
however, I would suggest going to 5.1.1 as most apps will not support iOS 4.3.5.
if you want to preserve the baseband, download the 5.1.1 firmware here: iPhone 4 GSM 5.1.1 - Downloads - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com
Then follow these steps:
1. Download sn0wbreeze v2.9.6: http://gbit.mirror.devkipz.us/sn0wbreeze-v2.9.6.zip
2. Run sn0wbreeze as an administrator
3. Browse for the 5.1.1 ISPW you downloaded
4. Click Next until you get to the Simple Mode or Expert Mode, and select the Simple Mode option.
5. sn0wbreeze will create a custom firmware (preserves baseband) and will prompt you if you want to "Activate" your iphone. ONLY click YES if you DONT have an official sim card, like an ATT sim card to activate it. If you do have an ATT sim to activate it, click NO. WARNING: If you do click Yes, you may probably lose GPS functions and push notifications.
6. Once sn0wbreeze creates the custom firmware, it will prompt you to follow the instructions to put your phone in PWNED DFU MODE, so follow those instructions.
7. Open up itunes and hold the SHIFT key + click the RESTORE button, and point it to the sn0wbreeze custom firmware.
8. Wait until it restores successfully, and you can preserve the baseband to either use a GEVEY or ultrasn0w
BTW: Perform an itunes backup before proceeding
07-22-2012, 01:59 AM #3
Ah ok, I downloaded the old 4.3.5 firmware while I was waiting for reply as thought that was the way, I'l download the new one and do what you have said, thanks. Have slow internet to! grr. Im on a Mac, is the software available for windows and Mac? thanks
07-22-2012, 02:07 AM #4
since you have a mac, use redsn0w v0.9.14b2 instead here: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-de...edirects=0&d=1
then follow the guide here to create a custom NO_BB (baseband preserved) firmware:
How to Create Custom Firmware IPSW with RedSn0w | iPhoneHeat
once redsn0w creates the custom firmware, use the PWNED DFU option in redsn0w and follow the instructions, then once you are done, follow Step 7
Sorry Bud, re-edited my post to include the MAC's redsn0w version
07-22-2012, 07:48 AM #5
Thanks EVO, I've done everything as stated and successfully updated the firmware to 5.1.1 while keeping the baseband at 04.10.01
Had an error at first which said about the device wasnt eligible for the build, but was a fix to do with the host file
07-22-2012, 12:51 PM #6